Four Secrets to Thick, Creamy Yogurt Every Time

Written by contributing writer, Trina Holden

Yogurt is one of the simplest traditional foods and a staple in the real food kitchen. Everyone should make their own. The problem is, many have tried to master this simple technique only to have it turn out runny, flavorless, or sour. Eventually they return defeated to the expensive, overly sweetened, store bought version that is all-too-often stripped of good fats.

I have been making yogurt for sixteen years and only in the last six months been able to obtain consistent results with a yogurt that is creamy and thick as custard. (See  the photo – my yogurt is so thick it can stand on its head!) My kids crave it and even my husband will eat it–hooray!

If you have not been satisfied with your yogurt attempts so far, I encourage you to check out these tips and see if there isn’t something here that was missing from your previous attempts. Many of my friends have finally achieved the goal of making their own yogurt by following this step-by-step recipe and keeping in mind these tips…

The Four Secrets to Thick and Creamy Yogurt Every Time

• Keep it fresh! Get new starter every month or so. You can use your own yogurt for starter several times over, but if your yogurt starts turning out runny or has a funny consistency, it’s time for new starter.
  • Keep it clean! Sterilize the jars you will incubate and store the yogurt in. You want to have control over what bacteria and cultures are growing, so always start with a clean slate.
  • Respect your starter! Don’t beat it to death – let it retain some of its form and dignity and it will work well for you every time.
  • Let it rest! A long incubation time gives the yogurt a full flavor and thicker consistency. Don’t be afraid to leave it overnight!

Yogurt in 10 Simple Steps

1. Pour 1/2 gallon of milk int a large, heavy bottomed sauce pot. For vanilla yogurt, add 1T. vanilla extract and 1/2 c. maple syrup, honey, or sucanat.

2. Heat milk to 180 degrees, or until it bubbles and forms a sking. Turn of heat.

3. Cool milk to 120 degrees. or until you can keep your finger in the milk without burning yourself. Place pot in sink of cold water to speed up this step.

4. Meanwhile, sterilize 2-3 qt. jars by pouring boiling water over them and letting them drain.

5. When milk has cooled, scoop one cup milk into a small bowl and gently swirl in 1/2 c. yogurt (any fresh plain yogurt from the store will work or you can use a yogurt starter)–no stirring!

6. Pour starter mixture back into pot and swirl gently. You are introducing the starter to the milk, not incorporating it.

7. Pour the milk into sterilized jars, if you see chunks of yogurt, you know you did steps 5 and 6 right! Try to divide these chunks between your jars.

8. Cap jars and set them in the pot you warmed the milk in. Fill pot to rim of jars with hot tap water and leave in sink or on counter.

9. Let yogurt incubate 10-18 hours.

10. Move jars to fridge to chill.

Enjoy!

Note from Trina: This recipe is from my new ebook, Real{Fast}Food. It’s full of time saving tips for the real food kitchen, teaching you how to plan better, cook faster, and eat healthier! You’ll find lots of great recipes and techniques to get you through the busy summer months. For more information, visit Real{Fast}Food.

About Trina Holden

Trina enjoys offering hospitality from their 1800’s farm house in Upstate New York. She loves to encourage women to nourish their families, celebrate the journey, and choose to thrive at TrinaHolden.com.

161 Responses to Four Secrets to Thick, Creamy Yogurt Every Time

1. misskpang November 18, 2013 at 7:14 am #

Help! When I make yogurt with powder starter, it turns out awesome. I follow instructions and set aside a cup to
    use as starter for the next time. When i use my own starter the yogurt turns out lumpy/grainy. I have to stir it tosmooth it out. do u have any suggestions?

2. Julie September 27, 2013 at 11:18 am #

Did you strain your yogurt in that jar? Did you add vanilla and sweetener while that batch was cooking? What milk did you use? That is very thick.

