Frugal & Natural Pest Control: Fruit Flies & Ants Be Gone!

IMG_6140We have been attacked by an abundance of fruit flies lately in my kitchen. AHH! Don’t you love those little flying insects that seem to find every bit of food in your kitchen and around your trash can? Here is our simple, frugal, and effective solution!

Fruit Fly Trap

1 quart jar
1 piece of paper, rolled up into a funnel
tape
apple cider vinegar
small slice of banana

Fill a quart jar with a 1/2 inch of apple cider vinegar and a small piece of banana. Roll up your paper into a funnel shape (larger at the top) and tape it in place. Place the funnel into your jar and make sure all the edges are secured shut with tape. You may have to adjust the size of your funnel to make sure it fits nicely into your jar. Place the jar where the fruit flies are flying around and let it go to work. You will be amazed at how well this trap works. The fruit flies will smell the fruit and climb inside, but for some odd reason they don’t fly back up the funnel to get out. When you have caught a good supply, place the entire jar in the freezer. After a short time that flies with die and you can remove the jar from the freezer and use it again without even removing the old contents. Use repeatedly until your fruit flies are eliminated.

As you can see in my picture, this easy trap is amazingly effective!

Ant Trap

We are often plagued with ants in the Spring time as well around here. We have various sorts of carpenter and sugar ants. This little concoction does the trick! Last year we had huge carpenter ants all around our kitchen. Many were coming out of our electrical saukets in our kitchen. We were blown away by how quickly they were eradicated with this recipe.

1 tsp. borax (borax is an natural laundry boosting powder available in the laundry section of the store, normally on the top shelf)
2 cups hot water
6 Tbsp sugar
folded paper towel
small shallow cup (like a creme burlee dish)

Disolve borax in hot water. Stir in sugar. Dip the folded paper towel, using tongs, in the solution till completely saturated with solution. Cram the paper towel in the dish. Place in location where you have seen the ants. This solution will be eaten by the ants and taken back to the nest to share with the other ants and thus eradicate the entire nest. Keep away from children by placing on a countertop or cupboard, if possible.

It’s Frugal Fridays!

Lindsay Edmonds is first a lover of Jesus, wife, mother of four, homemaker, and writer. She loves inspiring women around the world toward simple, natural, and intentional living for the glory of God.

320 Responses to Frugal & Natural Pest Control: Fruit Flies & Ants Be Gone!

1. Delia August 28, 2012 at 3:26 pm #

I am getting to try this at home, just to be clear the piece of banana goes in the funnel, or at the bottom of the jar in the vinegar?

2. Maureen August 28, 2012 at 5:54 am #

Fruit fly trap really works, I have been doing it this way for years but I use the small cone shaped paper drinking cups-snip off the bottom-place over the top of a mason jar (fits perfectly)-use any kind of fruit-tape it on and wait….you will trap hundreds of the little pests :)

• Delia August 28, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

Did you put the piece of banana in the funnel or at the bottom of the jar in the vinegar?

3. Kara August 23, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

This may be a silly question, but what do you do with the jar of all the frozen dead fruit flies??

4. Janine August 22, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

Fruit flies live for up to 30 days unless it is under 60 or over 85 degrees F (this will shorten their lifespan). They lay eggs 500 to 600 at a time several times during their life and it takes about a week or two for the eggs to change first to maggots which feed on moist decaying / fermenting matter (fruit, vegetables, drains, wet mops, cracks in floor etc.) then pupae in a drier place (think caterpillar in a cocoon) then emerge full fledged reproducing fruit flies.
    (Boiling or very hot tap water or bleach down the drains daily will kill them there.) If going for a pesticide, a flea and tick spray that kills larvae will be the most effective and safe around animals (use one made for bedding or made to spray directly on animal as long as it kills larvae) use on walls behind appliances or anywhere you see them gather-this is really only for bad infestations. The best trap I have found to date is a glass of Harvey’s Bristol Cream Sherry-straight-caught hundreds in a couple of hours-the glass couldn’t fit any more or them after a couple of days; They just dove right in LOL!

5. Sarah August 22, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

Chalk works for our ants. We just draw a line along the place we see them to close off their access.

6. Tina August 16, 2012 at 12:50 am #

Just tried the fruit fly funnel contraption and it worked within seconds of putting it out. Wow! Thank you for the idea.

