Four Secrets to Thick, Creamy Yogurt Every Time

Written by contributing writer, Trina Holden

Yogurt is one of the simplest traditional foods and a staple in the real food kitchen. Everyone should make their own. The problem is, many have tried to master this simple technique only to have it turn out runny, flavorless, or sour. Eventually they return defeated to the expensive, overly sweetened, store bought version that is all-too-often stripped of good fats.

I have been making yogurt for sixteen years and only in the last six months been able to obtain consistent results with a yogurt that is creamy and thick as custard. (See  the photo – my yogurt is so thick it can stand on its head!) My kids crave it and even my husband will eat it–hooray!

If you have not been satisfied with your yogurt attempts so far, I encourage you to check out these tips and see if there isn’t something here that was missing from your previous attempts. Many of my friends have finally achieved the goal of making their own yogurt by following this step-by-step recipe and keeping in mind these tips…

The Four Secrets to Thick and Creamy Yogurt Every Time

• Keep it fresh! Get new starter every month or so. You can use your own yogurt for starter several times over, but if your yogurt starts turning out runny or has a funny consistency, it’s time for new starter.
  • Keep it clean! Sterilize the jars you will incubate and store the yogurt in. You want to have control over what bacteria and cultures are growing, so always start with a clean slate.
  • Respect your starter! Don’t beat it to death – let it retain some of its form and dignity and it will work well for you every time.
  • Let it rest! A long incubation time gives the yogurt a full flavor and thicker consistency. Don’t be afraid to leave it overnight!

Yogurt in 10 Simple Steps

1. Pour 1/2 gallon of milk int a large, heavy bottomed sauce pot. For vanilla yogurt, add 1T. vanilla extract and 1/2 c. maple syrup, honey, or sucanat.

2. Heat milk to 180 degrees, or until it bubbles and forms a sking. Turn of heat.

3. Cool milk to 120 degrees. or until you can keep your finger in the milk without burning yourself. Place pot in sink of cold water to speed up this step.

4. Meanwhile, sterilize 2-3 qt. jars by pouring boiling water over them and letting them drain.

5. When milk has cooled, scoop one cup milk into a small bowl and gently swirl in 1/2 c. yogurt (any fresh plain yogurt from the store will work or you can use a yogurt starter)–no stirring!

6. Pour starter mixture back into pot and swirl gently. You are introducing the starter to the milk, not incorporating it.

7. Pour the milk into sterilized jars, if you see chunks of yogurt, you know you did steps 5 and 6 right! Try to divide these chunks between your jars.

8. Cap jars and set them in the pot you warmed the milk in. Fill pot to rim of jars with hot tap water and leave in sink or on counter.

9. Let yogurt incubate 10-18 hours.

10. Move jars to fridge to chill.

Enjoy!

Note from Trina: This recipe is from my new ebook, Real{Fast}Food. It’s full of time saving tips for the real food kitchen, teaching you how to plan better, cook faster, and eat healthier! You’ll find lots of great recipes and techniques to get you through the busy summer months. For more information, visit Real{Fast}Food.

About Trina Holden

Trina enjoys offering hospitality from their 1800’s farm house in Upstate New York. She loves to encourage women to nourish their families, celebrate the journey, and choose to thrive at TrinaHolden.com.

161 Responses to Four Secrets to Thick, Creamy Yogurt Every Time

1. Christina August 15, 2011 at 5:25 pm #

I love your method. It’s so much faster than what I was doing. Thanks!

2. Melanie July 29, 2011 at 5:15 pm #

Is it possible to get the incubating water too hot? My first batch was a flop–totally runny. I turned the tap to hot and filled up my pot, but I was wondering if that could be hot enough to kill off the yogurt. I’ve made yogurt successfully many times before and the method of incubation was the biggest difference this time.

3. Holly July 29, 2011 at 12:09 pm #

Do you need to bring the starter to room temperature or do you use it cold? It seems that this might me important and could change the temperature. I was just wondering what others do and if anyone has found that this changes the yogurt at all.

4. Lucy July 24, 2011 at 9:11 am #

Thank you for sharing your tips!!! I used a heating pad instead of the saucepan with hot water. The heating pad provides consistent heat and I use a glass casserole dish with a lid. Cover the covered dish with a towel and incubate at medium heat for 12 hours or so. I have never had a failed batch ever!!