3. PAM September 18, 2013 at 9:12 am #

Hint – if you use a cooler to incubate and don’t like the mess of floating in hot water, put some towels in the dryer and get hot. I use a heavy duty styrofoam cooler but a regular cooler would work and put in the quart jars and wrap in the hot towels from the dryer. Voila, no mess!

4. Natalie September 2, 2013 at 4:26 am #

I know this post is old but hoping for some input. I REALLY want to make RAW yogurt and retain the benefits of the raw milk in my yogurt but I’m finding that difficult. Raw needs to be heated to under 120F. Is there any way to make a thick, creamy yogurt without pasteurizing it (heating to 180F)? Right now I get a product of poor consistency that requires straining before use with about half of it whey. The end product, even when lightly strained is grainy in texture. When strained heavily (about 1/2c from 4c) it does make an excellent Lebanese cream cheese that is incredible salted and herbed ;) But, that is not my goal, it was purely an accident of forgetfulness lol

• ATP September 20, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

You can try adding a little nonfat powdered milk, to increase the solids. However, the high temp is not just pasteurization, its to denature the milk fat and help the fermentation.

• yoghurt December 4, 2013 at 11:02 am #

Hello Natalie,
      If you still found no answer to your question- I use milk straight from the cow (that sounded weird :) ). when making yoghurt i heat the milk only to the point where I can just hold the tip of my little finger for few seconds in it (sorry, don’t have a thermometer, but i really don’t think it is over 120, less if anything). Then add one table spoon (i make 1 litre at a time) of org. live yoghurt (bought from the small farm shop), and then add two more spoons once tranffered into the glass dish (it’s baking deep tray, maybe the way it ‘spreads’, as i’ts not a jar, also matters), Cover it with plastic lid, wrap into a thick towel and put it on the stool next to (one side touching it) the house radiator. Leave it for almost 24 hours (as it usually gets forgotten) (but, mind you, the heating is off during the night).
      Once chilled the yoghurt is smooth amd really tasty. I mean- REALLY tasty :) . So, try making less at a time, maybe a different dish, good starter, and longer/ shorter ‘keeping’ time.
      Good luck!

5. Kate August 13, 2013 at 5:09 am #

I use 2% or whole milk that I heat to 185 degrees slowly. Once at 185 I remove to a ice bath in my sink to reach 110 degrees. Then pitch 6 ounces with either all natural plain yogurt or left over batch Ive made. Best to keep the yogurt your pitching at room temputure. Set the pot covered on a heating pad like the ones used for back pain. Keep the heating pad on either the high setting or the settting just below for 7 to 8 hours. To thicken just add 1 cup of pwoderd milk to your food processor or spice grinder that will give you a very fine powder. Then add a few table spoons to your yogurt before you eat it. As thick as store bought.

6. visit this site right here July 5, 2013 at 12:25 am #

I need to to thank you for this fantastic read!! I absolutely loved
    every little bit of it. I have you book marked to look at new things you post…

7. Melissa N April 17, 2013 at 6:28 pm #

I have made yogurt many times with many times of milk…GOAT,RICE, COCONUT, FROM THE STORE…

MY yogurt has NEVER turned out so good as THIS method. I made it yesterday and let it incubate all night. It incubated for 18 hours. I also added some extra acidophillus(or however you spell it) and I used raw milk. OMG! AMAZING! It is like greek yogurt!

Thanks for sharing these tips. I followed them to the teeeee and it worked perfectly! WOW!

8. Sue March 2, 2013 at 1:14 pm #

It is still sssoooooooo much creamier and like greek style if you can spend the extra effort to strain it through clean gauze or paper towel lined in a large sieve over a bowl to catch the drips….this is best done whilst chilling in the fridge…results are amazing…

9. Amanda Coombs March 2, 2013 at 5:32 am #

I found this post via pinterest. I’ve been making yogurt for over a year now and love it. I clicked this post to see the secret to make it thinker and low and behold I’ve heard many good things about you from my friend Kristina Petrella. :) Thanks so much for the tips and I’ll be incubating my yogurt longer next time and getting a fresh starter. :)

10. Tamara December 23, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

I use my dehydrator, and usually will make it in 8 oz reusable plastic cups.

