Homemade Natural Deodorant

For the updated version of this recipe, FAQ, along with demonstration video, please click here.

Did you know you can make your own wonderful deodorant with just a few completely natural ingredients? This recipe is awesome! It is frugal and very effective! Aaron & I have been using it for over a year now, and it has worked wonders. It smells wonderful, but very faint, so the hubby does not mind! We have tried all natural brands without much success, until we tried this! It is especially important for women to take thought to the harmful aluminum materials in deodorant as it has been linked to breast cancer, being that the armpits are so close to the chest.

Ingredients:

5-6 Tbsp Coconut oil
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch

Combine equal portions of baking soda & arrowroot powder. Then slowly add coconut oil and work it in with a spoon until it maintains the substance you desire. It should be about the same texture as the store bought kind, solid but able to be applied easily. You can either scoop this into your old dispensers or place in a small container with lid and apply with fingers with each use. After applying the product, you can just rub the remains into your hands as a lotion! This recipe lasts about 3 months for two people with regular daily use.

Read here and here for more wonderful uses of coconut oil!

For the best price around on organic quality coconut oil, check out Mountain Rose Herbs. Delicious for so many uses!

Bulk organic herbs, spices and essential oils. Sin

Lindsay Edmonds is first a lover of Jesus, wife, mother of four, homemaker, and writer. She loves inspiring women around the world toward simple, natural, and intentional living for the glory of God.

457 Responses to Homemade Natural Deodorant

1. Kristy February 26, 2013 at 8:44 am #

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this!!! I make it just as you have and it works beautifully!!! I add 10 drops of tea tree and lavender oil. I just made batch for my 9 yo son because he asked for it. He’s starting to notice that he’s changing. I made his with 4 drops of lemon oil (no lavender for boys because it can interfere with hormones).

• Cheri March 17, 2013 at 5:33 am #

I have not heard that about lavender and hormones. Can you give me a link to that info or just more information. The reason I ask is because lavender is helping several ADHD kids that I know.

• Petra250 March 17, 2013 at 4:58 pm #

Kristy, can you please tell me how you make it? I can’t use coconut because it clogs my pores. So if you’re using something else it would be nice to know.

• Kristy March 17, 2013 at 5:28 pm #

I’ve been using the coconut oil recipe that she has here. I’ve seen some references in the comments of others who can’t use coconut oil. They seem to be using cocoa butter or shea butter or aloe butter. Maybe try that?

• Petra250 March 17, 2013 at 5:56 pm #

Ah, great. Will try it. Thanks

2. Malorye December 21, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

I have been using this for 2 years, and it has never failed me. I also developed a rash in the beginning, but mine was from the baking soda it is just too harsh for my sensitive skin. I changed up the recipe a bit using 2 tablespoons Baking soda, 4 Tablespoons Arrowroot, and 8 tablespoons Coconut oil. Fantastic, works like a charm :)

• Jenna January 9, 2013 at 11:47 am #

Thanks for the suggestion~ I made it this past summer and had no problems but the second batch I made has given me a rash under my arms. I have been searching to find something that might help. Plan on trying this out today!

3. Panda November 22, 2012 at 12:27 am #

I happen to have all that stuff:) I know what I’m doing

4. Angela November 6, 2012 at 8:26 pm #

I saw this recipe two weeks ago so I gave it a try and I LOVE it! I got a rash for the first three days but after that I was good to go. I just spent the last two weeks traveling in airports and taxis but it held up great.

5. Lee October 24, 2012 at 1:08 am #

Hi all, I have been using this recipe for nearly 11 months now. For the first 7 months I suffered on and off with a raw, painful rash, plus occasional swollen lymph nodes in my armpits. That really hurt.

One day I looked closer at my box of cornflour and realised it was WHEATEN ‘cornflour’. Duh. I switched it out for arrowroot powder and ever since it is like applying a balm! Feels comfortable and soothing.

I sweat quite a bit less than I did when using heavy duty commercial deods,and the smell is more earthy/less pungent. In hot weather I usually reapply mid-afternoon to remain sweet-smelling.

I now add raw cacao butter, lavender, lime and tea tree oil to my coconut oil, bicarb soda and arrowroot. I never measure anything, it just seems to work out right.

6. Hannah October 22, 2012 at 8:05 am #

I also had a rash and scaly pits at first and stunk! I realized that I had been rubbing an abrasive mixture onto a sensitive area, causing the pain. My solution is to use a bit of aloe vera under my arms and let it dry just a bit… Until it feels a bit sticky. Then, I gently pat a teensy bit of baking soda there and let it dry. I do not stink, do not have any more rashes, and do not have any deodorant prepping because I use plain baking soda. You can skip the a.v. and just use water, too.

