Whole Grain Soaked Tortillas

These are quite tasty! They may not look as pretty and perfect as store bought, but they are nice, soft, pliable, and nutritious and at a fraction of the cost! ;) For all the health benefits of soaking your grains, visit here.

3 cups whole wheat or kamut flour
1 cup warm filtered water
1 Tbsp acid medium (kefir, whey, buttermilk, yogurt, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice)
1/4 cup coconut oil or butter, melted
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Directions:

1. Combine flour, water, melted coconut oil or butter and 1 Tbsp of acid medium. Cover and allow to soak at room temperature for 12-24 hours.
  2. After soaking, add baking powder and salt to soaked flour mixture, kneading in the flour until the dough is workable but not too stiff.
  3. Shape into 8 – 10 balls and let stand 10 more minutes.
  4. Roll to form a 10 inch circle or use a tortilla press.
  5. Bake on a lightly greased griddle till done (not browned). Toast for about 20-30 sec. per side.

Yield: 8-10 tortillas.

Enjoy!

108 Responses to Whole Grain Soaked Tortillas

1. AmyP. February 10, 2013 at 6:58 pm #

Ack! I accidentally added the salt and b.powder before soaking. Have I ruined it?

2. Nikki December 9, 2012 at 6:04 am #

One tip to make them more circular (without a tortilla press) is to flatten them with a pie dish or the bottom of a large bowl, and then roll them out.

3. Andrea August 28, 2012 at 3:56 pm #

I am going to make these this week! Can you please tell me how you usually store these and how long they are good for?

4. Pooja July 13, 2012 at 7:21 am #

I am completely new to soaking grains. When I mixed my flour, water, butter, and lemon juice, it was still very dry, not even doughy, not anywhere close to “soaking.” Is that what it is supposed to be like?

• Lindsay July 13, 2012 at 7:22 am #

Add just enough more water until it is slightly moist. You do not want it to be very dry.

5. Karen June 1, 2012 at 10:52 am #

We make these again and again. They are by far my favorite recipe.

6. Rachel March 15, 2012 at 3:10 pm #

I’ve been making my own tortillas for about a year now and this is the best recipe I’ve tried yet – Thanks, Lindsay! I cook them on my cast iron comal (that’s like a frying pan with really low sides – almost a griddle) that I got on Amazon.com here: http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L9OG3-Pre-Seasoned-2-Inch-Griddle/dp/B00008GKDN/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331852853&sr=8-2 over medium low heat (preheat for about 5 minutes or so before cooking the tortillas). If anyone comes across a 10 inch cast iron tortilla press, I would love to know about it!

7. alicia January 3, 2012 at 8:28 pm #

Hi I was wondering where you can find a ten inch tortilla press? I have searched online only to find aluminum ones, the cast iron are smaller than 10 inches. What kind is yours? Also is your griddle non stick. I would like to find one that is not non stick. Thanks. :)

• Lindsay January 4, 2012 at 7:05 am #

I personally don’t have a tortilla press, it was just a suggestion. I use a non-stick griddle currently as I can’t afford a cast iron alternative at this time, but eventually when my current one has seen better days.

• alicia January 4, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

Ok. Thanks so much!

• Mirelle October 10, 2012 at 8:56 pm #

I’ve been using a cast iron tortilla press for years, but you can’t use it for wheat tortillas. The wheat tortilla dough must be rolled out. I use a regular rolling pin and it goes pretty quick. However, tortilla presses are amazing with corn tortillas!

• Kristine October 11, 2012 at 9:28 am #

I use a stainless steel tortilla press ad it works perfect! Love these! yum!

8. Candice January 3, 2012 at 3:48 pm #

I made these tonight and they were amazing. I used hard white wheat and kefir as my acid medium. The only thing I did differently was to use all-purpose flour (maybe 2 T.) for kneading. I let them sit for 15-20 minutes because I had other things going on. I pressed them in my tortilla press and then transferred them to my griddle to finish. The texture and ability to stay together (instead of crumbling and getting hard) was great. I will definitely be making these again.