11. Shaolai November 12, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

Hi, I’m living in Asia and good greek yoghurt is not very easy to get and extremely expensive. I would love to try making this at home. We often buy the long life pasturized milk for our home. Would this kind of milk work? I hope someone could help me out very soon…Thanks so much in advance.

• becks December 7, 2012 at 4:49 am #

no… UHT (shelf stable) milk will not work to make yogurt (the high pasturization temps somehow damage the milk proteins) but you can use powdered milk…

• nancy April 16, 2013 at 9:44 pm #

I make yogurt all the time with uht milk. I uses skim milk and chobani plain yogurt and it comes out great everytime. My methods are the same as outlined here.

• Molly March 25, 2013 at 3:42 am #

I also live in Asia and have had no problem making yogurt with UHT milk. I make it 2L at a time and add 1/2-1cup full cream powdered milk. I have purchased a yogurt maker, but also made it without the machine. I put my jars of yogurt in an insulated bag and wrapped an electric blanket on L around them. I let it set overnight and then refrigerate.

12. Sue September 2, 2012 at 3:27 am #

Does anyone here know why my yogurt is wonderful and thick until the next day then turns runny

13. Sue August 21, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

My yogurt is working very well but I wonder if anyone know why it is not as sour as tge original starter even first time use..i like it very sour like the Greek yogurt plus the consistency is very thick but stringy like glue ..i leave in oven with just light on for 15 hours..any less and it is not near sour enough.

• Brooke November 1, 2012 at 10:36 am #

In my experience making yogurt, the longer you let the yogurt incubate and the lesser fat content you use (think skim milk or 1%), the more sour it is. I’ve never had ‘stringy’ yogurt before, but you can try straining any excess whey out using a strainer lined with paper towels- maybe that would help?

• Sue November 1, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

Thanks…i have since been searching other websites and saw a fab one that has made my yogurt perfect…..i now use A2 milk with a different protein than before and strain through gauze and i am left with perfect thick Greek style yogurt….i appreciate your reply

• becks December 7, 2012 at 4:53 am #

you may want to incubate at a higher temp…i find that if i let mine drop below 105 degrees F i get the “gluey” yogurt…if you keep it at 110-115 for 12-16 hours it will be more like thick sourcream…but your starter will also change the end result, i had to try 3 different brands until i got one that gave the results i wanted (each company uses different combinations of cultures…)

14. Gina August 5, 2012 at 4:15 am #

Just tried making yogurt using someone else’s recipe – despite following it to a T, it came out extremely runny, almost like kefir – the chickens liked it … I’m going to try again in a few days using your method – hope it works this time around. I’m using whole raw goatsmilk, do you think this could be doing anything to affect the consistency?

15. jean July 29, 2012 at 7:18 am #

I use raw goats milk for my yogurt. It is from my own Nigerian Dwarf Goats. Nigerian Dwarfs do not give as much milk, 1 to 11/4 quart a day, but the taste is very rich, sweet, and non gamey. Because the quantity is small (less water) compare to larger goat breeds the butter fat is high at 6% and is more like half and half on cerial or in your coffee. Goat milk has a smaller protain and is more digestable than cows milk.
    In making the yogurt, I do not heat the milk above 120 degrees to keep all the good bactera and let cool to 112 degrees before adding the culture. The culture is from prevous made yogurt bach or from a package or a combination. I do add some dry milk for thickening.
    I make my yogurt in quart jars that I bleach and boil before hand with canning lids that seal with the heating of the yogurt. I put my jars in a soft cooler with a heating pad and a blanket over the top. I leave it over night. I have heard that the longer the culture cooks that people with lactose intolerence have less or no problem with the yogurt. The goat yogurt is a live! The flavor is out of this world and has no comparason with any comercial yogurt you can buy in the USA.