Also, when you heat the milk, I use a 3 quart double boiler so I can make a 1/2 gallon (2 quarts) each time. I also use a commercially made yogurt as a starter. I buy those individual cups (vanilla flavor to be exact since I can’t find the plain) containers and use about 1/2 a container per 2 quart batch. The double boiler prevents any spillovers and scortched milk. If the milk scortches, it has to be discarded and you have to start again.

I hope my experience helps anyone!!

5. Katie @ Imperfect People July 18, 2011 at 4:47 pm #

Mine are incubating now :) I am looking foward to some yummy yogurt for breakfast!

6. Cori July 12, 2011 at 11:06 am #

I have been making yogurt for a few years now. I make a gallon every couple of weeks. I strain some for a few hours for greek yogurt and I even strain some overnight and use it as a cream cheese substitute in recipes. The other day I noticed a new and expensive yogurt was extremely marked down so I picked a few up. It is called Noosa yoghurt. I guess it’s Australian but made in Colorado. It was so amazing! It is like eating cheesecake. There is milk, cane sugar, cream, dry milk, and honey along with pectin, proteins and cultures. My flavor is nothing compared to theirs! Has anyone tried Noosa and how do you think we can duplicate it?

Cori

7. Meggan July 2, 2011 at 1:48 pm #

BTW- if you use a flavored starter yogurt (we like yobaby blueberry), you get a mild blueberry flavor in your full batch. Really yummy!!

8. Meggan July 2, 2011 at 1:46 pm #

We actually don’t like the taste of our yogurt after it has gone 10 hours. Mine is about perfect at 4. I also have trouble with lots of whey separating out if I let it go so long. For us, the perfect incubation time is 4 hours, on the counter at room temp (75-80 degrees)!

• Rebekah August 2, 2011 at 9:57 am #

Same here. We like it at 6 or 7 hours. After that, the whey starts to separate oddly. :)

9. Lisa June 30, 2011 at 7:18 am #

I tried making your yogurt, but used raw milk. After making it I realized I shouldn’t have heated it to 180. It tastes good but got a very weird texture. I was reading that with raw milk you heat it to 110. So when the milk is at 110 do I add the yogurt starter right away and not let it cool at all?

• Heidi July 28, 2011 at 10:49 am #

I always use raw milk and it is always really runny. I will have to try not taking it to 180. I am curious if you tried again and if it turned out. I get tired of trying and it not working. I was excited to try it this time for a thicker yogurt but that wasn’t the case

10. Karla June 28, 2011 at 9:04 am #

I was all set to try your method, then someone else suggested a crock pot. I was like – I have one of those! It gave me peace of mind knowing I didn’t have to stress over the temperature too much, based on your experience. At first I just used a half gallon, but I also tried it with a gallon of milk (minus a canning jar’s worth to make homemade buttermilk). I used strained yogurt as a starter, which makes for thicker results. In the morning there’s always some whey separated, and there are some small lumps, but it incorporates nicely. I’m so glad I can make such a big batch of yogurt all at once! We eat it with blueberries, flaxseed meal, and honey for breakfast, and in smoothies.

11. Susan King June 28, 2011 at 8:08 am #

The yogurt manufacturers around the world have nothing on you! Your recipe is so easy and so good…I’ve never had better yogurt! Thank you for sharing!

12. Kim Kauffman June 27, 2011 at 12:53 pm #

I have mine going right now. It’s been five hours and I peeked and it looks really thick already. This would be great if it works out because I spend so much money on yogurt, especially now that my daughter eats it. Thanks for the recipe and tips!

13. ChristineG June 27, 2011 at 4:56 am #

Wow! That was a very helpful post. I will definitely be printing this one and putting your suggestions into action. Thank you!!

14. Linda White June 24, 2011 at 7:30 am #

Well I tried my first batch and sorry to say it did not turn out. The taste was good but it was very watery.
    In Step 8 of your directions you say to add hot water to the rim of the jars. Will this step have to be repeated in order to keep it warm? I am confused on this step and if it has to be repeated periodically. Thanks so much for the recipe and for all the comments. I will continue trying to make yogurt as I eat it every day, but it’s the store bought and I want to learn to make my own.