7. Rach September 1, 2012 at 9:00 am #

i am currently using for my daughter 1/4 cup corn starch, 1/4 cup baking soda, and eucalyptus oil. My daughter is allergic to A LOT of things–no rash yet. The Eucalyptus oil was recommended for its antibacterial properties. It seems to work great for her. Any essential oil can create a burning effect or a rash. With my daughter, I would skip the arrow root–too many extra thing to which to get allergic. Going to try this as it should be easier for her to apply! :)

8. Jamasina August 3, 2012 at 12:33 am #

Looking forward to trying this!

9. Chanelle August 2, 2012 at 9:58 pm #

Would this recipe still be effective if I used arrowroot powder in the place of baking soda? I’m making another batch and I plan to use arrowroot powder instead of cornstarch to see if that is the problem with the burning and the rash on my armpits. I also plan to use 3 tablespoons of baking soda and add 1/4 cup of shea butter to see if this helps.

10. A. States July 29, 2012 at 4:50 pm #

I made this for my husband but used more cornstarch than baking soda. I also added some shea butter, tea tree oil and a vitamin E blend. It seems to work fine for him and he hasn’t developed a rash. It does, however, leave an oily “stain” on his dress shirts, which makes him look like he has sweaty underarms. The stains do come out in the wash. Any suggestions to reduce the staining?

• Risusan October 27, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

Yes. Just dissolve some salt into water until you can’t see the grains anymore (after a letting it settle for about twenty minutes). Then put it in an old spray bottle; perfume or other and apply. Hold your arms in a T and do the oggie-boogie a little bit until it dries. The downside is that saltwater isn’t super powerful and you will stink a little bit for a while until the colony of bacteria under your armpits has been repressed and if you are a particuarily sweaty person or are working out you will probably want to consider something else. But for fancy dress occasions, where you won’t be sweating a lot, this could be a suitable alternative. Though it does sting a little bit if you apply it right after shaving.

11. Jack June 24, 2012 at 3:46 am #

If the rash really was a detox reaction, then people who stop using deodorant altogether would be getting the same rash. It’s obviously something in the recipe causing the rash. I would think it’s the baking soda since it’s a salt and and that’s a pretty abrasive compound.

12. LT June 20, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

I use a homemade deodorant (oil, cornstarch, baking soda) during cool months and Summer weekends when I usually alone. During Summer months out in public I use the roll-on Crystal Body Deodorant once a day and sprinkle underarms with fragranced Corn Starch Baby Powder while underarms are still moist from the Crystal. In the past I used the salt block type but it started irritating my skin. Also, I use an electric razor to shave under my arms and try to avoid any deodorant for twelve hours after shaving. I am in my 50s and have lots of friends diagnosed with cancer. I keep scented store-bought deodorant in my luggage and may use it ten days a year.

13. Karen June 18, 2012 at 9:16 am #

Note: Use ALUMINUM-FREE baking soda and powder …. I’ve discovered they’re not all created equally.

• Staci July 14, 2013 at 5:48 am #

How can you tell if it’s Aluminum-free? The box just says sodium bicarbonate USP #1 under ingredients.

14. LaToya June 9, 2012 at 2:39 pm #

I had a rash using a similar recipe. Try this:
    1 tbs cornstarch
    1 tbs baking soda
    1.5 table spoon shea butter
    melt together in microwave. add few drops of lavender oil.
    Let harden and its ready to use. :)

15. Dana R. June 8, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

Hello everyone. A tip I read in a modeling book is to buy dress guards if you sweat A LOT like I do. I have not gone dress guard hunting, but I think those thin lightdays pantyliners should do just fine. I haven’t tried this yet, but when I do, I’ll make sure to post the results!

16. Michelle May 24, 2012 at 10:51 am #

I stopped using this as it’s now summer here and i need something stronger so i went back to aerosol, It was great for the first few weeks, but now i have the same rash i got when using the baking soda mix….i just don’t understand it! I’ve never had it before with general aerosol deodorants :(

17. AnnaMichelle May 21, 2012 at 12:44 pm #

I tried the original recipe using arrowroot powder. I love the fresh smell (though I’d love to add an essential oil to it) and it seemed to work well as far as keeping me smelling fine. However, after day 1 I ended up with a very bad red rash that was painfully itchy (seemed to get worse at bedtime…not quite sure why). I had heard that maybe the rashes and other such problems could be from detoxing, so I decided to continue using it for 2 weeks. If the rash wasn’t gone by then (or at least obviously improving) I would discontinue.