16. bek July 23, 2012 at 11:44 am #

Where do you get 3 qt jars? I have a million jars in my house but none that size. Can I just use 3 2qt jars instead. Is there any magic behind the jar size?

• Lindsay July 23, 2012 at 1:19 pm #

Its actually two half gallon jar I believe. You could use 4 quart size jars instead.

• bek July 24, 2012 at 5:04 am #

Where do you get jars that big? I can only find 1 qt jars. Can I use more smaller jars? I don’t have room in my house or budget to buy more but I really want to make this and already bought the milk. thanks!

• Lindsay July 26, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

You could certainly give it a try!

• Mary August 21, 2012 at 10:29 am #

I always use four 1qt. sized jars. It makes it easier to fit them in the pot of water as they incubate overnight. You can also flavor each jar individually this way for multiple flavors (by stirring in things like pureed blueberries after you have made the yogurt).

• Jenny November 21, 2012 at 8:39 am #

I think she was saying to use 2-3 quart jars as in 2-3 single quart jars.

17. Jeanne July 12, 2012 at 5:28 am #

I have a piolet light in my gas stove but during the summer it is too hot to culture and I have to have the door cracked open with a dish towel.

The best method was to use a two gallon insulated ice chest. One gallon for yoguert culture and one gallon next to it with hot water. Cover and leave overnight.

I do like using raw milk and the few tablespoon’s of powdered milk to thicken.

18. crockpot yogurt July 12, 2012 at 4:05 am #

I use my crockpot to make my yogurt. I put in 1/2 gallon of skim milk into my crock pot and set the temperature to low for 2.5 hours. After the 2.5 hours, I turn off the crock pot and leave the milk for 3 more hours (the cover is on the crockpot throughout all of the phases of yogurt making). After 3 hours, I remove 2 cups of the milk, add 1 cup of powdered milk and 6 oz of Greek nonfat, unflavored yogurt to the 2 cups of milk. I stir all of this together. Then I pour the 2 cups of mixture into the crock pot with the remaining milk and stir one more time to make sure everything is mixed. Then I cover the crockpot, and put a large towel over the covered crockpot. I leave this in place 8-10 hours or overnight! It is thick (not as thick as the posting), but still thick enough for me to add to oatmeal or add fruit or whatever I want. I have not bought store yogurt since November when I learned how to make homemade yogurt.

• Becky December 3, 2012 at 9:35 am #

I use this same method for my yogurt. I have found that if I put the crock pot directly in the fridge after it sits over night and let it chill before I stir or use it, the yogurt is much thicker.

19. Renee July 11, 2012 at 10:59 pm #

Hi! I ran across this article via Facebook, & am delighted! I have never made yogurt, so I was curious: can one get botulism or another illness w/homemade yogurt? I’d really like to make my own…everything…if possible. Thanks!

• Richard May 31, 2013 at 10:55 am #

It’s possible but very unlikely. Heating the milk to 180 degrees will kill any bacteria that might be present, and the bacteria used to make yogurt are very resilient. They beat out pretty much anything else that tries to grow in dairy. That’s why yogurt is and has been for thousands of years used in places where refrigeration isn’t readily available to keep milk from spoiling

20. Pam July 11, 2012 at 10:53 pm #

This is basically the method I have used for years. At that time Yogurmet sold a system that included a 2 liter plastic bucket w/lid and a stryrofoam sleeve (about 1.5 in thick) that fit the bucket perfectly. They discontinued it shortly after, but I have never used a better system. The plastic bucket can be placed in hot water to heat up, removed to cool down, and then placed in the styrofoam sleeve and sealed with the styrofoam lid for for as long as you want it to culture (at least overnight). It maintains warmth perfectly. I have contemplated finding the styrofoam bead kits for making duck decoys and creating a similar system for half-gallon glass jars.