• trina June 27, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

Linda, I’m really sorry your first batch didn’t turn out! I’d love to help you trouble shoot…wish we could be in the same kitchen for a few hours! Was the yogurt completely watery, or did you get a bit of a set?

I don’t add more hot water to the pot – the yogurt cools gradually, but it retains its heat for long enough that it provides adequete incubation usually. Perhaps you could try the cooler with hot water method, or in a crockpot.

• Linda White June 28, 2011 at 8:34 am #

Thanks Trina for your input. I tried the crock pot and it’s a long process, but it was watery also. I did try your method using whole milk, vanilla and maple syrup. It did turn out thick, but it was too tangy. I like it more sweet. I did add the hot water periodically and let it set for 10 hours so my next step will be to use sweetener instead of maple syrup and will not add additional water during the process. I also wish you were in my kitchen to trouble shoot, but trial and error will have to do. Thanks again. I will keep trying.

15. Marci June 21, 2011 at 5:52 am #

I am glad to see that you don’t add gelatin or powdered milk, but I like to make my yogurt raw so that the milk enzymes are still there and not dead. Heating it up to 180° pasteurizes the milk. Have you ever tried to make it with raw milk?

• trina June 27, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

Marci, I haven’t done raw milk yogurt – yet! I also make kefir regularly, so I figure I’m getting the raw enzymes in a serving of that.

16. Startledoctopus June 20, 2011 at 3:25 am #

Question! Do I have to refresh the water in the pot occasionally? Won’t it cool down and the cultures stop working their magic?

I’m so frustrated with my inconsistent yogurt results and all the sites I can find have extremely contradictory advice – whisk it in vigorously, don’t stir it, lids off, lids on, etc!!

• trina June 27, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

I commend your persistence! When I incubate in a large pot of hot water with the lid on, it seems to retain the heat for enough hours for the yogurt to incubate well. I don’t refresh the water, but just ignore it and it does fine!

17. Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates June 19, 2011 at 9:23 pm #

Thank you for those tips! I just might have to try again – I was using the crockpot method, but it was getting more and more runny (I think it was too hard to get a consistent temp). This sounds pretty easy!

• trina June 27, 2011 at 12:41 pm #

Lisa, be sure to try it with new, storebought yogurt – old starter can be the problem to a yogurt getting runnier each time. :)

18. KatieV June 19, 2011 at 2:42 pm #

This may be a dumb question, but would it be possible to make a non-dairy yogurt?–using coconut milk, perhaps? My local health food markets have coconut-milk-based and almond-milk-based yogurts I could use as a starter.

• trina June 27, 2011 at 12:42 pm #

Katie, I have heard of making your own coconut yogurt – I’d do a bit more research, but it sounds like it’s worth a try!

19. Breena June 19, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

P.S it’s completely crazy…but you and I have the EXACT same kitchen!!! Same wall color, same cabinets…you might think I stalked you or something if you saw a pic…I’ll find a way to show you…so, in other words, you have a really cute kitchen ;)

• trina June 27, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

Thanks, Breena. I’d love to see your kitchen!

20. Breena June 19, 2011 at 2:36 pm #

Did anyone ask about making yogurt from Rice or Almond milk? We took out cows milk and has made a huge difference in my sons allergies…could I try this method using either of those? Thanks! I hope I am not a repeat :)

Breena

21. Tammi June 18, 2011 at 8:59 pm #

Trina,
    I just finished letting my yogurt set for 11 hours. It’s thick, smells great, and I can’t wait to try it tomorrow! One more question, if you dont mind :) ….
    I did strain it because I prefer a Greek style, and it seemed to have a lot of whey to it (nearly half). Is it possible to lesson this amount by letting it cure longer? Or does it always have this much?

Thank you so much for this great recipe!

• Carmen June 19, 2011 at 12:24 pm #

I find that if you leave it a bit longer, it will thicken more (as long as it can maintain a warm temp between 100-120 degrees). But, I also find it becomes tangier – which I like, but not everyone does.

• trina June 27, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

Honestly, Tammi, I don’t know what’s ‘normal’ ’cause I’ve never strained my yogurt. It does seem like a lot of whey, but I imagine your yogurt must be very thick and yummy!

