Homemade All-Natural Deodorant

This is the top homemade recipe posts that I shared here on Passionate Homemaking in the very beginning that has been passed around the internet in incalculable ways, so I thought it was fit to re-share it with you all in our top 10 celebration! Did you get a chance to try it? Our family continues to use this recipe to this day.

Republished from March 21, 2008. Updated to include FAQ’s, photo, and video tutorial.

Did you know that nearly all commercial deodorants contain aluminum salts, usually aluminum chlorohydrate? Manufacturers like aluminum because it effectively suppresses perspiration but the metal has a dark side once it makes its way into our body. Aluminum toxicity It has been linked to cancer, Alzheimer’s Disease, and other health issues. It is especially important for women to take thought to the harmful aluminum materials in deodorant as it has been linked to breast cancer, being that the breast tissue extends up into the armpits.

Most commercial deodorants also contain parabens, which act as preservatives and stabilizers, but which like aluminum can be absorbed into the skin. Parabens mimic estrogen, and though the amounts we absorb on a daily basis might be small, over time, the accumulation can be significant.

Did you know you can make your own wonderful effective deodorant with just a few completely natural ingredients? This recipe is awesome! It’s even edible! It is frugal and very effective! Aaron & I have been using it for over two years now, and it has worked wonders. It smells wonderful, but very faint. For years I tried every natural alternative on the market without much success. It has been successfully tried by hundreds of readers! Coconut oil is an all natural oil that has wonderful anti-bacterial and immune boosting qualities. It can effectively nourish and moisturize the skin. This recipe is also very frugal, costing less than a dollar per batch.

Ingredients:

6-8 Tbsp Coconut oil (solid state)
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch (arrowroot is preferred)

Directions:

1. Combine equal portions of baking soda & arrowroot powder/cornstarch.
  2. Slowly add coconut oil and work it in with a spoon or hand blender until it maintains a firm but pliable texture. It should be about the same texture as commercial deodorant, solid but able to be applied easily. If it is too wet, add further arrowroot powder/cornstarch to thicken.
  3. You can either scoop this recipe into your old deodorant dispensers or place in a small container with lid and apply with fingers with each use. Makes about 1 cup. This recipe lasts about 3 months for two people with regular daily use.

For a picture tutorial placing this recipe in an old deodorant container, visit here.

UPDATE (5/17/12): Today I tried using a immersion hand blender to make the deodorant, and it worked surprisingly well. It took maybe 10 seconds to combine the ingredients without a mess or heating and melting the ingredients too much, which is the main concern when using a electric mixing alternative. If it becomes too liquidy, it is difficult to apply, so limit your mixing to no more than 5-10 seconds for best results. It firmed right up when I let it sit for a bit in the storage container. Great option to simplify the process!

Check out my video tutorial for a visual guide through this recipe. Excuse my nervousness….yes, this is the first time I have gotten behind the camera for this site!

httpvhd://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar0BF6hMuGE

Frequently Asked Questions

Since the original publication of this post, I have received numerous repeated questions. I have compiled them all here.

1. I am having issues with an itchy rash under my armpits. Any solutions?

Baking soda can be an irritant for some people. Sometimes this may be a detoxing method of the body to remove impurities in your skin from previous standard deodorants. If you wait it out a few weeks, it may disappear altogether, as it happened with me. If not, try decreasing the baking soda by 1 Tbsp and replacing with more cornstarch/arrowroot powder. Itchiness can also often be related to applying this too soon after shaving. Wait an hour or two after shaving to apply. Add 1/4 cup shea butter or cocoa butter to the recipe for its healing benefits is another alternative. You also can try using arrowroot powder as it is more natural on the skin or make sure to choose a talc-free cornstarch. The final option is to apply a thin layer of aloe vera gel/juice to your skin for its healing benefits before applying the deodorant. It will help cool, refresh, and prevent irritations to the skin.

2. Can you use any other oils for this recipe?

It is possible to use other oils on this recipe, such as sweet apricot oil, but we do not recommend other oils simply because they are not as effective as coconut oil with its anti-bacterial benefits. Apricot or olive oil also remain liquid in form, and thus make this messy to apply. Coconut oil remains solid under 76 degrees, so it is perfect for deodorant. You can use palm oil as it is another natural oil that is solid at room temperature, but again not as effective as coconut oil.

3. Will this deodorant stain my clothes?

Not likely or not any more than a standard deodorant or antiperspirant. I have only noticed slight staining on white garments, but this can be avoided by soaking with soap after wearing and before washing. Dishwashing soap and hot water are very effective stain removers.