9. Debra Worth @ Sweet Kisses and Dirty Dishes September 28, 2011 at 6:47 am #

What do you mean by “toast 20-30 seconds per side” after you cook them?

10. Rachel September 27, 2011 at 8:31 am #

As far as turning out crumbly, I bet it is making them with commercial whole wheat flour. When I first leaned the soaking method, all the recipes I found were from people who ground their own grain and I used Bob’s Red Mill Hard Red Wheat. The mixture was very dense and impossible to stir. The end product was pretty dense and close to crumbly. One year later, I have the grain mill and find the opposite problem. When I use freshly ground grain for mainstream recipes, it is very moist and almost liquidy. I find that I have to add more flour. Trying this recipe with freshly ground grain, the texture is perfect. All that to say that perhaps if you use commercial grain, when following a recipe that was tested with freshly ground flour, add less flour.

Would that be accurate Lindsay?

• Lindsay September 27, 2011 at 8:16 pm #

Yes, I have found that to be true as well.

11. Homemade Aspirations Girl September 23, 2011 at 6:36 am #

I enhanced this recipe by using some vegetable fibers leftover after juicing. If you are interested, here’s the posting: http://homemadeaspirations.blogspot.com/2011/09/homemade-vegetable-tortillas.html

12. Chel September 16, 2011 at 5:42 am #

Think I could just soak them for 7 hours so we could eat them tonight?

• Lindsay September 16, 2011 at 9:25 am #

Yes…any amount of soaking is preferred then skipping it altogether.

13. Kristine September 2, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

WOW! I tried these and they are the best tortillas I have ever had. I used yogurt to soak them and coconut butter like the recipe called for. I don’t know if I can go back to my store bought brand… okay, I will if I am in a pinch but I LOVE these SO much. Thanks for the recipe! My hubby gave me “first prize” for dinner tonight.

14. Kate March 28, 2011 at 8:10 am #

Have you tried making these with cornmeal? Do you think it would work equally well?

15. Ashley March 25, 2011 at 9:24 am #

Hey Lindsay,

Have you tried freezing these? Thanks!

• Lindsay March 25, 2011 at 1:09 pm #

Yes. It works okay. Not ideal as they usually become more brittle but definitely doable.

16. Esther N March 24, 2011 at 1:14 pm #

I love these tortillas! I soak them and use white whole wheat flour in them. Thanx so much for the recipe! These were the first homemade tortillas I tried.

17. tara March 23, 2011 at 5:56 pm #

I made these today, I halfed the recipe and dint bother soaking. i also omitted the apple cider and also the baking soda, I just used the 4 basic ingrediants (kamut, salt warm water and butter) and they turned out really good. Kamut is really easy to work w/, its just like working w/ whole wheat. Thanks for the recipe

18. Ashley March 17, 2011 at 12:32 pm #

Thanks for this great recipe! We eat all gluten-free in our home – do you think these will come out using brown rice flour or maybe even millet? Thanks : )

• Lindsay March 17, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

I have not tried it personally, but have purchased brown rice tortillas at the store, so I am sure it can be done.

19. Annie March 16, 2011 at 5:44 am #

they totally did not come out. they would crack when I tried to roll them up, and then some of them just crumbled apart. I used to make flour tortillas (non-soaked) and they came out great! They an elasticity to them throughout the rolling process. What might I be doing wrong? thanks!

• Lindsay March 16, 2011 at 10:31 am #

You most likely cooked them too long over too high a temperature.

20. Rachel March 8, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

This is my first attempt at soaking tortillas. Is it normal for the dough to turn really dark on top after the soaking process? I worked it in as best as I could, but there are still dark streaks and the taste is a little bitter. Did I do something wrong? Thanks in advance!

• Lindsay March 8, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

Mine soaking batters normally do have a darker tint to them after soaking, but not really dark, as you describe. I believe it is only due to exposure to air, so it seems pretty natural. I don’t believe you did anything wrong.