All the Wonderful Uses of Coconut Oil

coconutOne product that pretty much does it all for us! Coconut oil!

Coconut oil is a highly saturated tropical oil derived from coconuts of the coconut palm tree. Traditionally it has provided many health benefits to the peoples who live in areas of the tropics and subtropics where coconut palms grow. Many newly discovered health benefits are now being unearthed through careful research and use in clinical practices.

We have been lead to believe that saturated fats are the dietary contributor to heart disease.

According to Sue Gregg, “There is a double reason not to fear coconut oil. First, it is highly debatable that saturated fats cause heart disease. Uffe Ravnskov, MD, PhD in The Cholesterol Myths (www.NewTrends Publishing.com) presents the facts of exhaustive research over the decades to disprove this theory. Secondly, the saturated fat of coconut oil is different than the long chain fatty acids of meats and also of polyunsaturated fats.” Read the full article here. Read more from Nourishing Traditions and the Weston A. Price Foundation counter-acting the false beliefs about coconut oil here.

Coconut oil has been called the “healthiest dietary oil on earth.”

Health benefits include:

- May help promote weight loss
- Provides an immediate source of energy
- Supplies fewer calories than other fats
- Supplies important nutrients necessary for good health
- Is highly resistant to spoilage (long shelf life)
- Is heat resistant (the healthiest oil for cooking)

According to The Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife:

- Protects against heart disease, cancer & diabetes
- Acts as an antioxidant in its resistance to attack by free radicals,
protecting against degenerative diseases, in general.
- Protects from a range of infectious diseases. Fife lists 28 infectious
and degenerative disease conditions that coconut oil can help to relieve,
reduce or prevent.

I thought it would be fun to compile a master list of all the wonderful uses of coconut oil that we have found in our household. Here it goes…

BODY

Moisturizer/LotionI have problems with dry skin and coconut oil has been a great solution!
Aftershave
do you have sensitive skin? Coconut oil will help heal your skin after shaving.
Deodorant
coconut oil alone can be used as a deodorant, but even more effective in combination with cornstarch/arrowroot powder and baking soda!
Hair Conditioner
-use as a leave in hair conditioner!
Hair Gel/Defrizzer
both my husband and I use coconut oil as a hair gel. It works amazingly well to scrunch and preserve my curls for the day and to keep his hair in line.
Toothpaste
-try our homemade toothpaste recipe!
Make up remover
use a cotton swab and a dab of coconut oil and you would be amazed at how well it works! I use it mainly to remove my mascara, and it not only removes my make-up, but also moisturizes my eyes and skin at the same time.
Chapstick - I have real problems with chapped lips and coconut oil is the only thing that truly helps without peeling my lips. Love it!
Lubricant
Sunscreen

PREGNANT/NURSING MOMMIES

Belly Balm - I cannot guarantee that this will solve stretch marks, but it is very comforting to a stretching belly!
Nipple Cream - what better solution to nourish cracked, sore, or dry nipples

BABY

Diaper salve
Cradle caphaving issues with dry skin on your baby’s scalp? Coconut oil will not only nourish your baby’s skin, it also helps eliminate cradle cap
Lotionrub it all over that baby’s body!

COOKING

Use 1 cup to 1 cup ratio when replacing other oils/butter in recipes with coconut oil.

Replacement for butter/lard/crisco in it’s solid form – greasing pans, pie crusts, etc.
Nutritional supplement – melt and add to smoothies
Replacement for various oils in liquid form – baking, cooking, sauteing, etc.

Read more about using coconut oil as a main oil in cooking here. I use coconut oil primarily now for all my cooking and baking. I have found olive oil to be superior for greasing pans and for homemade dressings, but other than that, it is all coconut oil!

Have any to add to the list? I would love to hear your ideas!

Where to buy this all-in-one product?

Mountain Rose Herbs is a superior source for organic, extra-virgin, and unrefined coconut oil at an excellent price. Nutivia, Tropical Traditions and Wilderness Family Natural are other recommended brands.

