Tuesday Recipes: Waffles/Pancakes

If you haven’t tried Sue Gregg’s waffle/pancake recipe, you need to asap! This is an awesome healthy and nutritious recipe that can be nicely catered to meet your needs (if you have allergies that is). We have this any Sunday when we have guests over and it is always a hit! I had another request for the recipe recently, so that is why I decided to post it today. These can be easily frozen (2 weeks max). I have written some alternative variations at the end. This recipe uses the benefits of soaking the grains to receive all the nutrient value, but you can also substitute the grain for flour (1 cup grain =approximately 1 1/2 cups flour). If we are having it on Sunday, I simply soak them on Saturday night, and throw the remaining ingredients together before they arrive. Easy company dinner and oh so much fun. My husband loves this recipe as pancakes on Saturday mornings. We top with peanut butter and maple syrup. They are very flavorful! Enjoy!

Blender Waffles/Pancakes

Amount: 2 (2 1/2-3 waffles) or 4 (4-5 waffles) or 20-24 pancakes

1. Place in blender; blend at highest speed for 3 minutes.
(3/4) 1 1/2 – 1 3/4 cups buttermilk or kefir (or non-dairy alternative)
(1) 2 Tbls olive oil
(1/2) 1 tsp vanilla extract

(2/3) 1 1/2 cups brown rice or uncooked rolled oats
(or other grain variations, see below) 2/3 cup grain = 1 cup flour or 1 1/2 cups grain =2 cups flour

The batter should always swirl about a vortex in the blender. If it doesn’t, slowly add more liquid until the hole reappears. This is the secret to light and tender waffles. Batter for pancakes may be thicker, but keep batter relatively thin and keep it churning.

2. Cover blender; let stand at room temperature overnight or 12-24 hours.

3. Preheat waffle iron at highest temperature, or griddle on medium high.

4. Just before baking, add and reblend on highest speed for 1 minute:
1 egg, optional additional liquid (if batter needs thinning for vortex or churning)

5. Blend in thoroughly, but briefly (assisted with rubber spatula, if needed):
(1) 2 tsp baking powder
(1/4) 1/2 tsp. baking soda

(1/2) 1 tsp salt, to taste
6. Pour batter onto hot waffle iron, sprayed with olive oil. Bake about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes in waffle iron until crispy.

GRAIN VARIATIONS

brown rice or millet – equal parts of each grain
kamut, spelt, wheat - kamut is a favorite! Combining with kamut and oats is our favorite!
buckwheat – reduce to 1 cup (4 servings). It expands.
barley -hulled, not pearled. Reduce to 1 cup (for 4 servings). It expands
Quinoa - Thoroughly rinse quinoa in strainer the night before 1-2 minutes; let stand in bowl of water overnight; drain and rinse about 1 more minute. This removes bitter flavor. Batter will be very thin. Fill waffle iron almost completely to the edges.
Oats - uncooked rolled oats or oat groats
I use oats in combination with other grains. I use 1/2 cup (in recipe for 4) oats, and 1 cup kamut, or half and half in serving 2.
Other additions - throw in some flax seeds!

145 Responses to Tuesday Recipes: Waffles/Pancakes

1. Brittany August 11, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

Do you use your blend tec to blend these pancakes? If so, what setting do you blend them on? I blended my batter on speed 10 and my blender started getting hot and heated my batter really hot

• Lindsay August 11, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

I use the batter setting.

2. patti May 11, 2012 at 5:15 am #

Lindsay, any idea if a food processor will work? I used to make these all the time, but my blender just died. Can’t find any reference to using a food processor on any of my standard go-to websites…

3. Brittney March 24, 2012 at 6:40 am #

Just made these using 1 cup brown rice and 1/2 cup oatmeal (and plain kefir). AMAZING! Your directions were so easy to follow, and they turned out perfectly! Such a blessing to have something taste so delicious and be so good for you!! Thanks for sharing!

4. Lisa March 19, 2012 at 6:42 am #

Yum! Just finished our last bites! After making these this morning, I read through the comments to glean any knowledge I could in how others made them, such as which grains others used successfully. The one thing I noticed in the posts that I don’t think anyone realized (because it was never answered) were questions about the ingredients and whether the grains needed to be ground before soaking. Yes, they do. The Kamut or wheat kernels will not grind up in the blender in the morning if you soak them whole. They should be ground first then soaked overnight. The brown rice can be ground too then soaked. The result will be much more palatable and your pancakes successful!