7. Sharon August 14, 2012 at 7:11 pm #

Hello! So I am going to try your fruit fly contraption because it seems to be working for people! I am wondering about one thing; does the bottom of the paper funnel (the smaller part that goes into the jar) go low enough to touch the vinegar at the bottom? THANK YOU!!!

• Janine August 22, 2012 at 9:10 pm #

No-it can’t touch the water or the fruit flies won’t be able to get in the trap.

8. Heidi Gail August 8, 2012 at 7:00 am #

If you have regular ant invasions at your house, you should have the termite man come out and check your house. Evidently ants love termites. We had regular ant invasions until we found and got rid of the termites about 5 years ago. Since then, we’ve only had one or two stray ants occasionally.

• janet harper August 14, 2012 at 9:07 am #

We have ants all throught the yard . I have found some of their hills and treated those, but I still find ants throughtout the yard. None in the house.

9. Debbie August 5, 2012 at 3:35 pm #

Stick bay leaves in cracks and crevices to deter cockroaches.

10. Carole July 23, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

I believe fruit flies/sewer gnats only have a 24 hour life span, just long enough to reproduce. Also, according to reports that I have read, they are unclean.

11. cassie July 23, 2012 at 4:26 am #

hang a zip lock bag full of water on your door. will keep flies away.

12. Denise July 20, 2012 at 7:19 pm #

I had ants a few years ago and I was told to dry used coffee grounds and then sprinkle them in the house along the places you see them come into the house. It worked like a charm! Sometimes when vaccuuming I would get disgusted with the grinds on the floor and vaccuum them up. Half an hour later there would be ants all over the floor. I learned to live with the grinds on the floor! It was cheap and didn’t harm my cat or my kids.

13. Mary Kay July 20, 2012 at 8:10 am #

Diatomaceous earth can be used to keep ants at bay. Purchase the food grade and it is safe around animals. Feed stores carry.

14. Lrussell July 15, 2012 at 10:42 am #

To get rid of moths, make up a container with water and dish detergent, stir it up to create suds. You have to have the suds on the top.

Moth are attracted to a light, so set the bowl under a lamp, within about 12 inches of the light source. The moths zipping around the light will try to land on the suds or will fly into them. Once they get wet, they can’t fly and will drown in the water.

I didn’t have very many moths this year, so I just sat the bowl on my stovetop (burners off of course) and turned on the stove light that is under my over the stove microwave. Worked quite well.

15. Chris July 14, 2012 at 12:12 pm #

Does anyone know how to get rid of pincher bugs? :P They are AWFUL around my house!

• PC Rei August 6, 2012 at 6:47 am #

You do know that the “pincher bug” or aka earwig is actually beneficial? They love to eat snail and slug eggs! Alas, they also eat your flower buds when the snail eggs are in short supply… So get a chicken, thy love ‘em! Or place a loosely rolled-up newspaper on the ground, and every morning tip it on end and shake the critters into a bucket of soapy water where they will drown. Alternately, place some tuna juice, tuna cat food, or some apple cider vinegar for bait in a small tin can or other container with a removable lid. Punch a few small holes in the lid, large enough for earwigs to enter. Bury it in the ground almost level with the soil. The earwigs crawl into the can and can’t get out.

• PC Rei August 6, 2012 at 7:01 am #

I just realized that the return of snails in my yard coordinated with my elimination of the earwigs!!! Can I order some from you-all please?

16. Shelley July 10, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

Why is no one feeling sorry for the roaches and wanting to releaset them back in to nature? They are God’s creatures too!! :)

• Kloklo July 12, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

REALLY?

• Linda G July 23, 2012 at 10:31 am #

Then they need to stay outside where they belong. lol

• MB August 15, 2012 at 9:01 pm #

Roaches are disgusting. If you live in the south then you will know how awful they are! They are so creepy. Id rather have 10 spiders crawl on me than to have 1 roach on me!! LOL

• Brittany August 29, 2012 at 8:30 am #

Ew! No kill them they are covered in bacteria and germs. And if they got into your house in the first place they clearly know how to get back in.

17. Kirsten July 8, 2012 at 8:39 am #

It works! Didn’t use vinegar at all – just a slice of banana at the bottom and it caught tons! Only problem is it’s so hot the tape peeled back a bit and left an opening for some to get out… I’m trying it now with packing tape (instead of masking tape) and it seems to be doing a-okay!

