The Heavenly Work Before Me

There have been repeated times in the past few years where I have struggled with the “what if’s” of my past. What if I had continued to pursue a college degree and not gotten married so early? What if we had waited longer to have children? What if I pursued an active career? I see other couples waiting five years to have children and feel a bit of discontentment creep up in my heart because I wonder what it would have been like to have such freedom. I’ll be honest and confess that it has been a great struggle in my heart. This job of motherhood is so hard. It’s hard to get up and care for little ones when I am lacking serious sleep. It’s hard to train them with grace and patience. It’s hard to embrace their neediness with joy.

The Lord has been gently working on my heart as I am currently mediating through Ephesians 5:15-17, “Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.”

What does God have for you? I’ve found that what God desires me to embrace is often right in front of me. It’s not way out there. It’s these little hands and feet He has called me to nurture. It’s this strong man that He has called me to support, cheer on, and follow. The will of the Lord is for me is to delight in, to embrace where He has me right now. When I doubt that, I am walking foolishly. I’m mocking his plan. He has called me to be a wife, mother, and homemaker. It may not have come in my own timing, but it certainly has been His timing (Proverbs 16:9).

THIS, right HERE…is what God has assigned for me. The fullness of my womanhood is experienced in embracing these tasks with intentionality. We truly only have one life to live, it will soon be past. Only what is done for Christ will last. To walk any other way is to walk blindly, foolishly.

I’ve experienced such fear, doubt, and lack of value because I’ve focused on what this culture exalts, rather than what God truly values. What did Jesus embrace? Jesus welcome the little children (Luke 18:16). He chose the humble, the weak, and gave them beauty and value (even when his culture looked down upon them and tried to send them away).

THIS WORK…this is heavenly work. He said they were what the Kingdom was made up of. He embraced the weak…not the intelligent, educated, and religious people. Jesus said to love the little children is valuable. It is beautiful. It is His work. Even with all it’s messes and challenges. He never promised it would be easy, but He did promise that this is the work of the Kingdom, and what we do to the least of these, we do for Him (Matthew 25:40). If this is the season He has called you to, then being faithful where you are is the best use of your time.

What you do sisters in your homes has beauty and value. It was what Jesus exalted. Don’t waste another moment thinking about the past, or what you’ve given up. It’s a waste of the precious moment you have in front of you.

Lindsay Edmonds is first a lover of Jesus, wife, mother of four, homemaker, and writer. She loves inspiring women around the world toward simple, natural, and intentional living for the glory of God.

115 Responses to The Heavenly Work Before Me

1. Uliana December 14, 2012 at 1:22 am #

Thank you so much for this post!

2. Jessie Madanat May 22, 2012 at 4:38 am #

So beautiful and true…. only what’s done for Christ will last…Amen.

3. Amanda February 17, 2012 at 2:18 pm #

Boy, can I relate to these feelings. I was married young, at 20, and we waited 3 years to have our first child which I thought was a good wait, but when I look around me, now that I am 28 there are still many friends who are waiting to have their first child while I am due soon with our 3rd! We live a very frugal lifestyle, and it’s necessary because we didn’t put our careers before having a family. It’s easy to think life would probably be easier financially if we had waited…..however, I know for us, deep down that was not God’s plan for us at all. If I had focused on my career, it would have been harder for me to walk away from that to be at home with my kids. I grew up in a family that lived very destructive lives and children were an “inconvenience” to them, and so I feel honoured to be able to show my children how much I love them by being at home with them….even when it’s hard. And as for the freedom thing, they won’t be babies/toddlers forever! :) Soon enough I know our kids will be old enough to go camping, travelling, etc. with them.