5. Hollie March 6, 2012 at 5:15 am #

Thank you for sharing this!! We made them using spelt flour and almond milk and they were so delicious! A keeper recipe for sure :)

6. Jessica S February 20, 2012 at 7:38 am #

I just wanted to tell you how much we are enjoying this simple recipe! :) I’ve had great success with the kamut and oats combo for both pancakes and waffles.

For the soaking, I get the best results with buttermilk. Also, I turn my oven on to warm at 145F, once warm I turn it off and turn the oven light on. Then I put the blender with the lid on in the warm oven overnight.

Thanks for this simple & delicious soaked recipe!

7. Kellie February 8, 2012 at 9:40 pm #

I just found your blog, so I haven’t had time to read much yet, but it looks very interesting and helpful. I am very curious about the use of the grains in the pancake/waffle batter. We do not live in the U.S., so many of the grains you mentioned are not available to us. However, some other grains are, so I was wondering if you know anything about using bulgur? That is readily available everywhere here and I was wondering if you know if anyone has tried that in this recipe?

8. Shawna January 29, 2012 at 9:11 am #

Yum! Made these this morning for everyone and they were a hit! Even with our picky one year old! They were sweet and healthy! I used just oats, but next time I will definitely try one of the combos you recommend. Our new pancake recipe for sure! Thanks!!!

9. Stephanie December 12, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

Good grief these are the BEST PANCAKES I HAVE EVER HAD!!! So glad I found this nutritious recipe. I used kamut and oaks as Lindsey recommended however, I ended up with 12 pancakes instead of 20-24. But WOW- so good!

10. Karen October 24, 2011 at 7:42 am #

I made your pancakes with brown rice/oat groats/millet, whole milk yogurt, vanilla, coconut oil, egg, salt, b. soda and b. powder. Everything was great except the pancakes had a flavor as if they had gone bad. Can you help me? Thanks!

• Lindsay October 24, 2011 at 7:26 pm #

How long did you soak? Did you only soak grains, yogurt, oil and vanilla?

• Karen October 26, 2011 at 4:13 am #

I soaked for about 12 hours (overnight). Yes – only grains, yogurt, oil and vanilla. Everything was fresh, no out-of-date, bad quality stuff. My son tried making the pancakes yesterday. I didn’t watch him – just told him how to do it. They were less bad tasting, but more gummy. I want to try them myself again and see what happens.

• Sierra January 17, 2012 at 7:50 pm #

I’ve soaked some things before with the oil added and they almost always have that rancid kind of taste. I NEVER soak with oil anymore, just have to work it another way! That might be your problem?

11. debbie October 7, 2011 at 11:21 am #

when I blended the mixture of buckwheat and coconut yogurt in my vitamix, the mixture got quite warm how warm can it get and sit out all night and be safe to eat?

12. Anita August 30, 2011 at 1:29 pm #

Can sourdough starter be used instead of buttermilk, etc.? Will the blending hurt it and keep it from working?

13. Joleanna August 20, 2011 at 5:35 am #

okay, silly question, but are you using cooked rice/millet? or are you grinding these uncooked in a flour? just a little confused. thanks!

• Lindsay August 21, 2011 at 6:11 am #

You want to use raw uncooked rice and millet. You grind it in the blender to make the pancake batter.

14. Melanie June 24, 2011 at 8:40 am #

I just tried this this morning and followed the directions. What I did though, was millet and rolled oats. I also didn’t have any buttermilk on hand, so I used a buttermilk powder that I had and just added water to it and let that be my buttermilk. Anyway, I don’t know why, but the pancakes had a kind of “spicy” flavor to it. I didn’t know if it was supposed to do that or not. When I smelled the soaked mixture this morning before I added the other stuff, it smelled good, I thought, but had a kind of sour smell too, almost like a yeasty smell. Is that normal??

15. Barbara April 16, 2011 at 8:22 am #

I just made the waffles …..Yum! light and fluffy! I used the spelt and oatmeal but I ran a little short so I threw in a little barley. I just started using whole grain and I am still experimenting and I am glad for this success. I do not have a food processor but I recently got a Ninja, I didn’t know how it would work because you cannot see the Vortex. I thought, Oh well may as well try it, and it worked! The liquid called for in the recipe was perfect for “driving blind” so to speak. I couldn’t have asked for a better first trial. Thank you so much for your blog! May God continue to bless you and your family.

16. Jennie April 2, 2011 at 6:53 am #

I just wanted to put in the variations that I made to this recipe and the results were outstanding. A new staple.