Well, by the end of 2 weeks, it had only gotten worse. I tried not using anything for a couple of days, but boy, I stank like crazy! (I always thought the store bought deodorants never really did anything for me for odor because I could never “smell” the deodorant. Well, apparently they did more for me than I thought because without anything, you can definitely smell ME.)

I have gone back to using the store bought stuff, only because I can’t go on stinking that way, and my armpits have always been very sensitive (I can’t even wear long sleeve shirts during the winter because of how sensitive they are) so dealing with the rash for 2 weeks took a lot of willpower. (I’m also pregnant right now, and very uncomfortable, so the extra rash wasn’t helping anything.) The rash is not gone, but is getting better, and is no where near as itchy as it was.

I’d still like to use a natural deodorant, but I’m wondering how to tweak the recipe. I have made the lotion/diaper cream recipe, and I love it, and use it on my hands all the time without a single problem. So apparently, by process of elimination, it must be the baking soda that I’m having a hard time with. (This is weird since I eat it in baked foods and have never had a problem.)

So, I may try what Jane mentioned…reducing the ratio between baking soda and arrowroot powder, and see if that works. I also thought about adding either lavender oil (since that is good for the skin) or tea tree oil, or maybe both. I may also try Vasilisa’s recipe. I didn’t like having to apply the original recipe with my fingers even though I had put it in an old deodorant container…it would clump off and not rub on when trying to apply it with the stick, but would melt when I’d scrape some off with my fingers. I’m also wondering if I was applying too much due to having to do it with my fingers.

How long did the rash last for those of you who had it? I’d like a realistic time period to expect. Hopefully I can try this again and have it work. If any of you have any other ideas, I’d love to hear them!

• Downtown Dirt May 24, 2012 at 10:47 am #

I’ve just finished using a similar recipe on my under arms. I smelled like the devil for the first little bit which was discouraging since I work at the reception desk at a radio station. But I persevered and eventually there was no more BO. And I was a smelly kid before. Now there isn’t even a trace of BO on my shirts even after I’ve worn them a few times. And no pit stains. I used a combination of Lavender and Tea Tree oils for their antiseptic and healing properties, and Lavender is by far my favourite oil.

• Downtown Dirt May 24, 2012 at 10:49 am #

Oh right, and when I got more to the end of my batch, I noticed a rash under one arm. I’m figuring its the baking soda too, but I also melted my last batch instead of just blending it all together. I’m thinking the baking soda didn’t blend in well and fell to the bottom. I’m heading out right now to get some arrowroot and try this bad boy again!

• Kellie May 24, 2012 at 5:36 pm #

Hi Michelle and AnnaMichelle,

I wanted to tell you that the problem with the rash is not from detoxing it is from the bakingsoda which does a great job with keep the odor down but is an irratant to your skin in different amounts. The recipe above is great and will work for anyone however you have sensitive pits like myself and you have to use less cornstarch or you can use in its substitution with 4 tsp or clay (bentonite or other) wil do fine and to make the deodorant a bit more solid try adding about 1 table spoon of shea butter which also helps to heal the skin, with 1-1/2 teaspoon of grated beeswax or beeswax beads to the above recipe and you will have a great combination the works and will not cause a rash.

I hope this helps anyone who has been getting the rash under their arms. I know it hurts because I have experienced it first hand and so has one of my children. This will clear up. For me going back to regular store brought with the aluminum will never be an option. Good Luck Ladies.

P.S. you have to melt the beeswax and shea butter Let cool and then add the other ingredients stir with a wisk and put into what ever container you desire.

• Michelle May 24, 2012 at 10:51 pm #

Hi Kellie, I don’t think you read my post correctly. I haven’t been using this stuff for about 2 months.

• Madinahrose June 21, 2012 at 1:52 am #

Sounds like your skin is very sensitive. Be careful using essential oils. I took a kit of essential oils with me on a trip to Asia, since I did not have the time to get all of my shots.
      One of oils I took was lavender because it had so many good properties as well as being mild enough to use on a baby’s skin without being diluted. Apparently I used too much and after giving hand massages to several of my companions, I had a horrible rash that lasted for weeks. My hands past my wrists turned very dark and scaley, I could not go out anywhere and it was very difficult to put my hands into water. To this day, years later, I cannot get even a drop of lavender on my skin without an allergic reaction.
      Just a word of caution. Always dilute your essential oils in a carrier oil.

