Nourishing Crockpot Carnival

Screen shot 2009-11-16 at 1.20.02 PMWelcome to the Nourishing Crockpot Carnival! So glad you could join me today! This is a place where we are all uniting together to share crockpot recipes that will help busy wives and moms prepare nutritious meals for your families. Are you in a busy season of life? Do you want to serve nutritious whole foods for your family but overwhelmed by the time and effort it may take? Do you have those full scheduled days running errands, here and there, and then come home and become stressed trying to throw dinner together? I personally have been there and love simple meals for busy moms! There are so many days that I have a bit of energy in the morning, but as the day wears on, it goes out the window and who feels like making dinner? Crockpots are simple and very useful tools for helping simplify and maximize your time and energy! Make the meal together in the morning, clean up the mess, and let it cook away. Dinner comes and there is no mess or extra stress. Yah! I am totally there!

So, let’s begin!

Nourishing Crockpot Recipes

1. Homemade Yogurt in the Crockpot
2. Fresh Stock in the Crockpot (Nourishing Days)
3. Crockpot Ragout (a simple easy meal for a busy day!)
4. Crockpot Chicken or Beef Enchiladas (this is a family favorite at our house!)
5. Crockpot Sloppy Lentils (a frugal meatless dinner)
6. Crockpot Chili (did you know you can throw pretty much any soup into the crockpot for the day?)
7. Spicy Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew (Staci @ International Mama)
8. Slow Cooker Recipes (Katie @ Kitchen Stewardship)
9. Crock Pot Steel Cut Oats (Sonja @ Granola Girl at Heart)
10. Cheesy Potato Soup (Jodi @ One Blessed Mama of Boys)
11. Index of Crockpot Recipes (Kelly @ Kelly the Kitchen Kop)
12. Multi-Grain Cereal w/Applesauce (The Monkey’s Mama)
13. Rotisserie Chicken in the Crockpot (Amy @ New Nostalgia)
14. Coconut Curry (Hannah @ Mulberry Spot)
15. Crockpot Ideas -Roast with Applesauce (Emily @ Life in Cincinnati)
16. Crockpot BBQ (Danielle @ Naturally Knocked Up)
17. Spiced Apple Cider (Sarah @ Sarah’s Musings)
18. Double Chocolate Cake w/Hot Fudge Sauce (Sarah @ Sarah’s Musings)
19. Boeuf Bourguignon (Sarah @ Sarah’s Musings)
20. Carmalized Onion Marmalade (Sarah @ Sarah’s Musings)
21. Savory Bean & Spinach Soup (Shaina @ ShainaChristine)
22. Southern Bacon & Beans, Potato Soup (Randi @ TheraFoodics)
23. Tuscan White Bean Soup (Joy @ Graceful Words)
24. Thanksgiving Sweet Potatoes (At Home Momma)
25. Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken (Katie @ Mexican Wild Flower)
26. Taco Soup Recipe (A Virtuous Woman)
27. Crockpot Recipes & Tips (Stephanie @ Keeper of the Home)
28. Cream Cheese Crockpot Chicken (Amanda @ The Rural Bohemian)
29. Amish Pot Roast (Amy @ River Rock Cottage)
30. Refried Black Bean & Pinto Dip (Hallie the Homemaker)
31. Chicken and White Bean Stew (Kari @ Eating Simply)
32. Roast Mushroom Sauce (Jennifer @ MrsBic)
33. Slow Cooker Pinto Beans (Shannon @ Nourishing Days)
34. Chicken Crockpot Pie (Tawnya @ This Great Life)
35. Swiss Steak (Julie)
36.Chicken Cacciatore (Meghan @ Unintended Housewife)
37. Split Pea Soup (Tammy @ Simply Healthy Tasty)
38. Yummy Chicken and Rice Soup (Marsha @ Taste and See)
39. Crockpot Recipes (SnoWhite @Joy in My Kitchen)
40. Corn Chowder & Squash Soup (Allison @Hospitality Haven)
41. Pot Roast & Enchiladas (Shelley @ Make A Home Mom)
42. Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce (Kimi @ The Nourishing Gourmet)
43. Braised Beef Short Ribs (Alexis @ Happy 2 Be Homekeeper)
44. Moroccan Red Lentil Soup (Sherrin)
45. White Chicken Chili (Amy)
46. Pork Roast & Sauerkraut (Jacqualine)
47. Pot Roast (Sheena & Sheanna)
48. 6 Favorites: Granola to Chili (Kari @ Home with Purpose)
49. BBQ Chicken in the Crockpot (Felicia)
50. Chili Con Carne w/Cornbread topping (Chaya @ Comfy Cook)
51. Grilled Thai Beef Salad (Chaya @ Comfy Cook)
52. Crockpot Spinach Sausage Soup (Chaya @ Comfy Cook)
53. Chicken Cacciatore (Chaya @ Sweet & Savory)
54. Chulet – Jewish Recipes (Chaya @ Sweet & Savory)
55. Crockpot Pepper Steak (Chaya @ Sweet & Savory)
56. Chicken Tortilla Soup (Amy)
57. Crockpot Pork Chops (Denise @ Mommy Musings)
58. Spicy White Chicken Chili (Jessica @ Kohler Created)
59. Beef Stew with Chilies (Life as A Symphony)

