Yogurt in the Crock-Pot

yogurtHave you ever tried making homemade yogurt? If not, you are really missing out! Not only is it very easy and delicious, but also a frugal alternative to the store bought brands. There are two different methods I recommend: in a stock pot or in a crock pot! ;)

As I have shared before in my original post on making homemade yogurt, “Of all the cultured dairy products, yogurt is the most versatile. Yogurt assists the intestines in destroying harmful bacteria by producing an acid environment. Yogurt with active cultures may encourage friendly bacteria production in the digestive tract. Milk protein is more quickly and easily digested in yogurt form over liquid sweet milk. The more tart the yogurt, the greater the absorption of calcium. Eating yogurt can relieve both constipation and indigestion.”

This past week I made yogurt in a crockpot for the first time and it was a big success and very easy! It took maybe 10 minutes of my time and the rest was just letting it sit there and culture away! I kept breaking my candy thermometers, thus making my original method very difficult to complete. With the crockpot, it’s like 1, 2, 3! All’s you need is a 1/2 gallon of your milk of choice, 1/2 cup of yogurt starter (plain yogurt from the store or a previous batch), and a crockpot! It works beautifully! Homemade yogurt will not be as thick as store bought but still tasty. Thanks to Nourishing Days for passing on the method. Check it out here!

We love to add a little maple syrup and vanilla extract for a delicious yogurt! Karis loves yogurt and eats it practically every day. Enjoy!

How do you like your yogurt?

101 Responses to Yogurt in the Crock-Pot

1. Marijan August 9, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

hi there,
    i am interested in making yoghurt in a crock-pot because of it’s size. I know yoghurtmakers max. 2 l. and i found crock-pots for 6,5 l.
    So it’s possible to make 3 times as much in one time.
    do you know what the temperature is from a crock pot? maybe to hot or doesn’t it matter for yoghurt?
    My idea was yoghurt from raw milk, so rawmilk yoghurt.
    can you please advice me

• Lindsay August 10, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

I have found best success in the crockpot to make only 1/2 gallon of raw milk into yogurt at a time. Use the low temperature setting.

2. michelle April 30, 2012 at 3:05 pm #

Hi,
    Can soy milk be used?

3. Andrea February 15, 2012 at 10:23 am #

I’ve made this crock pot yogurt about 4 times now with great success. This morning, I put the milk in the crock pot but forgot to plug it in! I must have been half a sleep still. After 2 hours and 15 minutes, I realized the milk temperature was just 48 degrees. I quickly plugged in the crock pot and am now waiting for it to get it up to about 180. Will this kill off any of the bad stuff that began growing during the first couple of hours between 37 and 48 degrees?

• Lindsay February 15, 2012 at 5:18 pm #

You are totally fine! I wouldn’t worry about it.

4. Rich February 12, 2012 at 8:24 am #

Being of the extreme older generation, I have returned to the 1920 cooking. I made crockpot yogurt for a few reasons. Tired of all the extras in commercial brands, including some of the ‘organic all natural” Also the cost I make yogurt at 1/2 the cost of store bought. I use whole milk, no add cream, powdered milk and such. I adjust the thickness by pouring the mix into a strainer lined with economy muslin. The fabric is not treated and costs a fraction of the cost of cheesecloth, plus you can hand wash in a light bleach solution to sanitize. The straining removes the whey. If it becomes to thick add a little back. I save the whey and use it ricotta cheese. Make the full fat recipe add the whey. The result is a semi reduced fat ricotta. Doing this I cut the cost by 63%. I cook full meals for 5 teenage boys. We eat very well. My monthly yes monthly food budget is $300.00 Makes me wonder sometime of the 2 parent working house hold if it is needed or if 1 stays home and truly takes care of the home would they be farther ahead? Better guidance for the kids, healthier life style. Maybe June Cleaver wasn’t so far off!!

5. Anne April 27, 2011 at 7:13 am #

Hi

I was hoping you could help me out. I started making my yogurt last night, and forgot about it. All that I remembered to do is put the milk in the crock pot, heat it up, and turn it off to cool. Then it sat for about 12 hours before I remembered it. What do you think?

6. Amanda March 22, 2011 at 9:27 am #

I cannot find the specific recommendations for how long and at what setting do I cook the yogurt. Can anyone tell me?