4. What kind of coconut oil can I use? Is there a recommended brand?

It is recommended to use a high quality coconut oil purchased from a health food store, if possible. I recommend Mountain Rose Herbs coconut oil for its superior quality and benefits. Other recommended brands include Nutiva, Tropical Traditions, and Wilderness Family Naturals. You can also use refined coconut oil, as that version is suitable for the skin but not recommended for consumption. Refined coconut oil will be cheaper in price.

5. Can I add essential oils to this recipe?

Yes, feel free to add various essential oils for the added scent, but beware that essential oils can cause irritations. Start with making a small batch to make sure you do not react. Tea tree oil is an excellent oil to add for its pleasant scent (men and women alike enjoy it), and it has great antibacterial qualities.

6. Is there any solution for preventing this from melting? (Note: coconut oil melts at 76 degrees).

If you live in a particularly warm climate, add a little melted candelilla wax or beeswax to the mixture. Store in your fridge, if necessary. For summer travel, I recommend storing in a cooler. Remove from cooler or refrigerator 10 minutes before use to allow it to soften slightly for application.

7. What’s the benefit of using arrowroot powder over cornstarch?

You are free to use cornstarch or arrowroot powder as desired. Arrowroot is a more natural thickening agent alternative. I use arrowroot powder as an alternative to cornstarch in all my cooking. Arrowroot powder is available through your local health food store, Whole Foods, Azure Standard, or Bob’s Red Mill.

8. I am allergic to coconut oil, is there any alternatives?

I have heard people experiencing success by replacing coconut oil with equal quantities of shea butter and cocoa butter. You can also use palm oil because it remains solid like coconut oil. Add a few drops of tea tree essential oil for the antibacterial properties.

9. I am heavy sweater? Is this an antiperspirant?

No, this is not an antiperspirant, so you will sweat but it will definitely be decreased quantities. Sweating is a natural bodily process that is necessary for health in removing toxins from your body. I am definitely a heavy sweater myself, but this deodorant works to remove the smells like nothing else I have ever tried. I do recommend multiple applications if you are doing strenuous work or exercise for it to be effective.

Learn more about the benefits of coconut oil and all its wonderful uses here.

To read all the reviews on this recipe, check out the original post here.

Please note: Passionate Homemaking is an affiliate of Mountain Rose Herbs (my coconut oil source) and receives a small percentage of each sale purchased through my links. I only recommend products that I have successfully use and can highly recommend.

Lindsay Edmonds is first a lover of Jesus, wife, mother of four, homemaker, and writer. She loves inspiring women around the world toward simple, natural, and intentional living for the glory of God.

415 Responses to Homemade All-Natural Deodorant

1. Christine June 29, 2013 at 11:36 am #

You can always just moisten your fingers with coconut oil, smear a thin layer under your arm, then dab over top of that with some baking soda. No mixing, doesn’t matter what state the coconut oil is in (liquid, solid, doesn’t matter, i’m just rubbing oil into my skin with my fingers). WORKS AMAZING. I keep smelling myself throughout the day because I cannot believe it works so well!

• D Smith July 1, 2013 at 1:00 am #

Interesting…I had just ran out of my batch and was looking to change it up a bit when I saw your post so I thought I would give it a try. To make a long story short your version exceeded my expectations. I will definitely continue this inthe future.

• D Smith July 1, 2013 at 1:15 am #

I meant the coconut oil with baking soda dusted on after and not mixed version from Christine. I applied it the morning after my shower, then wound up outside all day in over 100 degree weather unexpectedly and was soaking in sweat before lunch time. And sweat the whole day through with not ever even worried or sensing any possible hint that I might need my backup deodorant. This alternative well exceeded my expectations. Thanks for sharing…

• D Smith August 5, 2013 at 4:11 pm #

Tried this and it does work great! Thanks Christine!

2. Kehinde June 28, 2013 at 7:34 am #

Hello. I made this recipe two days ago and it really works. However, I noticed that my underarms started turning scaly and darker (I am African American). I thought that homemade deodorant was breathable? I do scratch under my arms (because I sweat a lot). Is there any solutions to heal this condition? What am I doing wrong?

• chelle June 28, 2013 at 10:57 am #

this happened to me, only i got pink bc im pale-pale :D

ive heard from some one that they simply wash their pits at bedtime and that eliminates it. also, some people back-off the amount of baking soda they use and that helps.

i just remade a natural deodorant using the above-ish recipe (i used 8 TBS of coconut oil and 1/4 c aloe butter also). im hoping that the extra aloe butter and washing my pits will make it so that i dont get all scaly and peely. ive done it for two days thus far with no problems.