Plus…check out all the yummy recipes in the comments! Thanks everyone for participating!

Further Resources:

How to Use A Crockpot – 101
A Year of Slow Cooking – one families adventure to cook using a crockpot for 365 days. Find a wealth of recipes!

How to Participate:

1. Share your recipes in a post on your personal blog. Come back and add the link below in the comments. I will then compile them and add them to this post. Feel free to add as many recipes as you would like. You can also add previously posted recipes. Please be sure to add a link back to this post so your readers can find other nourishing recipes.

2. If you do not have a blog, feel free to submit your recipes in the comments of this post.

If possible, please submit recipes that are made from whole food ingredients, or include homemade varieties of any processed food it might include, that way we can give people the option to adjust. If you don’t know where to begin in adapting your favorite crockpot recipes to be more nourishing, go ahead and submit them and we will offer tips and suggestions for you! We want this to be helpful for one and all, whether you are an old-timer in the nourishing foods camp, or whether you are new and eager to learn.

D0 you have any resources or tips to share when using the crockpot? Feel free to share!

83 Responses to Nourishing Crockpot Carnival

1. cheap flights June 25, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

I am in fact grateful to the holder of this web site who has shared this great
    post at at this place.

2. kandy February 2, 2013 at 11:23 am #

Unfortunately some of the recipes are restricted unless a person has been invited to view the blog…disappointing to say the least.

3. Rachelle March 19, 2012 at 10:10 am #

You have blessed my life with this! Thank the good Lord for Pintrest who led me to you and your amazing collection that will make my eye twitch go away and keep my hair from being pulled out! Much love to you and yours!

4. Barbie October 2, 2011 at 5:44 pm #

I never thought I would find such an everyday topic so etnhrllaing!

5. Fritz Caruth November 29, 2010 at 5:28 am #

I’ve invited the family to ours this xmas for a traditional dinner, so the roast is pretty important! I found a lot of recipes at this roast recipes site, but cant decide on one in particular – there’s too many to choose from! It is fun planning such a big christmas meal though!

6. Jenni Wilson December 5, 2009 at 1:04 pm #

Thank you so much for this post! I love healthy recipes and new ideas that save me time and energy.

I just posted a recipe for “Chili and Then Some” which can be cooked in a crock pot. If you want to use meat, just precook with onions and peppers, then add the rest of the ingredients and cook for 4-6 hours.

7. Brandi November 24, 2009 at 1:33 pm #

Hi I love your blog it inspired me to start my own recently. I have a yummy crocpot overnight oatmeal. It is under “breakfast” on the recipe page of my blog… http://livinandloving.wordpress.com/my-recipes/
    Crock Pot Oatmeal
    Place all ingredients in crock pot overnight on low (about 7 hours) or 3.5 hours on high
    Place 2 cups steel cut oats
    2 cups milk (I use almond)
    1 cup water
    2 apples chopped
    2 tablespoons cinnamon
    ½ cup chopped nuts (I use hazelnuts)
    2 tablespoons maple syrup

ENJOY & GOB BLESS!

8. Morielle November 24, 2009 at 12:44 pm #

Hi! I know this is REALLY late but I found your blog a few weeks ago, just after our first baby was born, and have found it to be SO very inspiring. I was very overwhelmed and trying to get used to the whole baby thing during the official Crockpot Carnival but still wanted to share my all time favorite crockpot recipe. Its from Nourishing Traditions so maybe this is cheating but it is very delicious and well worth sharing :)

p.s. thank you for your blog :)

9. Lindsay November 24, 2009 at 1:31 am #

I’ve just started blogging and have been reading your blog for quite some time. Thanks for your encouraging can-do attitude! I wanted you to know that I just found a free download of “Not Your Mother’s Slowcooker for Entertaining” on Amazon using Kindle. You can go to my blog for more info here:http://blessedwithjoy.wordpress.com/2009/11/24/free-slow-cooker-cookbook

10. Summer November 23, 2009 at 8:37 am #

Yay, a reason to use my crockpot! I’ve been thinking about stew for days.

