One of my goals for this year was to establish a monthly service night where we could work together with our children to serve others around us. I passionately desire to be participating in the Great Comission in simple and practical ways. I desire that our children can have real life tangible activities to be the hands and feet of Christ to those around us and to the nations. But at the same time I knew it is easy to get consumed in ministry and leave our families behind.
My goal this year was to establish a night in which we could serve others in a doable manner. I don’t want to add a huge project to my plate, but still practically encourage a heart for service to others in our hearts, both my husband and I, and our children. I am so thankful for the inspiration of Kristen at We Are that Family who recently compiled an excellent resource called 100+ Ways Your Family Can Make A Difference. This list has so many wonderful ideas for your family!
This year our family is setting aside the 4th Friday of every month to be our family service night. These are the ideas we will be doing throughout the year, Lord willing. For February we are doing our service project for Valentine’s Day (today)! Some months we will likely do more than one activity at a time (as in December we will complete #13 & 14). I found it helpful to plan out our activities and get them on the calendar now!
1. Make Valentine’s Gifts for the elderly at our local care center.
2. Send a care package to our military.
3. Collect shoes for Shoes for Kids (visit our local consignment stores, Goodwill, etc. to collect shoes).
4. Buy restaurant gift cards and distribute to the homeless on street corners.
5. Collect items for restoration bags for girls coming out of trafficking.
6. Donate school supplies to a classroom in need (contact local school for specific needs here in our community).
7. Prepare New Mommy Blessings bags for our local Pregnancy Resource Center (newborn baby supplies (diapers, rash cream, toy, gender neutral outfit, burp cloth), new mom care items (nipple cream, lotions, etc), wrapped in a cute baby blanket or receiving blanket)k
8. Decorate our local Elder care center with homemade art work.
9. Bake cookies for our local Fire Department.
10. Pick up trash at local park as a family field trip.
11. Fill Action Packs for the persecuted church (via Voice of the Martyrs).
12. Make a baby care kit for a baby in need.
13. Fill Operation Christmas Child boxes.
14. Adopt an foster child for Christmas through Angel Tree.
Want to join us in establishing a fun family service night at your home? I will be sharing our adventures with you all as the year continues!