• Rebekah August 2, 2011 at 9:59 am #

Oh, that’s what happens when I strain mine: about half of it is whey. I think it’s normal. And STILL cheaper than buying it!

22. Carrie June 18, 2011 at 11:14 am #

I love our homemade crockpot yogurt, so simple! I just strain with a tea towel to add thickness. Sometimes I even make a quirk ( not sure about the spelling, but it is like a yogurt cheese).

23. Tammi June 18, 2011 at 11:07 am #

This might be a funny question, but actually my 13 y/o daugher suggested it! :) Has anyone tried using the warming drawer (on the lowest setting) in their overn, to keep the yogurt warm for the 10+ hours?

• Carmen June 19, 2011 at 12:21 pm #

I leave mine in the oven with the lights on. Warming drawer could work as well – just make sure the temperature is not above 120 degrees or you can kill the cultures.

• Rebekah August 2, 2011 at 10:00 am #

I make yogurt in a large pot and divide it into jars after incubation. So my incubation method is to preheat the oven to 350, wrap the pot of yogurt in towels, shut off the oven, and leave the pot in there for 7 hours. I turn on the light and add four or five jars full of very hot water, which helps to maintain the warmth. Works great and you aren’t even using the oven!

24. Tammi June 18, 2011 at 9:09 am #

Trina,
    Have you tried freezing your yogurt to use later?

• THolden June 18, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

Wow, I never thought of that – if it worked, it could save me a trip to the store for starter when a batch fails or goes sour before I’ve had a chance to make more! Has anyone else tried this?

• Lily June 18, 2011 at 7:42 pm #

Yes, I freeze yogurt I purchase for starter in ice cube trays. Pop them into a freezer bag once frozen and take out one cube per half gallon of milk, as needed (I use quite a bit less starter than you do – about a tablespoon per quart of milk). It has worked perfectly every time so far; I just let it thaw while I’m scalding and cooling the milk. Additionally, there are more options in plain yogurt when you purchase it in larger containers, in addition to it being less expensive than smaller containers, so freezing extra is a good way to make the most of those benefits.

25. Amanda June 18, 2011 at 4:42 am #

Hi!

I have a silly question: I’m actually making the yogurt as I type and was wondering if I use 1T of vanilla will the alcohol burn off when the milk is heating? Also will the vanilla yogurt that I make work as a starter or should I buy a plain starter. I don’t think I would be a flavored starter from the store, but sense it is homemade maybe?

Thanks in advance for being willing to help me :)

• THolden June 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

Amanda, the yogurt will not be alcoholic, if that is your question?
      I regularly use whatever I have available for starter – leftovers of my own batch or even flavored from the store.

26. Julie in Houston June 17, 2011 at 5:34 pm #

Can you tell me about Greek style yogurt? I love the Fage 0% from the store and it’s super thick almost like sour cream. Can I make that in this same method?? Also, what are the nutirtional properties? Fage has a TON of protein.

THANKS!!!

• Lindsay June 18, 2011 at 5:45 am #

You can make any yogurt into greek style yogurt by straining the yogurt after completion through a cheese cloth or cloth napkin to remove excess liquids/whey. This will make the creamier, thicker yogurt known as greek yogurt with a more dense higher protein content because the liquids are removed. You can also purchase a greek yogurt starter which will give more of that greek flavor, less tart, as I understand. I just received my greek yogurt culture starter this week from Cultures for Health and am eager to start it myself!

27. Melissa June 17, 2011 at 8:17 am #

My first attempt awhile back turned out sour, and I’m not sure what I did wrong but I really want to give it another try! This time I might buy a starter….any recommendations on which starter to use from cultures of health? I’m leaning toward the “viili starter” would love to hear if anyone has used it or another one! Thanks!

28. Chris June 16, 2011 at 6:21 pm #

I love making yogurt in the crockpot. It is SO easy! I strain it with a colander and coffee filter to make my own Greek yogurt and use the whey in smoothies. I could hardly ever make yogurt the other way. I think anyone who tries this, will never go back to making yogurt the other way :)

29. Deb June 16, 2011 at 8:56 am #

So, the longer the yogurt sits, the more tart it tastes? My kids don’t like regular yogurt, but do like Greek yogurt – I think because it is less tart. Is there a way to make thick, creamy yogurt without it getting too tart to suit The Pickiest Children On Earth?