11. denise November 19, 2009 at 9:27 am #

Easy Crock Pot Pork chops
    super easy, very tasty and kid approved!

12. Joscelyn November 19, 2009 at 8:20 am #

My husband came across a recipe last week with VENISON that he wanted me to make. It has different ingridents, so I wasn’t sure. But we LOVED it. (except it was a little too spicy for my 2 year old.:) )
    I made it in my crockpot. I made just a couple changes: I did not add the habanero chile….and I added a lot more chicken stock. I also changed the veg. oil to coconut oil.

Take a look at the link!

VENISON PUMPKIN CURRY

13. Lea November 18, 2009 at 12:35 pm #

Hey Lindsay,
    I’m curious about crock pots. I actually don’t own one yet, but was thinking about asking for it for Christmas. I read a while back about lead in crock pots and I’m wondering if you have any suggestions on models that don’t contain the lead.
    Thanks for your help,
    Lea

• Lindsay November 19, 2009 at 2:33 pm #

Yes, I have done a fair amount of research myself on this topic after hearing these rumors. It does appear like there is a small amount of lead in most crockpots (Rival says it is a safe amount according to the FDA), but there have been no studies to conclude whether this small amount actually leaches into the food or is harmful to our health. We don’t know if the heat destroys it or not. I did come across one study that said that lead can leach after 8 hrs + in a crockpot. Most people don’t use it for that long anyway. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any crockpot on the market yet that is completely lead free. Hamilton Beach are supposed to be better, but still not guaranteed free. It is an area that needs further studying. For now, I have concluded that crockpots are incredibly useful (especially during this season of life) and we have been using them for ages without problems.

14. Jessica November 18, 2009 at 9:57 am #

Our Spicy White Chicken Chili

15. Felicia November 18, 2009 at 6:26 am #

Barbecue Chicken in the Crock Pot! Yummy, Cheap and Easy!

16. Camille November 17, 2009 at 10:54 pm #

What a cool post! Thanks for doing this one!!

17. Kara @ Home With Purpose November 17, 2009 at 8:30 pm #

Finally chiming in! I LOVE my crockpot and use it at least once a week! Here’s six of my favorites, from granola to chili:

18. Sheena and Seanna November 17, 2009 at 8:20 pm #

Hope I am not too late! Great idea having this carnival. I am excited to try the yogurt next week!

PS I love your blog. You are such an inspiring woman!

19. Jacqualine November 17, 2009 at 7:53 pm #

This carnival is so much fun. Here’s my recipe…

I can’t wait to add some of these recipes to my meal plans. My crockpot will get lots of ♥ this winter.

20. Melody Joy November 17, 2009 at 7:03 pm #

Sooooooo grateful for this carnival. I have been wanting to get more use out of my crockpot. For quite some time all we’ve really used it for was when dh made a roast, because I’ve never been accustomed to using one. This gives me so many good places to start. Thanks so much!!

21. Mandi November 17, 2009 at 6:47 pm #

I know it is a little late but here is a Mexican Chicken that my family really enjoys.

Layer in the Crockpot:
    4 boneless skinless Chicken breasts
    Black beans (I use 1 can, haven’t tried it another way yet)
    Jar (fresh or store bought) salsa
    Corn (1 can or about 2 cups frzn)
    Cook 4-6 hours

We serve it wuth rice, nachos, salad, whatever you want.

22. amy November 17, 2009 at 6:47 pm #

OK, I’ve got my white chicken chili recipe up:

can’t wait to browse through all these recipes!

23. Sherrin November 17, 2009 at 6:22 pm #

It is the 18th in Australia, but I’m hoping it is still the 17th over in the USA! http://sherrindrew.blogspot.com/2009/11/moroccan-red-lentil-soup.html

24. alexis November 17, 2009 at 4:16 pm #

I’m late! Here is my link: http://www.happy2bahomekeeper.blogspot.com/2009/11/braised-beef-short-ribs-with-garlic.html. The recipe is braised beef short ribs with garlic mashed potatoes. Great carnival, Lindsay!

25. Kimi @ The Nourishing Gourmet November 17, 2009 at 3:36 pm #

Hey Lindsay,

I know that you are at a friend’s birth right now. But I thought I would let you know that I added a link to this carnival from this recipe for Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce. http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2009/07/crockpot-spaghetti-sauce.html. :-) I wanted to do a new recipe for it, but I was out of town for a bit.