18. dani June 12, 2012 at 2:56 am #

you mean it actually kills the ants? we have loads of ants in our kitchen at the moment, but i wouldn’t want to kill these hard-working, self-sacrificing little creatures. yes, they’re “only” ants, but they are fascinating creatures (read up on them once) of god, don’t do us any harm, are important for our planet and – get positively mentioned in the bible!
    any other ways of driving them out of the house would be appreciated:-)

• Aimee J June 23, 2012 at 5:49 pm #

We tried spreading cinnamon where we saw the ants coming into the house. Unfortunately we later realized that they were also coming in through a crack in the foundation so we had to spray an insect repellant along the exterior of our home because we couldn’t get them to leave. If, however, you have a single entry point cinnamon will deter them from coming in and won’t kill them.

• laura June 28, 2012 at 3:24 am #

I grabbed a bunch of bottles of cinnamon from the dollar store, sprinkled it into the dirt around the entire house, put on threshholds and haven’t seen one in the house in years! Cinnamon ROCKS…..also fire ants hate it, so I used it in the garden!

• Antkiller July 1, 2012 at 6:02 am #

I use the harshest chemicals known to kill entire nests. But I am an exterminator. Next time I will suggest a dash of cinnamon, lol.

• Maria July 9, 2012 at 3:28 pm #

Cinnamon works WONDERS for ants. You can also place cinnamon sticks strategically (I use them when I have to leave cat food outside for my outdoor cat). Works like a charm!

• lori August 22, 2012 at 1:49 pm #

I agree. I always use harsh chemicals. I hate bugs. As an exterminator do you have any advice on how to get rid of wood bees?

• PC Rei August 6, 2012 at 6:49 am #

It doesn’t kill them, just repels them. That oughta make you happy~

19. Stephanie June 10, 2012 at 8:05 pm #

The fruit fly trap works even with vinegar I sliced a cherry up and they still fly in genious! thank you sooo much!

20. ruth June 10, 2012 at 7:47 pm #

i used the same ingredients but took a plastic water bottle, cut about 4″ from the top, put the vinegar and banana slices in the bottom. then inverted the top into the lower portion, the flies get in but, as mentioned, can’t find their way back out.

21. Valerie June 3, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

Would either of these work for spiders?

• Robin July 3, 2012 at 9:15 pm #

are you smoking something funny Valerie?

• Valerie July 3, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

really?
        spiders do not come around for the same reasons that ants and fruit flies do.

• PC Rei August 6, 2012 at 6:50 am #

Nope :( Spray them with hairspray

22. DIYLover May 31, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

Fantastic! Simple yet effective.

23. cathe May 31, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

For ants in my kitchen I sprinkled talcum powder (like Shower to Shower) up against all the baseboads…it seemed to work overnight ! Previously, I would kill them and scrub the floor and baseboards and the next day they were back. This worked like magic! It was wonderful and I didn’t have to worry about pets.

24. McKenna May 30, 2012 at 7:12 pm #

Thank you for writing this post! We just moved somewhere where there are just TONS of fruit flies and we never seem to get rid of them! Can’t wait to show this post to my mom!

• Alice Andrews June 7, 2012 at 3:20 pm #

I am not quite clear on the directions for the gnat trap. Does “make sure all the edges are secured shut with tape” mean the edges of the funnel or make sure that there is no gap between the paper and the jar? Also how far down does the funnel go? Does it touch the vinegar, stop just above it? I have an ongoing supply of gnats and I would love to try this>
      Thanks.

• Karen July 17, 2012 at 5:47 am #

Make sure there is not gap between the paper and the jar. Tape the paper funnel to the jar. You sort of have to adjust the funnel before you decide how big to make the funnel. It has to fit the jar without touching the vinegar, small enough hole for the gnats to go in but the tape keeps them from coming out.

25. diane May 30, 2012 at 7:09 pm #

Peanut butter, equal sweetener, and honey mixture will kill ants also. I put the mixture in milk caps and set them inside and outside at ant hills. Won’t hurt kids or your pets!

26. Aidy May 29, 2012 at 8:34 am #

Thanks so much! This is bound to be useful in the future if I ever have any sort of bug trouble!

27. odette May 20, 2012 at 4:12 am #

Why kill the fruitflies in the freezer, why not take them somewhere else in nature and let them continue to live?

• bhcrabill May 20, 2012 at 6:15 am #

Why in the world would you feel the need to release fruit flies into the wild? It’s not like there isn’t billions of them.

