Homemade Granola

How about some yummy nutritious granola for a nice quick breakfast (especially that Sunday morning rush)? Or top some fruit and yogurt with this delicious concoction! This is a simple recipe that includes the nutritional benefits of soaking the grains, if you so desire. It is quite delicious and actually rather simple to complete.

I have been wanting to make my own cereal ever since reading about the wonderful processing, heating, and destroying of all nutritional value that goes into preparing store-bought cereals (a process called extrusion), even the healthy organic kinds. Sally Fallon discusses it in detail here.

This granola has a great balance of grains, nuts, seeds and fruit, and it adaptable to your own creative choices – making it a very well rounded balanced breakfast, especially topped with some milk!

I normally make 1/2 of a batch at a time and that makes 2 1/2 quarts, so one whole batch should make about 5 quarts of granola.

• 8 cups rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1 1/2 cups kefir or cultured buttermilk (yogurt often produces a very tart flavor, unless you are skipping the soaking step)
  • 1-2 cups water (use only as much as needed to produce a moist consistency for soaking)
  • 1/2 cup raw honey
  • 1/2-3/4 cup maple syrup (I increased the sweetener just a tad from the original, and I think it was almost perfect – so flex as you desire!)
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 4 tsp cinnamon
  • 4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup dried shredded coconut
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds or chopped pumpkin seeds (I used the pumpkin seeds!)
  • 1/4 cup minced dried figs (optional)
  • 1 cup nuts (optional) – chopped almonds is wonderful!
  • 1 cup dried apples, chopped

Directions:

Mix oats with the melted butter and oil, kefir and water in a large bowl. Cover with a cloth and/or plate and allow to sit at cool room temperature for 24 hours. After the soaking time, preheat the oven to 200° F (93° C).

Place honey, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla in a glass measuring cup in a small pot of warm water on the stove. Bring water to a gentle simmer, stirring honey mixture, until honey becomes thin.

Combine honey and oat mixtures, mixing to incorporate.

Spread mixture out over two parchment paper-lined cookie sheets (don’t use regular paper – I learned this lesson the hard way!). Bake for 2-4 hours, until granola is dry and crisp. Four hours was perfect for a slightly softer granola in our oven, which was what we like. Allow to cool in oven before removing to a container. It will get crisper at it cools.

Mix in coconut, raisins, sunflower seeds, fruit and nuts, as desired. Store in an airtight container. Serve with chilled raw milk.

This recipe is a modification of Natural Food Recipe for Granola. Thanks to Michele at Frugal Granola for passing on the recipe.

It’s Kitchen Tip Tuesday!

128 Responses to Homemade Granola

1. jennifer January 5, 2013 at 8:03 pm #

I see “1 tsp salt” in the list of the ingredients, but in the directions I don’t see when to add salt. Any suggestions?

• Christy January 26, 2013 at 6:34 pm #

jennifer,

Just from looking at the order of ingredients, it seems that you should add it in the 2nd step, along with the honey, maple syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla.

• jennifer February 18, 2013 at 10:48 am #

2. Sireeta December 5, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

First I just want to say what a blessing it has been to have stumbled upon your site. I have made this for the fourth time and we all live it. I have been familiar with the W.A. Price information for a few years now but was never serious about making changes until the last two months. I definitely see such a difference with soaking the oats. My two year old can have this every morning without having irritating bowel movements, versus making oats the regular way.

3. Sarah S. December 30, 2011 at 11:49 am #

This has been the best granola recipe I’ve tried. Yum. I was wondering, can this be frozen?

• Lindsay December 30, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

I’ve honestly never tried so I can’t say.

• Twila January 7, 2012 at 11:00 am #

I have frozen this many times and it’s just as good out of the freezer as when it’s fresh.

• Karrie October 1, 2012 at 10:28 am #

This was so, so good. I have made homemade granola before, not soaked, and cooked at a much higher temp. It came out much too crispy and had a sort of burnt-butter taste. Your recipe came out so much differently, we love it! I love the softer texture. My 2 year old also loves it. Thank you so much for posting this! :) It’s so nice to have a truly healthy granola for us to all enjoy.