• Karin January 29, 2013 at 5:34 pm #

Pam, could you share your method for using the yogourmet? I own one of these and have never been able to perfect a method that seemed to work correctly. I bought it because it seemed so simple, but hasn’t turned out to be that way for me. Perhaps I just am doing something wrong. Thanks so much for sharing!

21. June July 11, 2012 at 9:47 pm #

I whisk in 2 tbsp powdered milk into the milk before heating to get mine thick and creamy. I don’t add any flavours. I also wrap mine in two towels and leave on the kitchen bench overnight. Will never go back to buying store bought yoghurt.

22. Cyni July 11, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

I have been advised that a yogurt maker is not needed – put very hot water in a cooler (like for camping) and leave your yogurt jars in there overnight to culture. This advice by was from Ellen Sandbeck. author of Green Housekeeping, Slugbread and beheaded Thistles and Laverms Handbook of Indoor Worm composting – among others. Check her out on amazon!

23. Aimee July 11, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

I’m allergic to dairy. Can this be done w/coconut or almond milk? I’ve tried it in the past w/a yogurt maker and it turns out only slightly thicker than the milk. :(

• Marci October 18, 2012 at 10:16 am #

Yes, but you need to add sugar (for the bacteria to feed on) and gelatin to thicken. I would use a commercial coconut yogurt as your starter (So Delicious, for example), or any non dairy yogurt you can find. I have been using a vegan culture from Cultures for Health without any success. Here’s a good recipe: http://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/2009/04/25/homemade-coconut-milk-yogurt/

24. nicolle July 11, 2012 at 6:53 pm #

what about raw? Have you used or tried raw milk?

• Cyni July 11, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

I wish I could get raw milk!

• Mary R July 11, 2012 at 7:17 pm #

nicolle… I used to make my yogurt with organic milk from the health food store…I started to have availability to raw milk several years ago… been using it ever since in my yogurt…WORKS GREAT! It has always produced a very thick & tasty plain yogurt… can stand a spoon in it!

25. Terri Miller July 4, 2012 at 5:17 am #

Love this article! I recently purchased a yogurt maker at a garage sale. I am in love with the yogurt!! I don’t flavor mine…I like it the way it is, but I didn’t like the consistency. I am glad to have read your article…I have things to try, now!

Blessing!

26. Marine July 3, 2012 at 6:55 am #

it worked it worked!!!!

First time ever :)

I let it incubate 15 hours wrapped in lots and lots of blankets in a cupboard (my oven setting is too high, I have no yoghurt maker, microwave, heating pad or cooler and it didn’t work immersed in warm water)

thank you!

27. Sue July 1, 2012 at 8:56 pm #

I love this recipe but my yogurt turned out flavorless, though beautifully thick and creamy…not nearly as tart as the original starter greek yogurt with live cultures..any hints for me ?

• Carmen July 2, 2012 at 4:15 am #

I would let it culture little bit longer. I find that the longer it cultures, the tarter it becomes.

28. Heidi April 2, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

Could you do the same but with goats milk instead of cows milk?
    Would you get the same results?
    Obviously you’d have a different flavor because of the stronger milk taste but consistency etc?

• Anne Foster Angelou July 11, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

My husband was born in Greece and his parents were professional shepherds. They made feta and mizithra for sale. They made their own yoghurt. Goat’s milk yoghurt will never be thick because it is low fat to begin with. It will always be a little more runny, never like “Greek” style yoghurt. I recommend for cow’s milk that you use full fat. Full fat only means 4% anyway. That’s not a high fat content.