• Chrissy June 5, 2012 at 6:57 am #

lol…so true!

• bobbi June 11, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

i guess you could say the same for people.

• jennifer July 7, 2012 at 2:01 am #

Valid point.

28. jeannie May 14, 2012 at 9:02 am #

do you know if this would work for cockroaches?

• Jos May 17, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

i wondered the same thing and did some quick research:

use Boric Acid mixed with a little sugar…they will come to the mix take it with them and die and they will also take it to the others and they will die too, just put in a jar lid and place in corners preferably where they are entering if not just find some corners along the baseboard in kitchen this is the place where roaches usually hang out because of the food around, place in the back of cupboards as well, just becareful not to put this stuff where it is accessible to pets and small children, also place around usually behind ovens if you can, they go here too. Replenish this mixture from time to time when you notice the amount getting smaller. How this works is that Boric acid causes roaches to dehydrate and die.

havn’t tried it yet but the person who posted it said it works everytime, so it’s worth a shot!

• paula June 14, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

I do know that if you put solo cups out with peanut butter in them, or the solo bowls it will catch roaches………they seem to love peanut butter, and once they climb into the plastic cup or bowl they can’t seem to crawl back out.

• Midgette June 25, 2012 at 2:36 am #

Also old bacon grease will do it to.

29. Becky May 10, 2012 at 4:12 am #

I have tried the fruit fly trap and it works well! I have also used apple cider vinegar in a shallow dish covered by plastic wrap with small holes in it (small enough for fruit flies to crawl through but not big enough for them to fly out)

30. Sandra Highfield May 8, 2012 at 11:05 am #

Do you have any ideas for DIY termite control. My house if fairly new (6 yrs old) but, I need to take measures as I live in an area with lots of pine trees. Do you have any suggestions. Thanks

31. Amber Prestriedge May 7, 2012 at 6:32 pm #

I always get rid of ants buy sprinkling cream of wheat where they travel, the back of cabinets and on the ant beds outside.. It takes a few days but they love it but cant digest it and they explode.. We do this a few times every year. we never have a problem with ants. we have a lot of children and pets here so I wanted to use something that I didnt have to really worry to much about with them.

• OTTO July 4, 2012 at 12:09 pm #

Then you get flour weevils and moths that DO eat it

32. Conni April 15, 2012 at 6:55 pm #

I check to see where they are resting and sneak up on them with the vacuum cleaner … works like a charm and makes me feel somewhat Star War like!

• Evelyn June 21, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

One year my husband went out with his shop vac and was sucking the Japanese beetles out of the air around our blackberry bushes. Comical except when I saw how many he caught.

33. Tracy April 15, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

Fruit flies are the worst. anxious to try this fix but i got rid of the fruit this morning and thinking they were the source of the problem! Can I just use the apple cider vinegar?

• Erika D. May 24, 2012 at 6:26 am #

Probably. I had a glass of wine out on the counter the other day and all the fruit flies drowned in it. Perhaps the apple cider vinegar would work the same?

• Bonnie June 10, 2012 at 9:19 am #

i use red wine and a slice of apple which was very ripe and i put it in a used water bottle with a small funnel made from a small note pad……works very well !!

34. Hollie April 3, 2012 at 9:36 am #

Well the fruit fly trap didn’t work for me. I followed it to a “T”. Maybe my fruit flies have been around so long (a few weeks – I loathe them!!!) that their brains have evolved and they’re too smart to fall for a clever trick like this. Just my luck….

• Kelley April 15, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

Hollie, try this. It’s a simpler solution than the one above.

Take a small container, about the size of a ramekin or small juice glass, fill it about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar (or whatever vinegar you have on hand) and mix in a few drops of dish washing liquid soap, then set it an out of the way spot on your counter or near your trash can (set up one container in each spot if you think it’s necessary).

The fruit flies will be attracted to the vinegar and the added soap actually traps them and drowns them. When it fills with dead fruit flies, rinse out the container and refill it with the vinegar and soap mixture again.

My family has been doing this for years and it’s been very effective, it’s not going to be fast, but it does work. If it doesn’t, then it may not be fruit flies you’re dealing with.