7. Karen November 12, 2010 at 9:59 am #

I tried yogurt in a crockpot but got impatient, but will try again today, using 1 cup mixed berries, 1 cup non-fat dry milk, and 1/2 cup or 1 cup yogurt from the homemade batch I made last week and 1/2 gallon of strawberry flavored whole milk (cows).

The first time I made yogurt I brought the mild to 180 degrees in a pot after waiting for my crockpot to heat it up and I lost patience. Now I read, that I needed to allow it 2 1/2 hours? I think I did, so it might just be ab extra slow cooker?

Last week I watched Youtube.com videos showing how to make Greek or homemade yogurt. I recommend them all, because they don’t do it all the same way. then I cooked milk and 1/2 cup dry non-fat powdered milk stirred in until it was 180 degrees, quick cooled it by pouring it into the 2 – 2 cup yogurt containers (store bought I had saved) and putting them in the fridge, When the temp of the milk mixture in the containers was 105 I removed them from the fridge, and stirred in 1/4 cup store bought plain yogurt into each one, and keep a 1/2 cup in a 1 cup container for the starter yogurt, which I am using to start this new strawberry flavored batch.

I wrapped them up in a towel and put them in the stove next to the oven light, and occasionally turned on the oven for about 1 minute on 150 degrees to keep the heat up a little. The results were very good, but I didn’t strain the batches and they were thick but not like our favorite store bought. I did add some vanilla flavoring and a little bit of sugar or honey, and it made a pretty good flavored yogurt, but this time I am going for sweet dessert type for my boyfriend to try.

• Rich February 12, 2012 at 10:55 am #

you can adjust the “thickness” by placing in a strainer.This allows more of the whey to drain, If to thick add back some of the whey. Also perfect to make yogurt cheese. Blend herbs into yogurt and allow to drain. I am very frugal instead of cheese cloth I line my strainer with economy muslin, Its has not been treated and inexpensive,I add the whey to my full fay ricotta cheese mix to reduce the fat and use the whey. It also works great in breads replacing the liquid.

8. Amanda s. October 21, 2010 at 7:21 pm #

I make yogurt all the time! I usually use the stockpot method, but am eager to try the crockpot method. My kids (4 and 2) and I love it plain with a tablespoon or two of raisins. Not sure why, but the sweetness of the raisins and the tartness of the yogurt is heavenly. I guess I do the same thing with ice cream- handful of salty peanuts with sweet vanilla ice cream compliment each other well.
    I have had a sweet tooth for my whole life, and plain yogurt really helps me combat my sugar cravings.

• Amanda s. October 21, 2010 at 7:25 pm #

Oh, I forgot to mention- I use an entire cup of yogurt starter, instead of half a cup and it thickens pretty nicely. :)

9. Nancy July 30, 2010 at 12:54 pm #

Trying the crock pot yogurt for the first time today…when do you add in flavors such as vanilla or fruits? I’m assuming after it’s completely done and before cooling it for the 8 hours? Would appreciate input. Thanks! Enjoying your site and making small changes here and there to eating and homemaking habits.

• Lindsay August 1, 2010 at 5:34 am #

Yes, you add any flavoring after it has completed the culturing process. I usually sweeten as I serve in order to reserve 1/2 cup of the plain version for the next batch, or remove this amount and sweeten the remaining as desired.

10. Cindy Wilson July 20, 2010 at 9:44 am #

Have you tried making Coconut milk yogurt?

11. Chris Erickson June 3, 2010 at 10:45 am #

I too, am well stocked with rhubarb this season. Strawberry Rhubarb is the classic for pies, but for Yogurt I find that Rhubarb is the perfect compliment to the mutual tartness of yogurt, and that any other fruit benefits from the addition of Rhubarb.

12. Debra May 22, 2010 at 9:23 am #

I found that if you use 1 litre of milk with 1 liter of half & half cream (10 %) instead of using 2 litres of your regular milk, the yogurt will thicken as good as store bought. It only takes 5-6 hours to incubate. Once it’s finished chilling in the fridge, it comes out nice and thick!

It’s rhubarb season at my house right now and I have been making rhubarb sauce. Rhubarb sauce spooned over some homemade yogurt, with a little sprinkle of cinnamon is truly decadent!!