Start Your Day by Getting Dressed

Over the past two days my productivity levels have been miniscule. In fact, it has been nearly 11 o’clock before I even got dressed for the day. The messes around my home have seemed to be unending and the neediness of my children only escalating throughout the day. We didn’t have time for any schooling let alone breather time until naps because I was just in cleanup mode.

I woke up this morning and felt the Lord giving me a gentle prompt: Why don’t you start your day by simply getting dressed? Dress yourself first and foremost with the gospel and then put on your physical clothing for the day.

As Ephesians 6:10-18 reminds us of the importance of putting on the truth, “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.” The enemy certainly likes to take advantage of my spirit and enjoys overwhelming me with thoughts of failure and discouragement when I have not first equipped my soul with a reminder of the beauty of God’s grace. My Lord loves me despite my failures…He bore them all. He gives the grace for me to embrace the work He has assigned me.

Seems like two basic concepts. I’m sure you have heard them before (I recall flylady encourages this!), but the depth of the impact wasn’t so amazing contrasting to me till today. I just needed that gentle reminder and encouragement from the Spirit. I woke up, spent a few moments in the Word so I could saturate my heart in the gospel before beginning my day (I’m currently reading one chapter in the Old Testament, followed by 1-2 verses in the NT to meditate on), acknowledge my dependence upon the Lord, and then I got dressed from head to toe. This was 30 minutes before my little ones began waking up. But simply getting myself ready for the day increased my productivity immensely. I felt refreshed and ready to go. My soul was happy in the Lord. On the other hand, waking to my children is challenging. I feel like I have to jump into the roller coaster ride without first preparing myself. If I dress myself, my children get a much more joyful momma.

Now I’ll be honest and say that my hair wasn’t tidied up till later in the day, but I was dressed…and somehow just getting dressed was a huge help! (Laying out my clothes the night before would be another helpful step!) There were certainly still challenges throughout the day, messes of yucky attitudes to deal with and hearts to reunite in love for one another, but I was much more peaceful and self-controlled, thanks to God’s amazing grace. We were able to get so many things accomplished today. Praise the Lord!

This is goal #1 for this year!

What’s one thing that you like to do that helps start your day out right?

Please note: Ultimately, I want to assure you there is complete grace for whatever season you might be in. Rising early is not a requirement for your Christian faith. This has just been a means of grace for me personally. Practicing this habit of getting dressed before starting your day doesn’t require it to be done before the kids get up, even if you can just get dressed before going downstairs or attending to the kids, you will find it very beneficial!

{Photo Credit}

Originally published on January 6, 2012.

Lindsay Edmonds is first a lover of Jesus, wife, mother of four, homemaker, and writer. She loves inspiring women around the world toward simple, natural, and intentional living for the glory of God.

100 Responses to Start Your Day by Getting Dressed

1. Allegra January 10, 2013 at 5:30 pm #

Thanks Lindsay. Ever since I had my baby I have been struggling in this area. But a lot of books (and friends) talk about how important it is to get dressed. When I finally started making it a priority I was shocked at how much of a difference it makes!! I’m getting better but I still have my days when I wake to the sound of my daughters crying and at dinner time I’m still in my pjs.

2. Cori January 10, 2013 at 11:59 am #

I can’t get out of bed without the kids waking up instantly. They second my feet hit the floor they both are awake. So instead of getting up before them, I spend a few moments in bed setting my intentions before the Lord to serve Him. Then when kiddos wake up, we all get dressed together before going downstairs for breakfast. Not ideal for some, but works for me during this season of life with a babies and a preschooler.

• Allegra January 10, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

My daughter used to be the same way!! Whether I got up at 6 or 8 she would wake up!! Happy she doesn’t do that anymore b/c my day is always better when I get up before her.

• Amanda January 11, 2013 at 11:05 am #

Yeah, I’ve noticed that happening to me quite a bit too. I try to be really quiet and stay in my room…so far it’s been working pretty well.

3. Tracy January 9, 2013 at 8:52 pm #

O.mi.gosh! Praise God and thank you for your obedience! I needed this gentle reminder so much right now! Thanks, sista! :)

4. Amanda January 9, 2013 at 6:28 pm #

Starting the day off in God’s word…by his grace I’ve been able to wake up earlier than my baby, but on days it doesnt happen, I still try to avoid most social media like facebook, and email, and blogging, until I’ve been filled up with Him. I figure I wont have much to offer unless I’ve received from him first. After the quiet time, I get dressed :) , and do my 5-minute face with some quick makeup. :) . Loved the post…been thinking a lot about this lately.
    Amanda

5. Angela January 9, 2013 at 5:25 pm #

Great reminder, thanks!