1/2 cup brown rice
    1/2 cup millet
    1/2 cup rolled oats

Acid medium was vanilla yogurt (what I had on had) -about 2 cups almost
    Used coconut oil rather than olive oil, omitted the extra vanilla and added a dash of cardamom for the soak

In the morning just before cooking I added 2 small farm fresh eggs, a little raw milk and about 1-2tbls melted butter for consistency along with the leavening ingredients. Only I used half the amount of salt. The results were outstanding. Perfect. Tasted a little bit like blueberry pancakes for some reason and everybody tore them up! Even my picky eaters. Thanks Lindsay! Just thought I would share what worked for us because I have tried it before and couldn’t get it just right. I also do have a blendtec now and I think that helped with getting the grains ground really well.

• Jennie April 4, 2011 at 12:07 pm #

Correction-it was Kalmut that I used and not the millet.

17. Lori April 1, 2011 at 10:22 am #

hi! what are all the numbers in parentheses? is that to make less batter?

• Lindsay April 4, 2011 at 12:18 pm #

Yes, that is for half the recipe.

18. Misty March 31, 2011 at 10:49 am #

No matter what I do, this recipe stays gummy. As I cook these as pancakes, no matter how long I cook them they stay gummy. Any ideas on how to get these to cook without being gummy. I’ve tried them with wheat and sweet brown rice. Thanks.

19. Julie March 11, 2011 at 3:36 pm #

I just blended up my first batch of the soaked pancakes. I used fresh Prairie Gold and Kamut. I used a spoon to check out the batter and there are still little hard pieces of grain (I have an old blender). Will the grains soften overnight and blend up completely in the morning or should I use my grinder to first make flour?

• Lindsay March 14, 2011 at 7:13 am #

Yes, it will soften during the soaking process. You can try blending it multiple times before soaking as well to make sure all the grains are breaking down somewhat.

20. Kirsten January 18, 2011 at 5:54 am #

If using quinoa, do you soak it in water overnight and then soak it in the buttermilk with the other grain (if any?), or is the initial soaking in water the only soaking step? Hope this makes sense…

Thank you so much!

• Lindsay January 20, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

NO, quinoa requires an additional soaking to remove the bitter coating. So it would require an advance pre-soaking, prior to soaking with the liquids.

21. Erin December 15, 2010 at 12:42 pm #

Hi Lindsay!

Do you think I can substitute coconut oil for the olive oil?
    Also, just curious if you choose to add the egg or not.

• Lindsay December 15, 2010 at 2:26 pm #

Oh yes, I only use coconut oil now! I always add the egg and often add an extra one to get a nice thinner pancake and extra protein and nutrition at the same time.

22. Kelly December 10, 2010 at 1:54 pm #

Hi! I just started following your blog! Can you seriously leave something with buttermilk in it overnight without refrigerating it??? Or with yogurt (i.e. your soaked oats for oatmeal recipe)???

• Lindsay December 13, 2010 at 8:06 am #

Yes. As long as it is cultured…our ancestors have been culturing and fermenting in this manner for ages.

• Kelly December 15, 2010 at 8:57 pm #

Wow. I was literally moved to tears that I got an answer to my question. I honestly didn’t expect one! It means so much that I have somplace to learn and that I might ACTUALLY be able to start implementing new, healthy things into our diets. Thank you for your blog, and thank you for your commitment to the readers. God is definitely working through you!

23. Rachel November 7, 2010 at 7:26 pm #

I tried making these with brown rice and they would not cook. Am I supposed to cook the rice? That is what I did and it was a mess. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this with the oats though! I really want to make it work with the brown rice!

• Lindsay November 8, 2010 at 6:00 am #

Brown rice will make them thinner, so make sure you use kefir or less liquids. The best luck here is to mix brown rice and millet. I have had great results with that combo. Just keep the batter thicker.

• Rachel November 8, 2010 at 7:54 pm #

Thank you!!! Do I cook the rice?

• Kasonya December 8, 2010 at 5:00 pm #

Do not cook the rice. Just soak the rice straight from the pkg.

24. Lisa Young October 26, 2010 at 12:12 pm #

Is the brown rice cooked? thanks, Lisa

25. Heather September 26, 2010 at 1:03 pm #

What am I doing wrong? My waffles end up stuck to my waffle iron. it is non-stick…but I spray with oil cuz it is old. The waffles are just stuck to the two sides.

• Lindsay September 26, 2010 at 2:48 pm #

It’s probably more of an issue with your waffle iron. I would suggest cooking them a tab bit longer and see if that helps. It has always worked great for me.