HTH

• chelle July 6, 2013 at 8:38 pm #

so ive been using this pretty regularly for a week+ and i think if i were using it *everyday*, and not rinsing my pits before bed, i would have the same scaly-peelyness i had the previous time i tried to make a baking soda deodorant. i mean, baking soda acts as an exfoliant on skin, so this isnt a huge surprise i guess.

im also learning that im kinda sensitively skinned.

i do alternate with just plain coconut oil…some days i dont leave the house, so i dont see the point in ‘wasting’ real deodorant on my pits :D still not stinky so, i guess it all agrees with me for the most part.

this stuff really does work and the lime smells lovely too.

3. Lorraine June 27, 2013 at 2:48 pm #

Oddly enough, any deodorant that has baking soda in it turns my clothing yellow. I have no idea why, but every single natural deodorant with baking soda turns my whites yellow. The color comes out, but I guess it’s just a chemistry thing. It definitely works, though, so I use it only when wearing dark colors.

4. Tam June 26, 2013 at 2:43 pm #

are you high or on drugs? you sure act like it man.. yeah man..

5. Christy June 26, 2013 at 11:53 am #

I made a large batch some time ago and am about to make more. My husband also uses it, and it’s safe for the kids, who sometimes want to use deodorant like us. Our oldest is at the age where he is just starting into puberty, so it’s perfect for him. I use essential oils as desired to scent it, and made him a woodsy blend with evergreens and cedar oils. I have tried many health food store deodorants, but they didn’t work for me. This stuff works!!! I apply after showering, and I still don’t stink the next day! Thanks so much for the fantastic, super easy recipe!

6. Katherine June 24, 2013 at 12:33 pm #

I made a batch of this a few weeks ago and it works better than any anti antiperspirant or deodorant that I can buy at a store. It applies nicely and I don’t have to use much. It smells really nice and works all day.

7. Eunice June 16, 2013 at 2:50 am #

Hi! I prepared mine with liquid coconut oil, baking soda, baby powder and vit. E… Was there something wrong about this? I did not sweat much but I did stink!:(

• Jessica June 16, 2013 at 5:36 am #

Unless your baby powder was pure cornstarch (most aren’t), the other ingredients in the powder counter-acted the other ingredients in your deodorant.

Sweating is actually a good thing, but that’s another thread ;)

I suggest using pure cornstarch (cheaper than baby powder anyway – AND just as good for a real baby) or the arrow-root that others have suggested.

Also be sure you have enough baking soda – some people need a bit more in the ratio due to natural aroma.

I personally don’t use the coconut oil (I’ve tried and didn’t care for the results because I do want to sweat); I found when I first switched to (at the time) just baking soda, I sweat a LOT for the first couple of weeks (and stunk on the one side where I have a breast lump) and was re-applying 2 or 3 times a day. After that the sweating reduced SIGNIFICANTLY, the smell faded; and by the time I switched to baking soda and cornstarch, I was never reapplying unless I was running a lot on a given day (but I’ve had to reapply commercial deodorant in those situations as well) – and no more smell.

Thus, some of the smell might be your body releasing built-up toxins too.

8. Katherine June 14, 2013 at 6:07 pm #

I made a small batch of this tonight with a few drops of tangerine oil. It smells like candy. I will update in the next few days as I put it to the test to see if it can keep my pits smelling like candy. I haven’t found a non chemical deodorant that keeps my armpits smelling nice.

Glycerin irritates my skin – this recipe makes me very happy because most health food store deodorants have glycerin.

9. jENNY June 14, 2013 at 6:17 am #

I made this recipe and it worked great. I sweat a little (in the Florida heat) but the smell is completely gone. I don’t smell at all and that is what I really wanted to fix anyway. My problem is now that I’m three weeks in, I’m getting a bumpy red rash and my pits feel a little raw. I want to make it again… and I thought it was the corn starch that was the problem… now I’m reading that it could be the baking soda. Wondering which one I should leave out, because I really don’t want to give up on this deodorant! Ideas??

• Kamilla June 14, 2013 at 6:45 am #

It is important not to use the normal baking soda which contains aluminum (sold in grocery stores), you should read the container and check. I bought mine at the pharmacy where they have pure baking soda (Sodium hydrogen carbonate). Might help, and it’s healthier

• Maggie June 14, 2013 at 7:00 am #

Kamilla- Nope. Urban legend there. NO baking soda contains ANY aluminum. Check it out! http://www.crunchybetty.com/the-great-baking-soda-anti-hoax

• Jessica June 14, 2013 at 8:29 pm #

Agreed with Maggie – BAKING SODA is the common name for “sodium hydrogen carbonate” – and thereby contains ZERO aluminum.

The culprit that most people are thinking of is baking POWDER which is a composite of baking soda and cream of tartar (when made at home); but does contain aluminum when purchased from most stores (anti-caking purposes).