6. Hannah January 9, 2013 at 11:01 am #

Amen to this! The day starts out so stressful when I wake up to my crying daughter and have to cook breakfast, tend to my husband, my daughter, and myself then clean up messes – all before 8am!
    My number one goal of 2013 is to get up at least 30 minutes before my little 14 month old daughter, spend some time with my bible, my cup of coffee, and at least get out of my pjs ;)

7. Valerie January 9, 2013 at 5:14 am #

Wake up and be thankful that another day has arrived!

8. Diane January 9, 2013 at 4:12 am #

I have found something that “forces” me to get dressed first thing in the morning…wearing a skimpy nightie to bed! I used to wear a t-shirt and lounge pants to bed and I would stay in them half the day! Not anymore!

• [email protected] January 10, 2013 at 9:15 pm #

It works if you sleep in the buff too ;)

9. Ashley October 25, 2012 at 5:39 am #

What do yo recommend a new mom wear considering all the spit up and the fact that I’ll be cleaning throughout the day? I don’t want to be a bum, but can’t really wear ” nice” clothes either….

• Erin January 10, 2013 at 7:40 pm #

Hi Ashley!
      I am a mom of four and have an infant as well. Get yourself some cute yoga pants and some cute t-shirts (long or short sleeved)! That is like my daily mom uniform! Fleece in the winter. I guess “acitve-wear” would be the right category. Comfortable, something you can run-out in if you need you. I have just found that yoga pants are cuter and more flattering than sweatpants, but just as comfortable. :)

10. Elaine January 20, 2012 at 6:32 pm #

Just ‘found’ your blog today through my niece…your articles are so encouraging! Thank you.

11. Ashley Pichea January 17, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

I make it a point not to leave my bedroom without having gotten dressed that day. Nothing fancy or “fashionable,” but starting my day by intentionally getting dressed helps me to be more intentional throughout the rest of my day. I use my blog as a means of accountability in this endeavor, as well, sharing a weekly recap each Wednesday.

12. Deborah January 12, 2012 at 1:59 pm #

I get up extra early for a few cups of coffee and quiet time. I never even turn on the tv. My coffee maker with timer is a huge blessing. Having a cup of coffee waiting for me is a gift.

• Lindsay January 13, 2012 at 7:33 am #

Sometimes I just wish I liked coffee!!

• Hannah January 9, 2013 at 7:47 pm #

Same here! Green smoothies are my cup of coffee:)

• Allegra January 10, 2013 at 5:27 pm #

Same here!! I force myself to drink coffee sometimes because I love the smell!! But I don’t really like the taste and it gives me tummy trouble sometimes :( I should just let it go… It’s obviously not meant to be! Haha

13. Amy Walker January 11, 2012 at 5:50 pm #

Needed this! Thank you. I’ve been trying to follow flylady routines as much as possible and finding it very helpful, but I skipped this one. I have a 3 mo. old right now and mornings haven’t exactly existed since we’re not on a normal routine yet. Today though I was was telling my husband that in spite of this there must be SOME way for me to get a better start to our day, even if I can’t get up before him. Maybe I’ll try this!

14. Mona @ Healthy Homesteading January 11, 2012 at 7:17 am #

When I was following FlyLady, she said start each day by getting dressed and putting on slim tennies. That was one of the best pieces of advice I received. I usually get dressed early and I always put on either slim tennies or mocassins. I like the mocassins better than the tennies because I am having to go outside a lot during the day. Since I live on a “farm” I have to make sure I am not tracking in animal poo ;) . I can slip in and out of my mocassins and muck boots. Wishing you much success with your new daily habit.

15. Amy S. January 10, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

Yep, I find my days go much better when I do this too. Pregnancy/new baby always throws me off too. A shower, clean clothes with even just flip flops, breakfast, & a cup of tea –I’m ready to go. But try to start the day without my little bit of order –it just never quite starts :)

16. Barbara January 9, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

We have all been there at one time or another. Dependance on the Lord is key. Thanks for sharing!

17. Lorie January 9, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

I totally understand this situation. I have found that when I wake up to my children the day tends to be hard for all of us because I tend to be grumpier. Their needs are, as you said, a roller coaster ride from the beginning. I have found things are better for us when I wake up and get to work out (away from home is better) and I am much more productive for the day.
    Thanks for the important reminder that I shouldn’t make it a habit to sleep in :o )

18. I am ashamed to say I have fallen off the wagon. I was doing really well about getting dressed to shoes each day (aka Flylady), but today I was cold so I wanted to stay in my p.j.’s. I feel exactly like you described. All I’m doing is caring for needy children and cleaning up. Things are just going around in circles. I’m off NOW to shower and get dressed so I can go get something done!

19. Faith McLaws January 9, 2012 at 8:43 am #

I have found that getting dressed first thing helps my day also. It’s interesting to me that If I pick out my outfit the night before, including jewelry and shoes, I have more time in the morning to focus on other things, and not just how I look for the day.

20. Bethany January 8, 2012 at 10:25 pm #

Thank you so much for sharing this – very encouraging! :)