• abbeu July 1, 2012 at 9:37 am #

Try eliminating the baking soda, and supplement w/ the corn starch

• Amanda July 29, 2012 at 4:36 am #

Hi! I was just reading through replies to see if anyone else had developed a rash or red bumps in their armpits because the second time I made this recipe my husband developed lots of red bumps in his armpits. I think the culprit is the arrowroot powder for some reason. The first time I made it, I made it with corn starch and my husband used the whole thing without developing any sort of rash. Not positive that is the reason for the rash, but it is the only thing I did differently the second time. Just thought I’d share :)

18. dhang May 9, 2012 at 5:06 am #

if you have break outs or rashes in using the mixture.
    you may lessen the amount of baking soda. or do not rub tightly on your skin.

you may also try this mixture

Olive oil 1tb
    Baking Soda 1 tb
    Tea tree and lavender oil 6-10 drops

I just loved the smell of my armpit, Lavender! =)

You may also want to rub organic apple cider vinegar at night. this acts as deodorant too and may help whiten underarms.

i am using the vinegar for quite sometime now. I even tried not to take a bath for 1day, No Underam Smell at all!

19. Essie May 8, 2012 at 9:39 am #

Can anyone help with this? I tried this deodorant today for the first time – and so far no smell which is great – but I looked in the mirror and I have large “pit stains” on my gray t-shit. Although it’s not from sweat b/c I haven’t experienced that at all today – it’s from the oil in the deodorant. Did I put too much on? I put maybe 3 swipes. Or is that to be expected?

• dhang May 9, 2012 at 4:53 am #

its also my problem .
      my clothes have stains too but they will disappear once washed. But its embarrassing to raise your hand, because they may see the large stain in your shirt.
      ANy help?
      and, at the end of the day, it smells like pure Baking soda with sweat. its not bad but it would be better if the nice smell from the oil remains all day.

ANy oil that can i add to the mixture which lasts the whole day??

20. ScrimplyThrifty May 2, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

I did try this using the cornstarch. Though I have been “alluminum antipersperant/deoderant” free for a few years now, this is much easier than what I had been doing. I used to use a cheap aluminum free roll on and then pat on a mixture of equal parts of corn starch and baking soda with a make-up pouf. It worked, but not great. I heard coconut oil worked as a deoderant so one day I tried it and it worked pretty well, so I started looking for a recipe for deoderant using coconut oil.

I used this basic recipe but I did change things up a bit. I used equal parts of baking soda, corn starch, and coconut oil. I also added some bees wax in hopes of being able to put it in an old deoderant container and use it that way. I also used some lavender oil to make it more scented. The deoderant container idea didn’t work as well as I’d liked. It just came off more in clumps than spreading evenly and I ended up rubbing it in with my fingers anyway, so now I just use a dab from a jar and rub it in. Also, the lavender oil wasn’t the best scent to go with the scent in the coconut oil. It’s tolerable but I wouldn’t do it again. Maybe next time I will try using a citrus and a little tea tree oil.

I have also read that cocoa butter will make it harder and was thinking it might make the deoderant tube idea work, so next time I might do half coconut oil and half cocoa butter to see how well it works. I also plan on using arrow root powder rather than corn starch, and using less baking soda. The baking soda doesen’t irritate me much, but it does feel somewhat like rubbing salt on your skin when you are putting it on. For me this will keep any type of BO away from one shower to the next (I usually shower every day though), even in high sweat situations. It also seems to make shaving a lot smoother than it used to be. Maybe it’s the coconut oil. :)

21. dhang April 26, 2012 at 6:49 am #

can i replace coconut oil with olive oil?

• Lindsay April 27, 2012 at 1:56 pm #

Olive oil does not have the same anti-bacterial properties and would leave a stain.

22. Wendy April 3, 2012 at 8:27 am #

I have now been using this recipe for over a year, and I LOVE it! Even my husband uses it most of the time, and he bikes to and from work. I also enjoy being able to add drops of lavender and grapefruit oils, which makes a very fresh, clean scent with the coconut oil.

23. Vic March 19, 2012 at 11:36 am #

It’s important to mention that it’s probably the lauric acid in the coconut oil that is the most active ingredient. That said, make sure you are using virgin coconut oil and not fractionated coconut oil in this recipe since fractionated coconut oil has the lauric acid removed.

Lauric acid destroys S. epidermidis. It’s the metabolic byproducts of S. epidermidis feeding on sweat that are a major cause of odor.

Some people are allergic to coconut oil so it’s a good idea to test it on your skin before using just to be sure you don’t react.