Baking SODA is NOT equal to baking POWDER.

;)

(this topic comes up on EVERY natural deodorant topic I’ve seen).

• Maggie June 14, 2013 at 7:02 am #

I had the same issue…..what I found was that scrubbing my pits with a washcloth at night before I went to bed basically made the issue stop. Worth a try to see if it helps, if nothing else!

10. Alexandra Witteveen June 13, 2013 at 5:36 am #

Hi Could I use tapioca starch instead of the arrowroot? thanks

11. Brittany June 10, 2013 at 10:00 am #

Initially, this formula worked great for me. However, after a while I started getting large itchy, burning rashes whenever I put it on. I have very sensitive skin so I believe my body was irritated by the baking soda. It would go away after a few days of putting aloe vera on it but every time I tried the deodorant again (making a new batch) it would reappear. I couldn’t use it anymore. I came across others who have had the similar experience.

I was determined to find a homemade recipe that worked for me and I believe I found it. Omitting the baking soda completely, using coconut oil, arrrowroot powder, and adding a few drops of vitamin E oil to the recipe has been working on my skin thus far. I put in a few drops of clove oil my first batch but I think I may try tea tree oil next.

12. Fatima June 8, 2013 at 5:56 pm #

Hi,
    Thanks for this great recipe! i will never be buying store bought deodorants again. I didnt want to take out my blender so I melted my coconut oil by placing the container in hot ( not boiling water) Adding everything else was easy, i mixed with a metal spoon and poured in into a container where it soon cooled down and solidified. The mixture was very effective, and for my second batch, I added some sieved( very finely sieved) ground nutmeg because I love the scent of coconut and nutmeg. No itching, I actually feel this combo is more effective in reducing body odor.

13. calledtobeuncommon June 7, 2013 at 3:55 pm #

I tried a version of this previously but I think this looks better w the cornstarch added. Can’t wait to try it. I plan on linking back here from my (very new) blog. Any other readers out there come and give me some love!

14. Rach May 21, 2013 at 11:23 am #

Great recipe – I’ve made some up and found it effective! You mention the hazards of aluminium (as we say here in UK), but I think you forgot to note that the baking soda / bicarbonate of soda used for this recipe should be ALUMINIUM-FREE.

Best,
    Rach

• Maggie May 21, 2013 at 12:15 pm #

Rach- it’s a total myth, actually. ALL baking soda is aluminum free. You can read about it here: http://www.crunchybetty.com/the-great-baking-soda-anti-hoax

• Jessic May 25, 2013 at 7:41 am #

It is actually baking POWDER that possibly contains aluminum. Baking SODA is a pure substance; baking powder is a combination of baking soda and cream of tartar (the homemade version anyway) – why they add aluminum I don’t understand (ostensibly for anti-caking, but I don’t have that problem with any of my homemade stuff…)

15. Jolie May 17, 2013 at 10:35 am #

Shortly before I got pregnant with my first girl, I read about the dangers of aluminum in anti-perspirants. I didn’t think much of it at first but started to come across more and more research linking aluminum in the brain to Alzheimer’s and other scary diseases. That was all I needed to know. Did a ton of research on natural deodorants in the market, and Lavilin consistently got really great reviews. Figured I’d try it out and I’m so happy I did! I’ve got 4 kids now, and I make sure all of them use it. My husband loves it as well. We feel a lot safer using Lavilin!

• newgirl May 18, 2013 at 6:18 pm #

oh my!!! For 30 years I have been using Health Food Store deodorants that DO NOT work. This recipe WORKS!! Agrees w/ my body chemistry. I’m so happy to have found it. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

• new girl June 9, 2013 at 7:03 pm #

the only issue i have with this is if it’s really hot, it liquifies. ugh. and i don’t like to keep it in the fridge, because then the coconut will harden too much. maybe i should add more arrow and soda.

• Katherine June 14, 2013 at 6:10 pm #

I had the same problem with Health Food Store deodorants. They don’t agree with my body chemistry and I end up smelling worse than if I hadn’t used any at all. Hopefully I will have the same luck as you.

• Gina December 2, 2013 at 8:44 am #

Jolie – I’ve had a very similar experience as you. Transitioned to Lavilin when I first got pregnant 12 years ago. My husband gave it a shot shortly after, and since then we’ve been a Lavilin family! My boys like the roll-on since they don’t need to dip their fingers in the cream, but my husband and I both use the cream – more effective in our opinion. Apparently the foot deodorant is great too!