• Mansi February 24, 2012 at 3:17 am #

Hi,
        My problem is when I leave the flour mixed with buttermilk outside for overnight, next day it gets fermented and sour… the pancakes taste sour too…

Please advice.

• Hannah October 22, 2012 at 8:11 pm #

Just wanted to say I love this blog, just found it and can’t wait to try more recipes. Can I use whey to soak the grains in? I just made yogurt and I don’t know what to do with it!

Thanks:)

• Lindsay October 22, 2012 at 8:17 pm #

Yes! Whey is definitely an appropriate alternative for soaking.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. tuesday | The Art of a Challenge - February 21, 2012

[...] problems with them sometimes (brain fog and some tiredness). So all in all, a good day! I also made brown rice waffles for breakfast, but I didn’t get a picture of them. Maybe tomorrow, since there were [...]

2. My Winter Monthly Menu Plan 2011-2012 | Passionate Homemaking - October 12, 2011

[...] Friday – Eggs (Breakfast burritos) or Fruit salad, yogurt & granola Saturday – Soaked Pancakes Sunday – Granola or cold cereal (a quick breakfast before church), hard boiled [...]

3. My Winter Monthly Menu Plan 2011-2012 | Passionate Homemaking - October 12, 2011

4. Soaked Sweet Potato Waffles : Maria Makes Muffins * Minneapolis Clean Eating + Living * - September 29, 2011

[...] Sweet Potato Waffles Adapted from Passionate Homemaking This waffle recipe is a breeze to whip up the night before in your blender. In the morning simply [...]

5. Kefir, soaking grains and how I’m in over my head. « A Momma on a Mission - July 12, 2011

[...] back to town so we can make a Sam’s Club run!) But we needed a break so I decided to give brown rice soaked waffles a try.  I was very nervous about these, but put on a brave face for the fam.   Since they had a [...]

6. Simple Healthy Summer Meals | Passionate Homemaking - June 7, 2011

[...] Stuffed Deviled Eggs, Omelets, or even a “breakfast for dinner” of scrambled eggs & soaked waffles are simple, nourishing meals that won’t heat up the [...]

7. Gluten Free/Dairy Free Blender Waffles or Pancakes | Passionate Homemaking - March 29, 2011

[...] This recipe is made with the simple use of your blender. No grain grinder is necessary. You can soak the batter overnight for increased benefits (as brown rice has a small amount of phytates, learn the benefits of soaking here), or simply skip that and proceed with the recipe. Soaking also helps to break down the grain so it is softer, otherwise it will add a bit more crunch to your waffles, which is yummy too. I often prepare this recipe for last minute pancakes if I forget to soak my standard whole grain blender recipe. [...]

8. Jen Oh Says » Blog Archive » The most important meal of the day: Breakfast - August 25, 2010

[...] may seem hard, but try blender pancakes/waffles. You put the ingredients in your blender at night, allow it to soak, re-blend in the morning and [...]

9. Simple and Healthy Addition « Simply Intentional Living - August 23, 2010

[...] I sent them off to spend the weekend away I made our traditional Saturday breakfast of waffles and chocolate milk. This time, I decided to be “sneaky” and add some extra nutrition [...]

10. The Benhase Home - June 9, 2010

[...] I came across this recipe for soaked whole grain waffles (or pancakes) that are whipped up in the blender. The beauty of this recipe is that you can swap out [...]

11. Gluten-Free & Delicious: Oatmeal Blender Pancakes | Inspired Homemaking - April 14, 2010

12. Saturday = Pancake day « Mama Journey - May 9, 2009

[...] I’ve found my favorite pancake recipe is from a Sue Gregg cookbook.  You can find it at Passionate Homemaking.  I double the recipe for my family and use oats for the grain.  They are light and fluffy.  We [...]

13. Breakfast at the Shaver Cottage « Kiki’s Kitchen - November 20, 2008

[...] These are called “Blender batter pancakes”, and they couldn’t be easier to make (if you have whole grains on hand).  I like to mix oats and SWEET brown rice for mine.  I make a double batch because we love these!  Here is a post that has the recipe in it:  http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2007/12/tuesday-recipes-wafflespancakes.html  [...]

14. Passionate Homemaking » Blog Archive » Winter Monthly Menu Plan - February 11, 2008

[...] muffin or bread Thursday – Oatmeal, apples, cranberries Friday – French Toast, fruit Saturday – Pancakes, Crepes, Dutch babies Sunday – Smoothie, biscuit, bread or [...]