• Stephanie L April 2, 2012 at 11:41 am #

Vic – I am curious about the allergy to coconut oil. If I were allergic to it used as deodorant, used in toothpaste, etc. would I be able to eat/drink coconut water or milk or candy bars with coconut in them and not have a reaction? I have been dealing with a recurring hives rash since the end of January (it goes away with medication, comes back a week or so later) and there are only a few things that I think it could be. Coconut oil is one of them, but I have had Mounds bars for years, I have had Coconut water with no problem, etc… Curious about your thoughts on this since you seen to have an awareness.

• Lora May 2, 2012 at 6:23 am #

That could very likely be your culprit. My brother’s family has some coconut allergies and it’s skin rashes. They don’t eat it but when it’s in a lotion their skin turns to sandpaper with red splotches.

24. Fe February 28, 2012 at 10:45 pm #

I tried this and I’ve been using it for 2 weeks already. I include few drops of Lavander oil on the recipe and it really works. Thank you

25. Michelle February 22, 2012 at 4:31 am #

Also to anyone making this recipe with tea tree oil it can cause irritation to sensitive skin. I’m about to make up a fresh batch with no tea tree and a little less baking soda to try as i can’t tell which is irritating my skin.

• China Mom February 22, 2012 at 6:37 am #

Both can be irritants. I had to stop using it because I am pregnant now and the deo in any proportion was irritating my skin and was not doing the job at all.
      From the beginning I avoided making it 50/50. I made 1:4 (soda:starch) and 1:3. 1:6 proportion was not sticking well together and coconut oil kept “running out” leaving the deo hard and too dry. For teatree oil I would say 1 or 2 drops per every tablespoon of coconut oil you use – this way it won’t be irritating.

• Cyndie June 23, 2012 at 4:42 am #

I use this recipe with baking soda and I love it. I used only a drop or two of tea tree oil for the antibaterial qualities and lavender oil or other essential oil for smell, but I found that if melt it all together in the microwave after I have mixed it all together ,no more irritation. When I microwaved it, it was for about 20 seconds at a time and then stir it good. I repeated this 3 to 4 times to make sure the baking soda was disolved and evenly dispursed in the mixture. I have been rash free for months now and no smell or clothes stains.

26. Salina January 11, 2012 at 7:41 pm #

For me – just straight coconut oil works well as a deodorant as well as just tea tree oil. I love coconut oil for everything, bath oil, cooking, face at night and as a hair moisturizer. However, I’ve found that the cheapest way to go for deodorant is the Thai mineral salt – it looks like a rock crystal. $6 at the drugstore and last almost a full year. Works great.

27. Lee January 5, 2012 at 11:49 pm #

Does anyone understand the actual function of the 3 main ingredients in the mix? Just wondering how relatively important they are for stopping odour/reducing sweating. If you can drastically reduce the bicarb soda as many are suggesting, why not eliminate it if it is the cause of everyone’s rashes? (I’ve got painful red lumps in my pits after 5 days using this mix)

I love the thought that I might be just going through a detox stage and it will get better, but at the moment it’s getting worse, and I can’t stand the idea of going back to commercial deods.

PS, I’m loving a combination of lemongrass oil and lime oil, plus am adding rosehip oil.

• valleygirl April 11, 2012 at 10:41 am #

The purpose of DEODERANT is never to reduce or hinder sweating. That is the job of an antiperspirant. Plain old deoderant just helps to reduce the bacteria caused by sweating that is the cause of the smell. I have found where I live in the summer I cannot do without antiperspirant….it’s humid and in the triple digits and it’s constant sweating. But it’s nasty. I wish I could find a way around when you soak through the pits of your shirts it doesn’t really matter how well the deoderant is working bc you LOOK nasty. lol

• Melissa Campbell April 26, 2012 at 10:09 pm #

Rosehip oil has a high concentration of Vitamin C, which can cause some people to break out in a rash when applied topically. Try avoiding that ingredient and see if it helps.

• Emily May 9, 2012 at 1:34 am #

You mentioned….. (I’ve got painful red lumps in my pits after 5 days using this mix)

So.. do you really think it’s detox stage…
      How are the lumps.. are they still there.. or you got healed after the detox stage.. ?
      Would love to hear from you… : )

• Lee May 25, 2012 at 3:14 am #

Hi Emily,

well it’s been almost 5 months and I’ve only used my old deod once in that whole time (during a day of hard work outdoors in the South Australian summer!).