16. Chris M May 16, 2013 at 9:56 am #

Fantastic!!!!! After years of switching brands, going back to a brand i thought i would do some research and found this. Store bought deodorants work for a while, then become less effective and/or cause a severe itch. I can go back to a brand after a while before it starts bothering me again. This home made mixture is fantastic. I did not mix it well or it was just too grainy for me at first cause it went on very rough and was very painful. So i remixed and strained it. Ended up with a very silky smooth mixture that goes on great. I jogged yesterday in near 90 degree heat, and no odor….none!!! Assuming no future issues, i will be using this for a long time.

17. Tiffany S May 14, 2013 at 5:55 am #

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I have been skeptical to try this, not sure why though. I ran out of store bought deodorant Sunday night and knew I needed something. I was thinking about doing just baking soda but knew that wouldn’t work all day so figured I would search this recipe up again. Made it while I was getting my daughter ready for school, applied it and at the end of the day, NO SMELL!!! LOVE IT! Thank you again! :)

18. Amanda May 8, 2013 at 5:34 pm #

I used the same measurements listed and mine came out really liquidy. I had to add a TON more conrstarch and baking soda to thicken it up. Do you think it will still be as effective?

• D Smith May 9, 2013 at 12:22 am #

One other reason for this is that you may not have been mixing it long enough. The mixture seems to cake or clump up before it blends and it takes longer than you might think to get to proper consistency.I usually blenduntil it gets a texture similar to creamcheese and I usually use a fork because whisks tend to cake up too much for me. Some use a spoon press technique.

• Jessic May 25, 2013 at 7:45 am #

I personally only use the baking soda/cornstarch – I like to just pat it on and it’s faster for me personally. It works great. I may need a new application if I’m working hard physically, but that’s all :)

19. Cindy April 27, 2013 at 5:58 pm #

Doesn’t coconut oil make your hair grow faster? I don’t want my underarm hair to grow faster! Haha

• D Smith May 9, 2013 at 12:05 am #

I have heard that too, but actually for me my hair under my arms has thinned out (just a little) since Ive been using this. Maybe a good thing? Lol.

20. CHRISTIN April 26, 2013 at 10:18 pm #

Just wanted to say thank you for this, ive been so scared to use regular store crap, and what they sell in health food stores is at a ridiculous price! thank you again

21. L April 11, 2013 at 8:45 am #

can i use lavender oil instead of tea tree oil … and can i use coconut oil that you you apply on your hair,its in liquid state,is it the same as the one in the solid state?

• D Smith April 12, 2013 at 8:42 am #

Yes, you can use the oil oh your preference and I believe that lavender essential oil also has some antimicrobial properties.

If the coconut oil is pure, it’s the same. Coconut oil becomes a liquid at approximately 75 degrees and up.

• D Smith April 12, 2013 at 8:49 am #

Yes, you can use the oil of your preference and I believe that lavender essential oil also has some antimicrobial properties.

22. Rebs April 10, 2013 at 6:40 pm #

Can I add shea to the coconut oil? If so- would you melt it a little first or work it in? Any thoughts?

• Gretchen April 11, 2013 at 5:27 am #

I add about 3-4 tablespoons of shea butter and melt it with the coconut oil, mix in the rest, and then let it solidify in my container of choice. I had to quit using the deoderant because it turned my pits raw and rashy, but the shea butter completely solved it!

23. Debby April 6, 2013 at 3:33 am #

I don’t understand, I’ve made this and it’s not really possible to smear/spread it. I can big chunks of white that I have to remove with a towel.
    I does get liquidy, but when putting it under my arms it it sticks together, if that makes sense.

Also the area around is all white and so are my clothes.

Please help!

• Debby April 6, 2013 at 3:34 am #

I *get* big chunks

• D Smith April 6, 2013 at 8:49 pm #

This has happened to me also before. What I did was take a small chunk and rub it between my fingers to soften it before I applied it. I hope that helps.

• D Smith April 6, 2013 at 8:51 pm #

Im concerned about the appearing white part of your comment. This has never happened to me. What exactly is happenening that is turning white?

• Debby April 7, 2013 at 9:04 am #

Thanks for your reply. I do rub it between my hands or fingers and it does go soft, but chunks remain.
            I also tried making it warm(er) with the blow dryer. It went really smooth but didn’t solve the problem.
            I’m gonna try a new batch.. Don’t know what else to try.
            I’ll let you know!

• debby April 7, 2013 at 9:05 am #

About the whiteness, I think it could be the baking soda..?

• D Smith April 7, 2013 at 9:41 pm #

For the “clumpiness” the only thing I can think of is the ratio of corn starch is too high. For the whiteness, if you are talking about the deodorant, that’s normal. The baking soda, corn starch, and coconut oil (when solid) are all white. I haven’t used arrowroot powder yet but I expect that if its not, it should be close and not change the color much. But let me know if the deo stains any of your clothes white. From my experience it dissolves in sweat and doesn’t leave a residue but I have been using it primarily with white t-shirts.