• Anne Foster Angelou July 11, 2012 at 8:32 pm #

Fresh goat’s milk is sweet and delicious, nothing like the taste of soft goat cheese which I also like very much. I was reluctant to try it when Dimitri’s aunt came across the road in the village to mother’s house. She had a pan of fresh goat’s milk straight out of the goat and gently warmed/simmered on the stove. After tasting that milk, I have loved goat’s milk ever since. The feta we prefer is a combo of goat and sheep’s milk, although traditional feta is made from sheep milk.

• Tania Farries May 21, 2013 at 11:49 pm #

Hi Anne,
        Your message sends me back to when I lived in Corfu, I am in England now and I so miss living there. Do you have recipes for the goats yogurt and greek yogurt please? I keep trying to make it but without any luck, it keeps coming out stringy. Many thanks

• Dawn July 15, 2012 at 6:38 pm #

I do make goat yogurt. Goat milk is also 4% fat, but it doesn’t set up as thick. Be careful not to heat it above 165-170, and add adequate starter. Then culture for a bit longer than you think (I do nearly 24h). I also use the Greek starter from Cultures for Health. About every other batch comes out thicker, and the next thinner. That’s pretty good, I use the thinner batches for more smoothies and over cereal. Good luck!

29. Cori January 26, 2012 at 5:40 am #

Another way to incubate your yogurt…. put it in your microwave. I have an over the stove microwave that has a light that shines on my stove. I put my yogurt in the microwave and turn the light on and the temp stayed at 90* when my house was 68*. BTW -don’t turn the microwave on :)

30. BobG January 26, 2012 at 5:07 am #

Thanks very much for this post – I’m a recent but passionate convert to “Greek”-style yogurt (the epiphany was that yogurt + fresh berries was a more delicious breakfast than oatmeal, kept me full until lunch, and (thanks, berries!) even had more fiber), but quickly got tired of paying the premium for it; which led to straining “normal” yogurt; which now leads to making it from scratch.

A consistent problem that I’ve had (this being winter in New England, and me being frugal with the heating dollars) is finding a warm enough place to incubate it. I have an electric oven (no pilot light for warmth), and an old-school slow-cooker that gets way too hot too fast on “Low,” but cools quickly once turned off, and I’m not inclined to baby-sit it all day. I like the idea I’ve heard of putting it in a well-sealed cooler with jars of near-boiling water, but that’s a big production too.

I have a “Keep Warm” burner on my ceramic cooktop, but even on its lowest setting, it’s too hot (for good reason, of course – a “Keep Warm” burner that ENCOURAGED bacteria multiplication would kill people…) My first thought was to “insulate” it with a couple of potholders between the burner and the pan, but my girlfriend was very opposed to the idea of leaving a burner on overnight with potholders pressing down on it – I don’t see how potholders are going to catch fire at 140*, but the topic was not open for debate.

Yesterday I realized that AIR is a good insulator, too – so my current solution is to turn on the “Keep Warm” burner on Low, and put the pan (an enameled cast-iron Dutch oven, which I love for the way it holds and distributes heat) on a roasting rack, so it’s sitting ~3/4″ above the burner. This keeps things at a rock-steady 105* for as long as I want to incubate – yay!

It really does feel like alchemy, turning simple milk into something so complex and delicious – and I love the straining part, because how often do you get to use cheesecloth for anything like its original purpose?

Thanks again,
    bobg

• Mary Ann August 24, 2013 at 5:51 am #

BobG- Great idea with the warming zone on the stove. I’ve used a warming pad but have to keep an eye out because it has an auto shut off on it. Question: I do not have an enamel pot but I do have a crockpot dish. Would that work? I would preheat the dish before pouring the milk into it. What a great use for the warming zone!

31. Lisa January 25, 2012 at 11:32 am #

How long should the yogurt last in the refrigerator before going bad?

• Lindsay January 25, 2012 at 2:23 pm #

A good couple weeks. I have never had homemade yogurt go bad on us but we do eat it pretty quick.

