Homemade Natural Deodorant

For the updated version of this recipe, FAQ, along with demonstration video, please click here.

Did you know you can make your own wonderful deodorant with just a few completely natural ingredients? This recipe is awesome! It is frugal and very effective! Aaron & I have been using it for over a year now, and it has worked wonders. It smells wonderful, but very faint, so the hubby does not mind! We have tried all natural brands without much success, until we tried this! It is especially important for women to take thought to the harmful aluminum materials in deodorant as it has been linked to breast cancer, being that the armpits are so close to the chest.

Ingredients:

5-6 Tbsp Coconut oil
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch

Combine equal portions of baking soda & arrowroot powder. Then slowly add coconut oil and work it in with a spoon until it maintains the substance you desire. It should be about the same texture as the store bought kind, solid but able to be applied easily. You can either scoop this into your old dispensers or place in a small container with lid and apply with fingers with each use. After applying the product, you can just rub the remains into your hands as a lotion! This recipe lasts about 3 months for two people with regular daily use.

Read here and here for more wonderful uses of coconut oil!

For the best price around on organic quality coconut oil, check out Mountain Rose Herbs. Delicious for so many uses!

Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin

457 Responses to Homemade Natural Deodorant

1. Anne January 4, 2014 at 4:54 pm #

This recipe is very nice Make sure you use aluminum free baking soda

2. Nicole December 8, 2013 at 3:26 pm #

Is there an alternative to the coconut oil if you have a coconut allergy?

3. Ciel November 25, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

I have used this formula with success, however, my biggest issue with it is that I still sweat, which I understand is a natural thing for my body to do, and I do not have odor. BUT, when the moisture dries, my clothes are left with white underarm discoloration. It seems to be permanent, perhaps from the baking soda? Any suggestions on what to do? Some if my blouses are now unwearable and they are not old at all.

4. Natasha September 24, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

Didn’t want to read through 400+ comments…well, wanted to, but don’t have time!
    Does the coconut oil grease up the underarms of the clothing you are wearing? : /

5. Erin August 15, 2013 at 6:48 pm #

Try adding Tea Tree essential oil to this recipe. It’s not harmful, it’s natural, and it’s smells great. Plus it has antibacterial components that fight against smelly bacteria. I used this recipe plus the TTO and loved it.

6. Staci July 14, 2013 at 5:41 am #

WOW! I tried this yesterday and it really works! I’m so thankful! :)

7. www.jillputzier.com April 25, 2013 at 7:34 am #

Unquestionably consider that which you said. Your favorite reason
    seemed to be on the internet the simplest factor to take into
    accout of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while other people think about worries that they just don’t realize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as smartly as defined out the entire thing with no need side effect , other folks can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

8. Dezarae April 17, 2013 at 6:29 am #

For all of you with irritation under your arms and clogged pores. it may help to do this! I found this article today. :) http://www.livestrong.com/article/227278-how-to-smooth-out-large-clogged-pores/