Unique lives sit face to face across a table. Each possessing a heart that naturally yearns for love, friendship, and acceptance. Part of the beauty of hospitality is the conversation that is shared. The lives that open up and glean wisdom from one another. The hope imparted as we share a bit of our lives with others. Our conversation can easily focus on the lasted news, gossip, or film, but with a little preparation, they can be edifying and inspiring. Pray that the Lord would direct your conversation. The prayer is that our guests would leave the doors of our homes being encouraged and built up in their faith or with seeds of God’s love planted in their hearts.
Here are some helpful questions to guide you in your conversations during hospitality. Often times, I simply pick two to three questions from this list, depending upon the audience. You only need a few to get you started and then conversation will flow more naturally. Great ice breakers in a sense. If we simply ask questions of our guests and inquire about their stories, the Lord can open up awesome opportunities to minister to their needs.
People love sharing their stories, so it doesn’t really take much actual talking on your part. Just offer a listening ear and a heart sensitive to the Spirit, and see what God can do.
Thanks to GirlTalk for these helpful starters.
Hospitality Questions (Downloadable PDF)
Questions to Get to Know People Better
1. Where did you grow up?
2. Where did you go to school and what did you study?
3. How did you meet your spouse and how long have you been married?
4. What dreams do you have for the future?
5. What is one thing you have never done that you wish you could do?
6. What is the most important thing you have accomplished in your life?
7. What do you enjoy doing with your spare time?
8. If you could do anything other than what you are doing now, what would you do?
9. Ask questions about their work, their kids, where they like to vacation or their favorite foods.
10. What books are they currently reading?
Questions for Biblical Fellowship
1. What is one thing you could do this year to increase your enjoyment of God?
2. In which spiritual discipline do you most want to make progress this year and what are you doing to this end?
3. Who is one person you would like to spend time with asking questions about their relationship with the Lord?
4. What is one new way you could help strengthen the church?
5. What is one thing you could do to improve your prayer life?
6. What habit would you most like to establish this year?
7. Who do you most want to encourage this year?
8. What book, in addition to the Bible, do you most want to read this year?
9. In what area of your life do you most need growth and what will you do about it?
10. What one biblical doctrine do you most want to understand better this year?
Questions to Get to Know Internationals Better
1. What country are you from?
2. Can you describe your daily life and family traditions in your home country?
3. What was your education like and what are your interests?
4. What are your impressions of our country?
5. Were you brought up in a religious home?
6. What foods are unique to your country?/ what food from our country do you enjoy?
7. Would you teach me a few words in your native language?
8. Are there any questions you would like to ask me?
9. What are your special holidays and how do you celebrate them?
10. Is there any way I can serve you?