32. Chiot's Run December 19, 2011 at 7:18 pm #

I’m always so happy to find other people who make their own yogurt consistently!!! Great tips, I think being gentle with the yogurt it key – and a long fermentation period. I always mix mine up at night and incubate it overnight. Also experiment with different kinds of yogurt for starter, some work better than others. Certain strains of bacteria contained in some yogurts keep the yogurt thicker and prevent whey separation (at least that’s has been my experience).

I you do happen to use raw milk (for that one reader) only heat to 100 then stir in starter. Also if you’re using raw milk you don’t need to buy a new starter every month, the starter doesn’t seem to die off, I’m thinking it’s b/c the milk is fresh. I’ve been using the same starter for a few years now without any problems.

• Shawn bard July 11, 2012 at 6:50 pm #

Thank you for this! That was my question…

• Joan September 26, 2012 at 6:43 pm #

Interesting, Cultures For Health says if making yogurt with raw milk the enzymes will weaken the culture, so it needs to be refreshed once in a while. Now I’m anxious to see what happens.

33. Krystle December 2, 2011 at 9:21 am #

I was wondering two things about this recipe. I’ve made it with organic milk a few times but recently read that some don’t like to heat the syrup above 110 degrees F to keep the nutritional value. Any thoughts there? And can this be copied with raw milk?

Thank You! We’ve been loving this recipe! I won’t try another!!

• Lindsay December 2, 2011 at 4:50 pm #

That is recommended for use with raw milk (if desired) but not when it comes to pasteurized organic milk. But you will find that only heating it to 110 will often be less successful as to getting the right thickness.

34. Karen October 15, 2011 at 3:42 pm #

Really appreciate this article! I keep coming back to it – when I try to “wing it” it goes runny again :D We started milking our cow a few months back and it’s great to have a reliable recipe for delicious yogurt! We make it 1.5 gallons at a time and put it in 1/2 gallon canning jars, anduse it in everything! Thanks again!

• hari July 20, 2012 at 2:33 am #

call me at 240 671 8358 and I will teach you to make yogurt over the phone.

35. Karen September 13, 2011 at 5:32 pm #

Is ok to leave the yogurt in the oven for incubation overnight? I just checked it and it appears to be to runny. Did I do something wrong?

36. Kalli August 28, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

I’ve been making my own greek yogurt from Organic milk for several months. Only recently did I realize that you should NOT use milk that is ultra-pasteurized. My understanding is that the high temperatures they pasteurize the milk at kill all bacteria, good and bad. So recently, I’ve started mixing half organic milk with half regular milk that is just pasteurized. I was getting inconsistent results before, but hopefully this solves it!

37. Julie August 26, 2011 at 6:33 pm #

Thank you so much for the tutorial! I’ve made several batches of yogurt following these directions (with a few changes) and have been very pleased with the results. I chose to leave out the sweetener and vanilla and just flavor it when serving it. Also, to incubate it, I put the jar of yogurt in my crockpot filled with warm water and cover it with the lid and a towel. I turn the crockpot on low for about 10 minutes (I set a kitchen timer to remind myself to turn it off!) to bring the water temp up to about 110-115*. Then I just check on it every couple hours (when I happen to be in the kitchen) with a thermometer and turn it back on low for 7 minutes to maintain the water temp. I can fit a quart canning jar in my “regular” 3 quart crockpot or 4 pint jars in my large oval crockpot. It’s so easy and I’m so excited that this option works so well!

38. Cheryl August 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

Trying this out right now! It’s incubating on my counter :) I’ve been wanting to try making yogurt for awhile now but the instructions are all so vague. I was really excited when I read yours and there were specific step by step instructions! Yay!!!! Greek Krema yogurt is my favourite because it’s not as tart as other plain yogurts and it’s soo thick. Looks like this should be just as good!

39. greek yogurt recipe August 18, 2011 at 12:30 pm #

Hello There. I found your weblog using msn. This is a very smartly written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful info. Thank you for the post. I?ll certainly comeback.