Also, what about making yogurt in a machine? I am a complete newbie and wonder if that would be an easier way to start.

• THolden June 16, 2011 at 9:28 am #

Deb, I used to be afraid to let my yogurt sit too long, not having an appetite for the tart flavor either. But I’ve found that this yogurt doesn’t so much taste ‘tart’ as much as simply having a fuller, yogurty flavor that my other batches were missing (I used to incubate for just 6 hours) Try the vanilla version, and use maple syrup for sweetener, and see if your kids can even tell the difference!

• Karla June 16, 2011 at 11:16 am #

I first started making yogurt when making homemade baby food, and ended up purchasing something like this one. It was pretty handy when I was mainly giving it to the little one, but now that yogurt has become more of a staple in our diet, it doesn’t really cut it.

Unless I buy additional glass containers (which are expensive – and why not just use the canning jars I already have?), I’m limited to how much I can make at once. And if we have yogurt just for breakfast, I’ve already used up almost half a batch, nevermind any other uses I may have for the yogurt (cooking, baking, smoothies).

Probably the reason why Greek yogurt is more appealing to folks – besides the texture – is that the whey has been strained out. I think that’s probably where some of the tartness comes into play. Just strain homemade yogurt, and use the whey for other recipes.

• Michelle October 10, 2011 at 3:42 am #

I have that same yogurt maker, and I’ve found that a seven cup round pyrex container fits perfectly in there. I have a couple of those and it’s easier to strain than the smaller jars…so I’ve been using that lately.

30. Kilala June 16, 2011 at 8:32 am #

Something else that I find when you’re going for thick and creamy is the thickness of the yogurt starter. When I use whey as a starter, it comes out with more liquid, and when I use Greek yogurt, it is decidedly thicker.
    When I do yogurt, I put milk in glass jars on a dish towel in a stock pot full of water. I heat it, then cool it down, pour in some whey, and wrap up the whole pot – water and jars and all – in some fleece blankets. I leave it overnight and it comes out perfect every time.
    Because I hate having to watch the milk cook to keep it from burning, and wash an extra dish afterwards.

31. Joanna June 16, 2011 at 8:25 am #

Yay! It worked like a charm. We don’t eat yogurt all the time so I only made about a quart’s worth. If it could help anyone…this is what I did.

I fill up a quart jar with my raw milk (leaving enough space for the added starter/yogurt) then poured it into a sauce pan and heated to 180. Cooled it to 120 (while cooling I put the quart jar in a small cooler with hot water and put the lid on). When milk cooled to 120 I dump out all the water in the cooler and quart jar and lined the cooler with a thick towel. Using the instructions above, I took out some of the cooled milk and swirled in about 2 heaping Tablespoons of yogurt (I use Dannon Plain Yogurt when I don’t have any yogurt for a starter), then poured that back into the rest of the milk and swirled again. I put the lid on the quart jar and put it into the cooler and PACKED the towel all around the jar, then put the lid on the cooler and set in a place on the kitchen counter where it WILL NOT move for about 10-15 hours. Depends on how sour you like it.

Like I said, it worked great! It was much thicker than all my other yogurts that I have made. It does not bother us too much but with company, they are used to thicker yogurt. So this will be the way we make yogurt from now on! Thank you so much for posting this.

Blessings,
    Joanna :)

• THolden June 16, 2011 at 9:30 am #

Joanna, I’m delighted to hear this! Thanks for giving us a report. :)

32. Amanda June 16, 2011 at 4:35 am #

This is the first set of yogurt instructions that actually makes me think I can do this! I am most certainly going to try this now that my fears are resolved!

33. Kellie June 15, 2011 at 8:52 pm #

Does the starter yoghurt need to be plain yoghurt or can it be flavored if that’s all that I have in my fridge? I’ve never attempted my own yoghurt before but am anxious to give it a try!

• Karla June 16, 2011 at 4:25 am #

I’ve read that, since flavored yogurts almost always contain sugar, it’s best to avoid using these as a starter since the sugar somehow inhibits the culturing process (or at least slow it down) – but I could be wrong on this. Even if you use a plain starter and want a sweeter yogurt, I would add sweeteners *after* the yogurt has been cultured. We top our plain yogurt with ground flaxseed, blueberries, and honey – de-lish!