• Janice April 20, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

If you have a ton of them and company or something coming over, take your hairdryer out and suck them in through the air-intake side. They get fried up real quick (and it is quite satisfying as the same time)

• Ariel June 10, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

Bet that smells awesome…

• Kerri June 12, 2012 at 3:39 am #

then wouldn’t you have dead flies in your hair dryer? ew

• Ro May 7, 2012 at 11:53 am #

I use this trick at work and home! I just use clear plastic wrap with
      small V’s cut in it instead of paper funnel. The flies may circle the inside
      Of the jar but can’t seem to find the v’s punched in the plastic in order
      To escape! If they are taking over the kitchen I will use more DRASTIC
      Measures. Empty trash each night before bed, clean the sink drains and
      Spray with dish soap or disinfectant each night (they mate and nest in wet
      Garbage and sink drains). Do this for about five nights and they should be
      Gone! Do not leave fruit or veggies on counter!

35. Brittney April 3, 2012 at 8:01 am #

Hello, I see that you published this post in 09! But I was hoping to ask a question about the ant trap. How long does it typically take to kill the ants? I followed the instructions and I have hundreds of ants coming in to all of the ant traps in my home. I’m just hoping that it eventually kills them and doesn’t just provide a food source. How often do I need to change out the solution? Any help is appreciated! I feel like we are infested with ants and when I called around to pest control places none of them can guarantee that the ants won’t come back unless I spray EVERY month. It’s expensive and I don’t want the chemicals sprayed for my family to ingest every month. Thanks in advance!

• Lindsay April 3, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

For us, it typically killed them off within a few weeks. You have to let them eat it and being back to the queen in order to kill them all. We experienced an annual uprising but this method always killed them off.

• veronica April 12, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

My neighbor gave me a recipe for keeping ants at bay from the outside of the house. 1 part Borax to 1 part powdered sugar. mix together..place in container or ziploc bag to store. Place a line of this around the outside of your house, all the way around…on a sunny day..rain ofcourse will diminish the affects. The ants are attracted to it because of the sweetness of the sugar but they also take the borax back to the colony and it will kill off the entire colony. during the spring we have to replace it more often because of the rainy season but, it works and is cheaper than having pest control come spray. hope this helps.

• Janine May 4, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

Brittney,

I had a terrible problem with ants of all different types and sizes at a previous residence: They were running over my bare feet when I sat at the computer in my bedroom. I used a very similar recipe to the one above (apparently the ratio of sugar to borax is important):

In glass jar mix:
      2 Tablespoons borax
      2 teaspoons sugar
      1 cup very hot or boiling water

Stir mixture until dissolved. Stuff as many cotton balls as will absorb the liquid. Place a treated cotton ball on each side of every window and door frame around your dwelling. (The outside sill works well.) Also any other opening you can think of such as pipes etc…I also took a walk around outside the perimeter of house and noticed many holes about 1/8″ to 3/16″ in diameter in the sand and gravel part of the driveway with ants scurrying in and out, so I placed some cotton balls there as well. *Note please you do not want to place these in the garden as ants are helpers there; it is just the nests that have become a nuisance to the house you want to target.

Within a few days I only had a few ants coming in the house; after a week there were none. I have made up a jar of this and passed it on to other people who have had persistent problems with ants and it worked just as well for them.

THIS WILL KILL COLD BLOODED ANIMALS AND INSECTS–KEEP AWAY FROM PET REPTILES, AQUARIUMS, ETC. *Also keep away from children or warm blooded pets as they may get sick if they eat a significant amount.

36. Jen March 31, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

This is awesome! I have a similar solution for snails: Put a few shallow and wide cups of beer outside in your garden in the evening. The next morning, they will be filled with drowned snails who got to have one last hurrah before expiring.

• Ju June 23, 2012 at 1:38 pm #

I use seaweed to place around my plants snails won’t get near the plants and it nourishes the soil.

• PC Rei August 6, 2012 at 7:44 am #

Be sure to wash the seaweed before applying to your garden to remove salt

• Rainy August 5, 2012 at 3:42 pm #

Would this also work for slugs? If not does anyone have an idea of how to get rid of them before they consume my lettuce garden?

• PC Rei August 6, 2012 at 7:47 am #

Diatomaceous earth or crushed egg shells will prevent snail and slug incursions. Also a strip of copper on the perimeter of your garden bed. Or get a duck, they love the things!