4. Rachel November 28, 2011 at 9:50 am #

Just wanted to drop a quick thank you note here… this is amazing granola! It is is our standby now in our house, and we make ours with coconut kiefer and all coconut oil in ours (we are vegan for the most part)- but it is a hit with my sweet family. And- it is our Christmas gift to families this year. We like to attach a recipe with our homemade Christmas treats, so I wanted to ask before doing so, as it isn’t my recipe. I would give you attribution, of course. And, if not, no problem. :) Blessing to you and your family! (Oh, and if you/your family eat rye or barley- sometimes we sub in 2 cups of rye flakes and 2 cups of barley flakes for grain variety and it is deliciously nutty.)

5. Ashley October 15, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

I have 3 questions. :)
    First, do you usually soak your nuts in the oat mixture?
    Second, is there a reason that you add your coconut and sunflower seeds at the end instead of baking them with everything else (& do they not need to be soaked?).
    Third, do you stir your granola during baking and if so does that mess up the parchment/ make a mess?

• Adica October 21, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

I can’t answer all your questions, but I can tell you that if you put in nuts, seeds, or coconut with your oats, they’ll burn very quickly in the oven (especially the coconut)! I toast mine separately in my toaster oven at 350 degrees F while the oats are in the oven, but you could put them in the oven while your oats are cooling. Coconut only needs about 1 – 2 min, while nuts are 5 – 6 min.

I stir my granola once or twice during baking to make smaller pieces, but it doesn’t make much of a mess as long as you take it out of the oven while you stir (learned that one quickly).

6. Kristine March 23, 2011 at 7:48 am #

Okay! I have made this recipe a few times now, and have adapted it a little… just wanted to share what I am doing differently.
    Instead of adding water to the oats, I just use the kefir and make sure to stir a LOT to coat the oats well with the kefir. Without the excess water, you will have more of a cereal granola consistency.
    I also have been using my Excalibur dehydrator with the nonstick sheets to ‘bake’ my granola. I have been doing it on the highest setting. It works GREAT!!
    Thank you so much for this recipe! Everyone in my house loves it!! We have been eating it every morning for breakfast for the last 2 weeks!!!

• lili June 26, 2011 at 5:11 pm #

Hi, Just wanted to say that you have to refrigerate the granolas or they will mold.

• Trish February 9, 2012 at 7:42 am #

You have to refrigerate the Excaliber granolas, or just this recipe in general? I was wondering if I could use my Excaliber, but I didn’t want to use up all kinds of fridge space to store it.

7. Soccy March 6, 2011 at 1:13 pm #

Hi Lindsey

This is a wonderful granola recipe. Each time we have made this, the granola never lasted more than two weeks…and that was making a FULL batch.

I do have a question, however, I read on another site that soaking oats without adding wheat flour will not affect the phytates. I’d hate to go through all the soaking process if it isn’t doing any good. How much flour should we add to your full recipe?

Also, each time I’ve made this, I’ve popped the granola in the oven immediately after soaking and ended up with chewy granola (which I love), but I hear that it’s supposed to be crunchy? Am I doing something wrong? Should I dehydrate the granola before I add the sweeteners and pop in the oven?

Thanks for your help and your wonderful blog.
    -Soccy

8. melissa February 27, 2011 at 6:05 pm #

Does the soaked granola need to be broken up in the food processor? I think I added way too much liquid to mine and it doesn’t taste like regular granola at all. I warmed up the soaking water as per kitchen stewardship (and added lemon juice and whole wheat flour) but I think I warmed it up too much. sigh. Is this granola supposed to taste pretty normal even though it is soaked? mine is kind of rubbery…

• Mindy February 27, 2011 at 6:20 pm #

That was my experience too. We like crunchy granola, but this was more rubbery…that’s a good description. I baked it at 170 all day long in my oven.

• mtany August 15, 2011 at 6:33 am #

I bake at about 150 degrees for a full 24 hours or, for double batches, I use a dehydrator set at 145), turning several times. It get’s completely crunchy. But weather does affect outcome, sometimes it’s more light and crispy and sometimes it’s more dense.

• Lindsay February 28, 2011 at 8:20 am #

After it dries, I break it up by hand. It will not look like individual pieces of oats like a store bought brand but it is crunchy. Unfortunately every oven takes to it a bit differently. Th oven that came with our new house us totally different from my previous one so it takes some experimenting. If it seems to be taking too long, turn our oven up.