Unfortunately, I can report almost constant trouble under my arms. I thought it was due to ingrown hairs but having read back through the posts, I’m now thinking maybe clogged pores, which get itchy and then infected like little pimples, then I’m sometimes getting a swelling in my lymph glands too which is super painful.

I haven’t messed around with the recipe all that much. My next batch will be mainly coconut oil, so it stays a bit softer over winter. Unlike most, I really like to apply it with my fingers like moisturiser – I find it annoying when it sets hard. I’m gonna try omitting the rosehip oil, which I just assumed would help, and substituting arrowroot for the cornflour.

I’ve found tea tree oil to be helpful when the lumps gets bad, but I don’t use it in the deod mix as the smell is overpowering.

On a related topic, I’ve used nothing but coconut oil on my face for 3 months with pretty good results. Yay coconut oil!! (I eat a fair bit of it too).

• Kashkit August 6, 2012 at 6:38 pm #

• Kashkit August 6, 2012 at 6:49 pm #

I am experiencing the same problem with the painful red lumps in my pits, does anyone know the cause of this. I don’t want to go back to commercial deods either. I have also been taking coconut oil orally but causes nausea so had to stop taking it. My ingredients are baking soda, arrowroot flour, coconut oil and small amount of tea tree oil.

• Marie July 14, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

FYI….Lemongrass essential oil can be extremely irritating to the skin

28. Brittini November 18, 2011 at 6:34 am #

I am making this now, cant wait! I hope it turns out! Thank to all who responded with advice =)
    & Thanks, Lindsay!

29. Raine November 16, 2011 at 8:41 am #

Hey Ya’ll ! I absolutely LOVE this recipe!! It really really works!! But, I am getting knots under my arms since I started using it and they are painful. I know it is one of the ingredients that is causing it. Not sure which one or why. Can anyone tell me what is going on? Thanks so much!

• Phoebe December 30, 2011 at 7:50 am #

Hi Raine. My husband was also getting painful knots under his arms after using this. He went to the doctor yesterday and found out they are clogged pores, much like pimples are. His were infected and on their way to becoming abcesses, so he is on topical & oral antibiotics now. :-( I was very excited that I had “converted” him from his anti-perspirant & deodorant to this….and that it was working for him. The doctor didn’t come out and say that it was this deodorant that caused it, for sure, though. We do feel it is related, since others have mentioned having the same issues. A big thing the doctor emphasized, however, is making sure your armpits are very clean. Hope your knots go away soon and that they don’t get infected. Hopefully you will be able to still use this recipe. I find that it works fabulously.

• Lindsay December 30, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

It can very easily be actually detoxing your pores from using the yucky stuff. Other ladies have shared this same experience and it gradually started working just fine once all the toxins were out of your system. Does that make sense?

• Emily May 9, 2012 at 1:40 am #

Love to know that this is true… : )

• Crystal July 13, 2012 at 2:54 am #

I think it may be the mixture– I had not used any deoderant for many years before trying this, and have had some irritation that I can’t contribute to detoxing, as there was nothing to detox from. It could be that it has been in the 90′s for about three weeks though:) Also, I added a few drops of Eucalyptus citriodora, which is anti-tick, so maybe I’m reacting to that. Going to make a new batch, that’s why I came to this site. Thx.

• Susan November 25, 2012 at 10:36 pm #

I doubt any rash was from detoxing. Probably it is the immune system developing resistance to the bacteria one is putting onto the armpit by dipping dirty fingers into the jar every time they apply deodorant, or it is an allergy to an ingredient. I have also seen my husband have issues with using the same deodorant for more than a month (the Thai salt one), and it is related to product contamination moreso than the ingredients. He switched to a new stick of the same product and the rash disappeared right away.

An applicator would be a better idea than using fingers, and have one that prevents contact of the product container with the skin. Maybe a popsicle stick or brush than can be washed between uses…?

30. RB October 29, 2011 at 4:25 pm #

I tried this recipe and it seemed to work great for a few days during the work week. However, the first weekend I used it watching my daughter play larosse in a tournament all day I smelled terrible. :) Any thoughts on adjusting the mixture? I made it exactly as described above.

Also, I noticed that the texture (while in the container) varied from runny to solid throughout the week. I’m in Florida so the humidity may have something to do with that.

• Dawn February 7, 2012 at 5:44 am #

Coconut oil melts very easily, it can go from solid to liquid with just your body temperature applied. The temperature fluctuations may be causing it to go runny. Maybe try storing in your fridge and it should stay solid. Might be a bit chilly when applying though. =)

• Katrina November 24, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

You may also try adding some beeswax or candelilla wax to the mixture. Both of these waxes melt at higher temperatures than coconut oil and may help keep the deodorant in a more solid state

31. Di October 27, 2011 at 9:39 am #

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I’ve been struggling with BO for the longest time – nothing, not even the clinical strength formulas was working any more.