• Kellie June 16, 2011 at 7:54 am #

Thanks so much for the advice : )

• THolden June 16, 2011 at 9:35 am #

Karla, thanks for your input. A friend just told me yesterday about how the sweeteners can affect the culturing. So far I have not experienced this, but I do want to look into it more.

• THolden June 16, 2011 at 9:32 am #

Kellie, I’ve used all kinds of yogurt in a pinch. :) A nice quality, full-fat, organic plain would be ideal, I suppose, but I have had equal success with low fat flavored yogurt as well.

34. jess June 15, 2011 at 7:52 pm #

thanks for the tip about swirling instead of stirring in the starter…perhaps my yogurt will turn out thicker now.

35. Cori June 15, 2011 at 6:37 pm #

I love making my own yogurt as well. I keep mine in my oven with the light on the entire time and it works like a charm. Also, if you strain it in cheese cloth on a colander for a couple of hours after the incubation it will be Greek style yogurt. You can save the liquid whey you get to use in other recipes like pancakes.

• Karla June 16, 2011 at 4:27 am #

I do this all the time! If you read Sally Fallon’s “Nourishing Traditions,” you’ll find all sorts of recipes that include whey from the yogurt – pancakes, muffins, all manner of baked goods, soaking beans and grains, even fermenting vegetables (think pickles). I love Greek yogurt, and if strained long enough, it’s basically homemade cream cheese.

36. Laurie June 15, 2011 at 5:31 pm #

Thank you for the tips but because I use raw milk from my own cow, I would never heat my milk over 110 degrees or it defeats the purpose of the good enzymes in the raw milk.

Never use ULTRA PASTEURIZED milk, organic or not, because it is DEAD as far as living food benefits. UP milk doesn’t work and is NOT good for you.

Just my two cents….. :)

• Kilala June 16, 2011 at 8:25 am #

There is a different method for raw milk – you are supposed to heat it to the culturing temp (110 works).
      As for UP milk – occasionally some UP accidentally makes it home from the store and while it is nutritionally dead, in my experience it cultures up just fine. I’ve not had a problem with it. Not that I’d recommend it either though.

• Joanna June 16, 2011 at 9:50 am #

This is wonderful to know Kilala! I will be trying this on my next batch. It always bothered me that I was heating it to such a high temp and killing so much of the good stuff in my raw milk.

37. MleBlanche June 15, 2011 at 5:16 pm #

I have had so many flops with raw milk that I stopped, mostly because a lot of people say don’t heat it over 120 but I will try this way now, thanks.

Also as for keeping it warm a friend advised me to wrap my container(s) in towels and put it in the oven with the oven light on over night. I added to this pre heating it to its lowest setting and then turning it off before putting the yogurt in. Make sure no one turns off the oven light though!

38. Allison June 15, 2011 at 5:12 pm #

I was always pleased with my yogurt left to incubate in the oven w/ light on when I used processed store milk. My raw milk attempts, even with the initial heating, have been very inconsistent. Thankful for a new method to try!

• Allison July 12, 2011 at 8:32 am #

I have now used this method several times will great results. I too would love to make raw milk yogurt w/o heating so high but at least this works great and I know my milk is pastured. All previous attempts starting with raw milk turned out about 1/2 whey separated in the jars. Maybe my oven light was too hot being that I cultured in lit oven? Although it never bothered my yogurt from store brand milks. Thanks again.

39. Melissa June 15, 2011 at 4:50 pm #

Just so i’m with it…the starter is just some store bought yogurt?? Love your blogs!

• THolden June 16, 2011 at 9:38 am #

Yes, Melissa – I just use whatever storebough yogurt I can grab at the little local amish market – I never know what variety she’ll have, but they all seem to work! Then I save my own to use for several more batches until it seems ‘worn out’ and then i buy more.

40. Erin H. June 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

The milk you are using… is it just the organic 3.8 stuff you buy at the store? I can’t get whole milk were I am. Thanks for the post!

• THolden June 15, 2011 at 4:44 pm #

Erin, I use whole, raw milk, but you can use the 3.8 organic – try it with what you have!

41. Deb June 15, 2011 at 10:53 am #

My son was just asking me this morning about making our own yogurt! Can you tell me how long a batch of yogurt keeps in the fridge?