9. Jessica M. February 23, 2011 at 11:32 am #

Hi,

I’ve been using this recipe for our family’s granola for the past several months and we love it! Even my husband, who’s usually not crazy about granola says that he really likes it. YAY! :)

I’m wondering if it’s possible to “over soak” the oats. I wasn’t able to get around to cooking my granola yesterday when I should have, and now the oats have been soaking for about 48 hours total. I’m going to start cooking them now…should this granola still be safe to eat? Thanks in advance for your response. :)

10. Mindy February 17, 2011 at 6:50 pm #

Is this granola supposed to be crunchy? I find that with the soaking, it never gets crunchy. I baked it for 7-8 hours at 170! After soaking it was just like a glob of mush.

Thanks for advice about getting it crunchy.

I appreciate any help. I really want it to be healthy.
    Mindy

11. Ashley February 5, 2011 at 10:11 am #

I wonder if I could make granola bars some how out of this same recipe bye adding more honey maybe? Anybody have ideas?

12. Ashley February 5, 2011 at 10:03 am #

I LOVE this recipe. Best granola ever!

Wondering what you think about what I just read….”Be sure to add whole wheat or spelt or buckwheat flour (to soaking oats) in order to have some phytase available to break down the phytic acid. Without it, this process is worthless.”

Is my soaking really worthless without the wheat which this recipe doesn’t include or need?

13. Toni January 29, 2011 at 12:47 pm #

I”m looking to make this before I”ll be heading to the store- and don’t have kefir or buttermilk. Can I substitute something else? Can I make my own buttermilk by souring some milk with lemon? Wasn’t sure if I could then leave it out of the fridge during soaking. Thanks.

• Lindsay January 30, 2011 at 3:37 pm #

You could try souring milk, but it would be easier to just buy buttermilk or yogurt for use in this recipe.

14. Amy Jo January 20, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

I am eager to try this recipe. It sounds wonderful. But, I do have a question. To clarify, for the coconut oil and butter, do you mean 3/4 cup melted coconut oil or 3/4 cup coconut oil, melted? The same for the butter. I assume you mean the latter, which seems to a more logical way to go about it but when I read the recipe it sounds like I should melt the coconut oil and then measure out 3/4 cup. Thanks for your help!

15. Sarah January 19, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

Does anyone know how long this granola stores for? Does it go bad after a week, month etc? I want to make the big batch, but I also don’t want to waste it if it goes bad quickly. Thanks in advance!!! :)

• Lindsay January 20, 2011 at 12:35 pm #

I would say it lasts about a month. IT definitely does not go to waste quickly.

16. melissa January 15, 2011 at 8:25 pm #

Lindsay, first of all, thank you for all that you do! Your website has provided me with so much education and information as to how to feed my family in a better, healthier way. I have truly been motivated by you!!

Secondly, I LOVE this granola. We go through it so quickly, I can’t seem to keep it around! I have recently started a dairy-free diet for myself, though, as to help my baby with his reflux issues, and I’m wondering if you have any suggestions for altering this recipe. Should I just replace the butter with a soy butter substitution, or would you recommend just using more coconut oil? Also, any suggestions for how to replace the kefir? I haven’t tried any of this yet, but I thought I’d see if you (or your readers!) had any initial suggestions.

Again, thank you for your wonderful ministry through Passionate Homemaking!

• Lindsay January 16, 2011 at 8:55 am #

I would recommend using coconut oil. It is the best most nutritious option and I have used it regularly in replacement of the butter. I also would recommend coconut milk kefir as an alternative to kefir. You could also try water kefir or kombucha.