• D Smith April 7, 2013 at 9:54 pm #

I have seen countless other comments from women on this site and others that praise the deo for not staining clothes. I usually put it on and GENTLY rub it in before putting on my shirts. Not even run, it’s more like smooth it on so that its not chunky. If I am using an old deodorant case, this isnt necessary because my body heat can melt it as I apply it so it goes on easier.

• D Smith May 9, 2013 at 12:00 am #

One thing I forgot though…since it is oil based it CAN stain clothes if youfrom get it on your clothes Before you apply it. This has happened to me slightly on accident at the bottom of my dress shirts but in an inconspicuous area and as I. Was applying it. No stains anywhere else.

• D Smith May 9, 2013 at 12:02 am #

Was thinking of treating it with a little dishwashing soap to get it out, but its not really a problem for me and more of a lesson/reminder to be more careful next time when I apply it.

• D Smith May 9, 2013 at 12:37 am #

The stain was not white though and looks more like a wet spot except since its oil it wont dry out. Any whiteness from accidently touching something dry can be brushed off before it melts to prevent possible stains as well.

• D Smith May 9, 2013 at 12:40 am #

this recently happened to me when I accidently got a little on my black pants as applying but lightly brushing it out with a paper towel worked fine with no stains.

• Jessica May 25, 2013 at 7:48 am #

I just use the baking soda and cornstarch – it works great, no clumping, just pat it on and go. (some falls off onto the sink, but I use that clean the sink ;) ).

24. Melissa April 3, 2013 at 5:58 pm #

I am doing my best to get to a more natural way of life this is bringing mr one step closer thank you so much ! :)

25. Sarah March 25, 2013 at 8:01 pm #

Thank you so much for this! When my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 years ago, I started looking into possible causes for it, and changing some things in my life so that I can be extra-careful and hopefully avoid it. I made this recipe a few weeks ago, and it works WAY better than the natural deodorants I have been using for the last year and a half. It hasn’t stained my clothes, and doesn’t wear off in a few hours. I’ve actually gone 2 days without realizing it! This weekend, I made a batch for my mom and threw away her aluminum deodorant. So simple and effective.

26. Danielle March 18, 2013 at 7:06 pm #

Thank you so much for making this available! I was just looking into a natural, healthy alternative to deodorant after reading an article on the effects of parabens in standard deodorant & their contribution to breast cancer. Anything that furthers my health & the health of others is golden in my book.

27. Water Boy March 16, 2013 at 2:43 am #

Thanks for the recipe. I have always worried about what the ‘ingredients’ of commercial deodorants were doing to my body… I love how this includes coconut oil – I have read of so many benefits that coconut oil has. We really need to be shouting about the health benefits of it from the roof tops and it is one of the very few oils that doesn’t break down with heat.

28. Sarah Anne Howell February 26, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

A friend of mine was given some of this by a friend of hers. It was coconut peppermint deodorant. She let me use some of it. I WAS BLOWN AWAY!!! But I have a few questions that don’t appear to have been asked on this site yet, as my friend has been unable to contact her friend about it.

First, how much peppermint do you suggest I add in ratio with your recipe? Also, what is the consistency of the deodorant like? The one my friend’s friend had made her was the same consistency of a regular old stick of Sure. How do you suggest I get it to that consistency?

29. Debs February 25, 2013 at 10:12 am #

I’ve just made this and can’t wait to try it.

I was thinking though, is it an idea to warm up the oil a little so that the baking soda dissolves and so you don’t have the problem with itchiness or rashes?

• D Smith February 25, 2013 at 6:54 pm #

For me, I think it was the corn starch that caused the rash and the itchiness. I was getting a bad rash after using this a few days and it didn’t go away until I stopped using it for a few days. The rash and itching seem to come when I have been using it continuously for at least a few days and not right away. Lately I have used a baking soda and water paste that has never itched or caused any rash. It usually lasts me at least 24 hours so it’s good in a pinch but it’s not quite as convenient and this deodorant lasts longer. I’ve been having trouble finding beeswax to help thicken the deodorant and take the place of the corn starch though so now I think I’ll just try baking soda and coconut oil by themselves and see how that works.

• SarahBeth March 6, 2013 at 9:48 am #

Beeswax can be purchased at Amazon.com for about a dollar an ounce. Be careful not to use too much, it will make the deodorant hard. It adds a great smell though!

• D Smith March 9, 2013 at 5:18 pm #

Thanks SarahBeth! I was looking locally and not really thinking to look online.

• D Smith March 9, 2013 at 5:19 pm #

Do you have any brands that you would recommend?