However, after just a few days using this recipe, I am a total convert!

32. China Mom October 20, 2011 at 11:28 pm #

Hi, I was wondering about the following: I tried different ration of cornstarch and soda but it seems like I keep getting the white spots on my dark clothes. I found the only solution to it ATM is to wet my fingers or my armpits and then apply the deodorant. Any other ideas? Am I not mixing it well or they are not dissolving well? Adding a few drops of teatree oil helped a lot as it does keep the smell away better rather than just the cornstarch, soda and CO alone. I must note here I live in the South of China so it is pretty humid here.

Thanks for the recipe. I have been using it for more than a month now and I really don’t see myself going back to the commercial deodorant. I am switching my household to more natural things (own soap, own perfume, own cleaning products etc). My husband was a bit skeptic at the beginning now has asked me now for an aftershave and a perfume :-)

• coffeeaddict October 25, 2011 at 5:10 am #

Hi China Mom,
      I used to have the same problem. I found an efficient method is to really rub the ddeodorant on your skin. The friction will cause the hard bits to dissolve. Also you might want to increase the amount of coconut oil, maybe your mixture is too dry?
      The one I made has a texture similar to a body butter and while it’s annoying to apply, becaue I have to use my fingers, it does feel great on the skin.
      Hope I was able to help :-)

• Emily May 9, 2012 at 1:44 am #

Hi.. How do you make your own soap… Can give recipe… I would like to learn… : )

33. Renee October 13, 2011 at 5:35 am #

I’m wondering if this will solve the “plasticizing” of my hubby’s undershirts and dress shirts? Will the oil cause another stain to be treated with each wash? As it is, I’m awful at treating stains, and would prefer to find a stain-and-plasticizing free solution! Thanks!

• Lindsay October 14, 2011 at 1:38 pm #

I don’t have a problem with staining and we have been using this for 3 years.

• Jan April 11, 2012 at 3:27 am #

Have you tried a vinegar rinse in your laundry to get rid of that “plasticizing” problem?

34. Whitney September 21, 2011 at 5:27 pm #

I loved this deodorant dearly for three months before I experienced unpleasant red bumps on my armpits. I have since read that cornstarch has been known to clog pores and promote bacteria growth. SO, I hope arrowroot is better because I love how this stuff works!

• Susan November 25, 2012 at 10:40 pm #

Yes, I have known for years that starch applied to baby butts causes a rash, so I am going to try this one without the starch, just the coconut oil and beeswax. Perhaps I will add some lavender oil, too.

35. Jenn September 18, 2011 at 4:48 am #

I love this recipe and have been using it for about 2 months. I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed a discoloring of their skin after using it. I’m very pale, but I’ve noticed the skin under my arms (more the left than the right) is darkening. It’s not itchy or irritated, just darker.

I used a 1:4 ratio of arrowroot to baking soda because I was worried about a sensitivity, and I added a few drops of tea tree oil, which I’ve used before mixed with rubbing alcohol for a deodorant.

It won’t stop me from using it as long as it doesn’t start bothering me, I just wondered if this happened to anyone else.

• kelly September 18, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

Are you pregnant?

• Jenn September 21, 2011 at 4:25 am #

definitely not

• Shari October 5, 2011 at 7:41 am #

I have had the same problem Jenn, My best guess is that the baking soda is drying out the skin. I go through cycles (I’ve been using it since May) and after a while the darker skin will start to flake off. It has helped me to make sure to exfoliate daily and before applying the deodorant I use a little jojoba oil. I also added chamomile oil to the mixture. It has helped a lot. My left pit is still darker than the other but it has toned it down a lot. Hope that helps!:)

36. Lori August 31, 2011 at 7:44 am #

So I finally tried it… and it works. Wow! I was amazed. I used just a little less baking soda and a little more arrowroot powder cause I didn’t have enough baking soda. I don’t know if my husband will try it or not but my sister-in-law and I split the batch and she really likes it too. I can definitely say it works better than the Secret I grabbed when my natural deodorant ran out last week. I won’t be going back to the natural stuff either. It is so cheap and easy to make. I added lime essential oil to mine.

37. Duise August 23, 2011 at 12:19 pm #

Can you put the ingredients for this recipe in a blender? on like pulse?

• Lindsay August 24, 2011 at 5:49 am #

You are welcome to give it a try.