17. Kelly January 4, 2011 at 11:17 pm #

Lindsay, I just wanted you to know what a tremendous blessing you are and how much I admire you – as a woman of God (I love how you describe yourself as a lover of Jesus Christ) and as a truly passionate and knowledgeable homemaker. It is obvious that God has truly gifted you in this area. Your website along with a handful of others and the book Nourishing Traditions, have truly transformed my health. I have become so passionate myself that I start sharing what I have learned with women in by bible study groups and have transformed my passion for cooking into a passion for learning everything I can about real food cooking and sharing it with others. After much prayer and counsel of my husband, I decided to start a facebook page: The Nourishing Home. I mention your site frequently on it, because I truly do appreciate your wisdom and the God-honoring focus you provide. I particularly liked your article about not making healthy living an idol. Anyway, I wanted to take a moment to encourage you and let you know that you are touching many lives in important ways – not just in health and homemaking, but spiritually in evaluating how we can better live our lives in service and gratitude to God! Blessings to you in Christ, Kelly

• Lindsay January 5, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

Thanks Kelly for your kind encouragement!

18. Carly January 3, 2011 at 6:04 pm #

I love this recipe!

There has been three times including the current batch I just made where for some reason the final product has had this funny soapy bitterish taste to it. The first time I tasted the buttermilk afterwards only to find out that it had gone off. this last batch the buttermilk was new and good.

I have been using buttermilk and a combination of coconut oil and sunflower oil. I have made this recipe several times and only 3 of those have turned out funky.

This last bach I tried leaving in a cooler room to soak which didn’t make a difference. One thought I have was the possibility that I heated the coconut oil too hot?

Any thoughts/ideas?

• Lindsay January 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

I would imagine its the sunflower oil. That stuff does not taste very goo.

19. Kristine S. December 20, 2010 at 2:06 pm #

Thank you for this granola recipe! I have tried a few and this is by far my favorite! I make it regularly and try out different additions each time.

20. Bekah November 18, 2010 at 4:04 pm #

I am wondering if I could use Whey instead of Keifer?? I’ve got a good bit of Whey but I’m not sure if that would work? Thank you!

• Lindsay November 19, 2010 at 8:18 am #

Certainly. Most acid mediums are interchangeable in soaking.

21. Lucille Korvin October 17, 2010 at 4:26 pm #

I can’t have dairy so I’m considering using lemon juice and water for the soaking step.
    Will store bought, bottled lemon juice work?

• Lindsay October 18, 2010 at 7:28 am #

Yes, you could use lemon juice but it might taint the flavor. I would recommend you try water kefir or coconut kefir to avoid the dairy.

22. Courtney October 15, 2010 at 3:30 am #

I don’t have access to coconut oil or real maple syrup. can this be made with all butter and all honey? also, how would it be to add the chopped nuts into the soaking process? My family enjoys granola, so I’m quite excited to find a recipe that includes soaking!

• Lindsay October 17, 2010 at 6:29 am #

Certainly. Butter and honey would work just fine. In fact, I use a combination all the time. Yes, you can add nuts to the soaking mixture as well.

• Courtney October 19, 2010 at 9:24 pm #

Sweet! :) I’ll start it today. What Africa lacks in maple syrup, it makes up for it in raw honey!

23. Ashley J October 5, 2010 at 7:03 am #

HELP! I just put my oats in to soak for this recipe and then read that the buttermilk must be cultured, well I just put it all together and used the only buttermilk available to me, which isn’t cultured I don’t think.

Trying to do the best by my family, but I don’t have access to raw milk.

I hope I didn’t ruin 8 cups of oats and all that coconut oil too.

• Lindsay October 5, 2010 at 11:18 am #

Don’t worry about it. Is the buttermilk store bought then? If so, it is most likely cultured. Even if not, soaking will still help!

• Ashley J October 5, 2010 at 3:12 pm #

Thanks for the reply. I guess I don’t know if it is cultured. What does it mean to be “cultured?” It is store bought.

Is it safe to leave it out in room temperature for so many hours like that?

Thank you!

• Lindsay October 6, 2010 at 5:10 am #

Yes, it is completely safe. Does your yogurt not say “cultured” on it? If it is store bought, it should be cultured.

24. Heidi September 22, 2010 at 6:07 pm #

Thank You!
    This is the first “soaked” recipe of any kind that my family has approved of. I can pull the wool over their eyes with bread, but the soaked oatmeal was not going to fly.
    Thank you so much!
    My husband was sure that this was the super oily and sugary granola because he felt it tasted too good to be healthy. It actually has less sugar and about the same amount of oil as the recipe I have been making.
    This is a keeper.