• D Smith February 25, 2013 at 7:23 pm #

To answer the other question…Even as a liquid, the baking soda doesnt dissolve like it does in water…its better to apply it in solid form. but I’ve also used a spray mixed with distilled water, baking soda and salt (you can use sea salt if you prefer). It works, but the paste is stronger and using the spray is a little unsettling because you have to figure the right ratios for the strength you need. Common rule is equal ratios of salt and baking soda to keep it ph balanced but the amount to add to the water to be effective from person to person and would take some experimenting. Do not use a paste made with dry salt. It is too abrasive for skin. Salt should be used dissolved only. I hope this wasn’t TMI.

• Debby April 6, 2013 at 3:37 am #

Thanks for the reply. Not tmi at all, the more the better :)

• chelle March 22, 2013 at 10:05 am #

i made a very similar recipe:
      ½ c Shea butter
      ½ c Coconut Oil
      ¼ c Candellila wax
      ¼ c Beeswax
      ½ c arrowroot powder
      ¼ c baking soda
      1 tsp Vit E oil
      EOs

i melted my oils for the powders to disperse…works awesome as a deodorant….after a week i noticed the skin felt different, but i didnt care since i was having awesome no-stink results. but unfortunately, after about 4 weeks of daily use, my pits are peeling, literally sloughing off skin!

ultimately, i dont think dispersement was the issue. i think its the baking soda. sad that im apparently sensitive to it. i might try doing a kaolin clay/arrowroot mix, but i doubt it will have the same deodorizing power baking soda has.

• Robin April 9, 2013 at 6:23 am #

This is probably the wax. It is plugging your pores and you are not getting proper circulation

30. Abby February 6, 2013 at 2:11 pm #

I just made this and forgot the cornstarch. The consistency seems fine. I doubled the baking soda. Do I need to go back and add it?

31. Becky January 30, 2013 at 2:44 pm #

Is this just as effective for other areas of the body…like my nine year old’s chronically smelly feet?

• John March 6, 2013 at 7:21 am #

You can use white vinegar;) It’s natural and works with some patiente;) I read it on http://www.everydaytrick.com
      There are other interesting tricks too overthere

32. Naomi January 29, 2013 at 4:04 am #

Perfect! I just bought coconut oil so we could make our third batch of deoderant and needed to come check your recipe – and there it was. I’ve really enjoyed it. Our almost 2-year-old likes to put use it too, sticking her hand down her shirt just like mommy and daddy :)

33. Jennifer January 25, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

Hi, I was just wondering which type of coconut oil you buy. The refined or unrefined? And do you use the same kind for cooking and body care? Thanks!

• Lindsay January 26, 2013 at 8:52 am #

I used unrefined coconut oil for all my needs because it just keeps it simple.

34. Melly Queen January 23, 2013 at 9:08 am #

Love this! We actually already make this and it is wonderful!

35. Anna January 21, 2013 at 5:52 am #

I’ve been looking for a natural deodorant recipe, this sounds like something I can do! I have all the ingredients on hand, can’t wait to try it. Always so nice to meet a fellow Believer in Jesus Christ on the web! Thanks, Anna

36. Bek January 18, 2013 at 6:16 pm #

NEVER STOP SHARING THIS! I’ve been using this for a few years now and am always telling everyone to try it. It works so much better than any commercial deo I ever tried and it smells way better. I smell much better, too! When I first switched, it seemed to draw all the toxins out of my body and I don’t stink anymore. I only wear this stuff every 2-3 days (about how often I shower). We have been trained to think we need all these harsh cleaners and chemicals but if we let our bodies work the way they were designed, they work better!

• Stephanie February 24, 2013 at 9:55 pm #

You have inspired me to try this recipe. Thanks for commenting. :D

37. Lexie January 18, 2013 at 11:37 am #

This is actually how I found your blog – by searching for a homemade deodorant. :) And, it’s ultimately what got my skin care business running.

38. Evie January 2, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

This is a fantastic recipe! I’m really happy I came across it. I’ve tried using just baking soda and water in the past and found it was too harsh on my armpits and caused a lot of irritation and discomfort! Drugstore deodorants never did work for me as far as eliminating odor, but this sure does. It’s been about a month since I started using this recipe and I am very happy. I am much more confident now when I’m out and about because even when I am sweating (which is pretty much all the time), I know I don’t have the odor that I had in the past. I also feel good knowing what’s in my deodorant. I just apply this on clean and lightly exfoliated (with a soft sponge) armpits and I’m ready for the day.Thank you for this recipe!!

39. Merope December 17, 2012 at 1:47 am #

I hope you’re still checking comments… I’m not in the US so I could inadvertently get something wrong. So, you say baking soda, is that sodium bicarbonate on it’s own or mixed with a crystallized acid (usually cream of tartar)?