• THolden June 15, 2011 at 11:59 am #

Deb – it varies – usually two weeks. After it begins to sour, I still use it in baking, but I try to make a new batch every week or 10 days so my starter stays fresh.

42. Sheila June 15, 2011 at 10:05 am #

We’ve been making our own yogurt for a few years now, and it is SO yum!

43. Michelle June 15, 2011 at 8:41 am #

Karla, The way Sandor Katz tells you to keep the yogurt warm in his book, “Wild Fermentation” is to fill a cooler with boiling water while your yogurt is cooling. Then, you can fill jars with the water if you’re going to have space leftover after putting the yogurt jars in the cooler. Dump the rest of the water. Put the yogurt jars and water jars in the cooler. Stuff every little nook and cranny with towels, put the lid on and set it out of the way for the 8-12 hr. incubation period. I’ve done this 3 times and it works great.

• Stacey July 9, 2011 at 10:43 am #

I’ve used this method 3-4 times now and it works great–all my previous batched were fairly thin unless I strained them. Two thumbs up!

44. liz June 15, 2011 at 8:30 am #

i just do mine in the crockpot. it’s hit or miss

• Tammi June 18, 2011 at 10:59 am #

Liz,
      What is your crock pot method?

Thanks,
      Tammi

• Rebekah August 2, 2011 at 10:06 am #

I use the crockpot as well; first I heat the milk to 180 (takes me 2 1/2 hours on high). Then I shut off the crockpot, remove the insert to a trivet, crack the lid, and let it cool to 110 (about another 2 1/2 hours but your results may vary, so use a thermometer your first couple of times). Then I stir in the starter, wrap it up in a towel, and put it in an oven that has been heated to 350 and then turned off. I turn on the oven light and add several jars full of very hot water. 7 hours later, yogurt! :)

Personally, I like using the crockpot because then the milk won’t burn. Otherwise, I am such a birdbrain that I’d get scalded milk every time. :)

45. Kait Palmer June 15, 2011 at 7:19 am #

I’m with Karla–do you just let the water slowly cool to room temperature? I’ve made yogurt on a heating pad before, but have to set a timer every hour because of the auto-off. I forgot for too long last time and my yogurt was lumpy and thin…not the most appetizing, lol!

• THolden June 15, 2011 at 12:11 pm #

Kait, my method focuses on slowing the cooling off process, so by the time the yogurt is done, it is room temperature. You can try an insulated cooler, sink full of hot water – anything that will retain the heat of the yogurt as long as possible.

46. Amie June 15, 2011 at 5:53 am #

Does this method work with raw milk? If so, are there any additional steps or concerns?

• Lindsay June 15, 2011 at 6:18 am #

Yes, it certainly does. It functions in the same way. You can heat it up to a lower temperature to protect the raw milk properties…it has to be at least 110 degrees.

47. Samara Root June 15, 2011 at 5:50 am #

What starter do you start with? Or do you just keep a container of store-bought yogurt on hand?

• Nicole June 15, 2011 at 8:04 am #

I am wondering the same thing…can you just use store-bought yogurt to start? Thanks!

• THolden June 15, 2011 at 12:02 pm #

Yes, Samara – I start with a half cup of store bough yogurt, then use my own yogurt as starter for a month or two – depends on how many batches I make. I just buy a little pint of store-bought every few months.

48. Karla June 15, 2011 at 5:05 am #

I’ve wanted to make a larger batch of yogurt than what I get with my yogurt maker, and have attempted it without an appliance before, but felt like I had to babysit the jar(s) and keep adding hot water. How can you be sure you’re maintaining the proper temperature?

BTW, I’ve also made homemade buttermilk in a similar way, and you can just leave it out at room temperature.

• THolden June 15, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

Karla, I’ve found the yogurt incubates fine in a pot of hot water, or a cooler with towels – I don’t try to maintain the temperature, my method focuses on insulating the yogurt so that it comes down to room temperature very slowly.

49. Shannon Hazleton June 15, 2011 at 4:26 am #

Thanks for the tips… I’m always dissatisfied with my own attempts at yogurt, but I’ll try again! And I love the color of your kitchen. ;)

• THolden June 15, 2011 at 12:05 pm #

Thanks, Shannon. I do, too. :) I hope your next attempt is successful!