• PC Rei August 6, 2012 at 7:57 am #

A board trap works well. Place it such that the snails or slugs can get under it to sleep during the day. Tip it over in the morning and flick the slugs into soapy water.
          I keep black plastic leaf bags on top of my compost bins. I go out every morning and find slugs on the underside of it, imported from the garden on plant litter. I flick them into a small bucket with 3-4 Tbsp vinegar. When they succumb, I dump the bucket contents back into the compost bin! Recycling to the max…!

My MIL used to have a banana slug problem big time. She just poured table salt on them. They would foam up and actually slide out from under the salty slime. Then she would salt them again, and that usually did the trick. Not at all good for the garden soil, however….

• PC Rei August 6, 2012 at 7:58 am #

I’ve read that the more hops used in the beer-making the more attractive to snails

37. Josie March 28, 2012 at 7:25 pm #

For the fruit fly trap (boy am I excited I found this by the way!) do I have to use apple cider vinegar? I only have balsamic in the house and the flies are making my kitchen look like something out of a horror movie, can I use the balsamic instead? Please say yes!

38. Emmes March 28, 2012 at 5:42 pm #

I tried the ant trap and the containers are still sitting on my counter. I haven’t seen ants in the traps, but then again .. I haven’t seen ants period. lol I had to put them on the counter as I have doxie dogs who are nosey and get into everything.

My ant troubles started when they would invade my dogs’ food bowl. YUK! Thousands of them. I finally moved the dog bowl and had put the dish in a pan of water to keep the ants out. Then I found that by folding a plastic bag in half and setting the dog dish on top .. the ants stay out of the dog food!

Thanks for the ant trap recipe! It works wonders!!

39. Rhonda March 27, 2012 at 11:43 am #

i just tried the Fruit Fly trap, and omg this totally works! I didn’t have any banana’s on hand as I just threw them out becasue they were too mushy, hence why I had all the fruit flies! So I used a strawberry that I split in the middle and that did the trick! My paper funnel had too large of a mouth so some of the flies were coming back out, but once I saw I had collected most of them, I put an empty bread wrapper over the top (in case any were to escape) and stuck it in the freezer like you said. Frozen, dead fruit flies! Woohoo! Thank you sooo much!

• Deb June 8, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

Don’t throw mushy bananas out. Use them to make banana cake! http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/5974/banana-cake.aspx

• PC Rei August 6, 2012 at 8:01 am #

Mash up your mushy bananas and feed your staghorn ferns

• PC Rei August 6, 2012 at 8:00 am #

Then you tossed them in the compost bin, right?

40. Heather March 26, 2012 at 5:02 am #

These are great! Do you have anything for moths?????

41. Parmela March 16, 2012 at 1:37 pm #

I’ll try anything. It’s spring and I can see them coming out of my wall electrical sockets too. Is there a perminate solution? anyone?

42. Jessica March 14, 2012 at 9:50 am #

You can also put the vinegar into a bottle and cover with scran wrap then poke small holes 5 or 6 in the top. The fruit flies will find their way in but can’ get back out

43. Frances March 13, 2012 at 8:00 pm #

I have problems with sugar ants, they last for months. We got a cat last year and the ants crawl all over her dry food and the wet (because she doesn’t finish all at once). my question is, is there a way to get rid of the ants with out using the Borax. I don’t want to kill the cat! just the ants.

44. Brook March 12, 2012 at 9:52 am #

Just ran to Target to get Borax. Ants be gone!! I can’t wait to see how quickly this will work

45. Robert March 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

its a trap! ;)

46. Shawna March 4, 2012 at 9:27 am #

Great ideas. Thanks!

47. Lucy February 9, 2012 at 6:32 am #

I have always put a big ziplock bag with a banana peel in it. The fruit flies will get into the bag. Leave it a few days and then just quickly zip the bag and throw away.

48. Kellie February 1, 2012 at 8:21 am #

Okay, so should the bottom of the funnel be above the apple cidar, or touching the cidar?

• Lindsay February 2, 2012 at 4:29 pm #

It should be above the cider.

49. Cheryl B. January 19, 2012 at 5:59 am #

LOVE the fruit fly trap idea!!!! You are right, they just suddenly appear out of no where – in mass. 8-/ Definitely going to be trying this! THANKS for sharing it!

50. Sus September 30, 2011 at 1:15 am #

I’m so glad to find this! I’ve been having a heck of a time finding something that would work and yet not be too tempting for my kids to mess with. voila! Just make my jar, can’t wait to watch it work! I didn’t have banana, so I used a slice of over ripe tomato and added some sugar as well.