Second, if closely related, question, if baking soda is the one with acid then your statement about it being a potential irritant makes even more sense. So, if so, is the acid important, or would it be better to try to make this with acid-free sodium bicarb?

Thanks in advance for all help, and I can’t wait to try this!

Merope

• Pegasus December 30, 2012 at 9:45 am #

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate — baking powder is the one with the crystallized acid.

40. Gunhild December 12, 2012 at 10:22 pm #

This sounds like a great recipe, I’ll definitely try it out!
    But I was just wondering: are you implying, that only women can get breast cancer? It is not so! Men have nipples and they can get breast cancer, I think it’s around 5% of all who get breast cancer. Just IFY.

41. Kathy December 12, 2012 at 1:06 pm #

Great video! I’ve made my own toothpaste with coconut oil as a base, and can’t wait to try your deodorant recipe. Seems SO much more healthy than the store-bought varieties. I have everything on-hand except for the arrowroot powder. BTW, what else can I use the arrowroot powder for? Thanks!

• W. J. Purifoy December 12, 2012 at 5:26 pm #

You can use arrowroot powder for anything where you would use cornstarch. I use arrowroot for thickening in cooking because most corn products are contaminated by genetically modified corn – it is wind pollinated so the altered corn pollen floats in the air and lands on other corn crops. I’ve read that about 95% of all U.S. corn crops have been polluted now.

Arrowroot used to be very common in the past, but cornstarch being cheaper, now arrowroot is a specialty item.

Also, kudzu powder can also be used for thickener – I don’t know how well it would work for this deodorant recipe.

42. Hannah December 11, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

When I got pregnant with my little one, I started looking into more natural skin care products. I actually tried this first and we (my husband and I) have been using it for about a year now and it really does work! My husband even says he likes it better than his old stand by. I have included this with my homemade Christmas gifts this year – especially the new moms on my list.

43. Layyah December 8, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

I just have to say; I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOU!!! Thank you so much for the video. This is just what I have been needing in my quest for all natural deodorant. Some years ago I found a recipe for natural deodorant that was 1 part baking soda to 2 parts cornstarch and although I used it for a while, it was very inconvenient because it was a powder. This is the answer to my prayers. I do have one question though, how would I incorporate the benefits of lemon into this recipe? Would I use the essential oil or could I use a fresh lemon? If I used the fresh lemon, would it definitely need to be refrigerated? Thank you in advance for your time. :)

• D Smith February 15, 2013 at 10:20 am #

I use the lemon essential oil(EO) as it wont spoil and the scent is stronger. Lemon juice also contains water which can cause your deodorant to emulsify. You dont want that. Keep in mind though that the EO is basically concentrated so you mix in drops. Try a few drops first, then add more or less based on your personal preference. Lemon EO also has beneficial properties such as antimicrobial etc.

• Stephanie February 24, 2013 at 9:54 pm #

Also the lemon EO comes from the rind, so it is completely different then lemon juice. Just FYI. Lemon EO is not very pricey though, citruses are usually very affordable.

44. Kim from VT December 1, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

Thanks for this. Found your site sometime last year. I’d been searching forever for a natural deodorant that actually WORKS. Who would have figured it would be one I could make myself–total bonus! I just used up the last of my first batch and am about to make another.

45. Jan November 18, 2012 at 9:25 pm #

I just want to thank you so much for this recipe. Both myself and my hubbie (believe it or not) have been testing this out for the last few days…two words….LOVE IT!!! I’m still finding it hard to believe that this deodorant eliminates the body odour. Not only does it eliminate it but it lasts amazingly throughout the whole day and into the next :) Thanks again!!

46. Dee November 16, 2012 at 9:18 am #

Made this last night, used it today, LOVE. I added tea tree oil to the mix and it smells sooo beautiful! It was a CRAZY day and the deodorant really kept the ‘funk’ in check. I will be using this for the forseeable future, thank you SO MUCH!!!

47. Dee November 14, 2012 at 10:05 pm #

Oh wow – been desperately looking for a natural deo, and I have all the ingredients for this at home! Can’t wait to go and mix it up. Thank you so much for this!

48. Lori November 13, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

I just made this yesterday. LOVE IT!!! I have bought some tea tree oil that I would like to add to it. Can you tell me how much I am supposed to add? Thanks!!!

49. John November 6, 2012 at 12:26 pm #

Wow great article I can’t wait to try this. I always had a bad smell using regural deodorants until I started using natural deodorarnts that ca be found in organic stores. One good trick that really helps to reduce odor is to apply vinergar at night. It is great at killling any bacteria that is causing bad odor.