4. Evelyn February 17, 2012 at 2:06 pm #

You have no idea how much this helped me see things in a different perspective! I felt so blessed and so much peace while i was reading this! I love being an at home mom as well but i gotta say that at times i feel just as you described, looking at the past and asking myself…what if! But you are so right, this is what God has called me to do and i shouldn’t waste my time in thinking about the past! Thank you so much! By the way i love everything you write about. Your a true woman that God has blessed with so much wisdom! Be blessed:)

5. Lacey February 9, 2012 at 7:51 am #

Wow – this is so great! I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I wanted more than anything to be married young and have children and God has blessed me tremendously in this area… yet, sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to have gone to college and pursued a career. When I go before God with these thoughts in my heart – it puts me back in perspective and I wouldn’t trade one second of my life for the life “I could have had”. I love my husband and my unborn child more than anything on this earth. Yes, I may have days of struggle – but, what a beautiful thing God has called me to do.

6. Lana February 8, 2012 at 11:42 am #

This is the very thing I’ve been struggling with this week…and the very words I needed to hear. Thank you for ministering to me!

7. Ashley February 6, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

Thank you for this post. We don’t have children yet, but I struggle with similar issues. It can be difficult to live a life that seek’s God’s will, instead of those things that society says we should seek (i.e. wealth, power, etc.).

8. Melissa February 4, 2012 at 10:57 am #

THIS POST is why I subscribe to your blog — and why it remains only one of six that I make a point of reading every post. Thank you. It is difficult when you’re in the trenches to keep your eyes on the heavenly. Thank you. I have printed out this post and am keeping it in my binder so I can reflect on it over and over…

9. Sarah February 2, 2012 at 8:21 pm #

Linday, thank you for your transparency in this post. I will tell you that I also had struggled with this a few years back when I had two children (I now have 4!). I felt so alone in the struggle, as though I should be enjoying each moment of my life and motherhood. I prayed and I worked with the Lord through that difficult time and I can honestly now testify that I love being a stay at home mom and would not change that for anything! The enemy loves to breed discontentment in our hearts in order to steal away from our real purpose which is to glorify God. Keep meditating and keep praying and God will honor your heart and your love for Him through this struggle!

10. Amy February 1, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

Thank you, Lindsay. This is just what I needed! I have three little boys, 4, 2, and 11 months, and it is oh-so-stretching, but what privilege. Thank you for the encouragement to remember how much Jesus values the little ones, and to fully embrace His calling as His daughters, and as wives and mothers.

11. Kristy February 1, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

What a wonderful encouragement this is! I especially appreciate your reminder of what Jesus embraced and what the Kingdom is made up of. I am one of those who was married for 5 years before conceiving and got a great start on a career. The whole time I was longing for motherhood and the opportunity to be a homemaker. I even wondered what life would have been like if I had never worked and started having children earlier, as if perhaps I had made a mistake.

Now, I am 7 months pregnant and (because my husband and I moved) I have been at home for 4 months. I am shocked at the guilt that has crept into my mind for not working outside the house, and it only took a few months. I’ve realized Satan wants to keep us crippled from worshiping and praising God. So, I’ve resigned to remember that like you said, THIS is what God has called me to do. While I was working out of the house, I was supposed to worship God in my work. While I’m at home, I’m supposed to worship God in my work.

Aside from all this, I’d like to tell you that your blog has been a tremendous encouragement and resource for me. Over the last couple of years, as my family has sought to live more naturally, I have enjoyed your recipes for homemade beauty products, cleaning products, and food. I also greatly appreciate your insight and advice for raising children, worshiping God daily, goal setting, blessing our husbands, and the list goes on. From thousands of miles away, God has used your humble career at home to bless me and my family.

12. Camille February 1, 2012 at 3:00 am #

Wow, this is so real truth. Thank you for being so transparent. It’s almost hard to accept that we can think this way sometimes. Because “free”dom is so attractive. Shedding off responsibility in the present is so desirable, but they are for reasons other than God’s Will. But, “what if” the reasons are for ministry, God has you where you are now, but,’what if’… the list goes on. To embrace the present is the only way to humbly look forward to the future. Thanks be to God!

Camille

13. Judy January 31, 2012 at 5:43 pm #

So true and so beautiful. It’s very beautiful when we fit into his plan.
    I raised my four children practically alone but it was the greatest thing I could ever do and has been a great blessing to see them all grow up to be such fine human beings. I’m so proud of them. To think God used me to raise four unique, wonderful people. He had to be helping me or they would not have turned out the way they did.