Mountain Rose Herbs. A herbs, health and harmony c

100 Responses to All the Wonderful Uses of Coconut Oil

1. eticaret February 11, 2013 at 11:23 pm #

Simply desire to say your article is as amazing. The clearness for your put up is just spectacular and i could assume you are a professional in this subject. Fine with your permission let me to seize your RSS feed to stay updated with approaching post. Thank you one million and please continue the gratifying work.

2. G Smith February 9, 2013 at 7:52 am #

There’s a newly released e-book on amazon.com we’ve discovered called, “The Coconut Oil Health & Beauty Book” by M.D. Fry, PhD. We’ve seen many books on the topic of coconut oil uses, this one, however, is particularly simple, practical and one of the more compete books we’ve found.

3. Debbie January 8, 2013 at 9:20 pm #

I want to know more on coconut oil,all the benefits,and how to use .thanks

4. Scarlett Suermann January 8, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

cradle cap can be treated also with topical niacinamide since it reduces inflammatory response and also increases skin healing.-

Look at our very own blog as well
    <a href=" http://www.foodsupplemendigest.com/chamomile-tea-benefits/

5. Feyi M. G October 5, 2012 at 11:18 pm #

i love this information i never knew before that coconut oil is this good. I’ve bought some and i will start using it. Thanks Lindsay, i appreciate u.

6. JM July 18, 2012 at 7:31 am #

I add it to my oatmeal in the morning,and a smoothie in the afternoon.

7. C June 30, 2012 at 3:39 am #

Lindsay-thank you for your helpfulness to me.
    What do you use to grease muffin tins, pans, griddles, etc? What’s a quick option if I cut out using sprays?

• Lindsay June 30, 2012 at 7:41 am #

I keep butter wrappers (after unwrapping a stick of butter, I stick the paper wrapper in the freezer) for quick access for buttering baking trays and such.

8. connie damico May 7, 2012 at 1:50 pm #

where can I purchase your other products. I live in chicago near downtown

9. chris January 15, 2012 at 12:18 pm #

I added a teaspoon full of coconut oil to a hot cup of coffee. It flavored the coffee just a bit. Is it ok to do this?

10. Susan July 29, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

I’ve been reading about the all of the marvelous benefits of coconut oil for many years now and I’ve tried to keep it on hand. I’ve tried to take it orally by the tablespoonful, but have found it to be very unpalatable for me. Can anyone suggest a good way to take it to reap all the benefits of this wonder food? I would love to be able to consume at least 5-6 tablespoons a day, but I can’t stand the taste of it! Someone please help. Thank you.

• Lindsay July 30, 2011 at 5:39 am #

I don’t consume it just straight, but I fry with it and add to smoothies every day!

• renae August 2, 2011 at 2:55 pm #

try expeller pressed coconut oil from tropical traditions it doesnt taste like coconut oil but still has most nutritional value of virgin coconut oil

• Loni March 5, 2012 at 5:11 pm #

I just sauteed some green beans with it and garlic and they were amazing!

• Jamie May 5, 2012 at 9:43 pm #

Hot herbal tea and stevia

• Tamara August 6, 2012 at 11:28 am #

Add honey and cinnamon,they are both good for you and taste great !

11. Mascara January 13, 2011 at 10:47 pm #

I’m also trying this mascara out and am loving it already even though I’m only 10 days into using it! My lashes look longer and feel healthier! Am excited to see the results if I keep on using it! ^_^

12. phil marino January 9, 2011 at 10:04 pm #

For someone who chose a website name called Passionate Homemaking, you sure skipped over a definition for Lubricant. I don’t think you mean to oil a squiky hinge on the hood of your car. Perhaps another use?

• kd February 16, 2011 at 11:26 am #

as a personal lubricant it works quite well (ie in place of KY and other lubricants) not sure if it’s safe to use with Condom’s tho

• C R March 9, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

Oils can break down latex but are typically safe with a polyurethane condom!

13. Patty November 23, 2010 at 7:36 am #

I love coconut oil!! I have been using it for everything for the last several months and am thrilled to find your mayo recipe! Thank you!!