38. Janet in NC August 7, 2011 at 4:08 pm #

I made this using 1:4 cornstarch/baking soda, and aloe butter with a bit of coconut oil. I added a few drops of tea tree oil as an antibacterial. let me tell you, i have never tried such an effective deodorant before! I am a chef. In my work, i don’t perspire, I SWEAT! And, I smell. After 2 days of using this, During the heat of the hottest August we’ve had in years, I can sense absolutely NO odor at all, even at the end of a hard, sweaty day. Boy oh boy, the “personal hygiene” companies have had us all bamboozled! I’m going to give everyone in my family a jar of this for Christmas!

• Michele August 30, 2011 at 9:45 pm #

Janet, Can you give me the recipe for your deodorant? I am going to try a couple of them and yours sounds like a great option.
      Thank you!

39. Veronica June 27, 2011 at 9:58 am #

Hi I use a powder deodorant recipe that calls for 1 part baking soda with 6 parts corn starch. It works really well but I was wanting to try a recipe that calls for coconut oil just so there would be some moisturizing as well. I guess my question is should I just add coconut oil to my powder recipe and keep the 1:6 ratio? I just dont know why this recipe calls for equal parts baking soda to corn starch. Seems like it would be irritating. Or maybe the coconut oil cancels it out?? Sorry so confused.

• Jane July 1, 2011 at 8:19 pm #

I would just add coconut oil (solid state) to your 1:6 mixture until you get the right consistency. I’d try it out first with a very small amount to see if it suits you (eg 1 tsp soda, 6 tsp cornstarch, enough oil to mix). I’ve wasted a lot of product in the past by making the full recipe and finding it wasn’t suitable, so ditching the lot!

I’m gonna try your 1:6 ratio, as I’ve already cut it down to 1:2. but I do still get some irritation. Even so, Lindsay’s recipe does work brilliantly – this is the best deodorant I’ve ever used, more effective by far than the commercial ‘safe’ ones!

40. vivi June 14, 2011 at 8:12 am #

i tried this deodorant recipe and it worked very well since i hav tried even the clinical strength ones from the stores and with no results i tried this homemade one instead. works great but may have to substitute something or get a new recipe because after a couple days use i got a rash.

how can something that works so well not agree with my skin :(

• Brandy June 14, 2011 at 8:31 am #

Vivi,
      I’ve found that coconut oil actually dries my skin out some so perhaps that’s the reason? It could also be cornstarch if you used that.

I’ve been told that using a lemon slice daily when you get out of the shower helps immensely. You just use a slice, rub it over your armpit and allow it dry. I’ve had friends say that they used a fresh lemon slice daily and it helped w/ the body odor. Once the bacteria in your armpits is more regulated I guess you can go down to using it only every other day or even once weekly. Hope this helps.

41. kel June 10, 2011 at 1:50 pm #

I’m looking forward to trying these great suggestions. I am a young breast cancer survivor and have eliminated as many xeno-estrogens as possible (the stuff in soaps, chemicals, etc.) These act as estrogens in the body, and since my tumor was estrogen positive, it is a concern. Just an FYI for other breast cancer survivors; lavender and tea tree oil are both phytoestrogens and have demonstrated the ability in young boys to grow breasts when they used products containing these two substances. Once they were removed, the boys were normal again. I would caution anyone who had estrogen positive tumors to avoid using lavender and tea tree oil especially under the arms near the breasts.

42. Michelle May 29, 2011 at 7:36 am #

The beeswax addition works really well for me as the temperatures here are already 109 in May and it tends to melt on me just sitting in the bathroom!!! Thanks!

43. Joyful Mother May 24, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

I tried this recipe. My husband & I both have used it for 3-4 months now. It works great, and we both love it. Thanks for sharing it!!

44. Brandy May 14, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

can i substitute coconut oil for something else? anyone have any ideas??

• Jessica May 30, 2011 at 6:21 pm #

I have no idea how this would work because I haven’t personally tried it, but, you could try either palm oil(also solid at room temp.) or even an organic vegan shortening? That might also have coconut oil in it though, so I’d check if it’s an allergy issue. Just an idea..:)

• ScrimplyThrifty April 10, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

Maybe try cocoa butter or shea butter?

45. Vasilisa May 13, 2011 at 7:02 pm #

Hello! I just started reading this blog recently and took an interest in this post. I have been searching for homemade deodorant recipes for a while, and this is one of the ones I considered. I changed it a little bit, and I LOVE the result. I have used it for a few days and I have had zero sweat or odor issues (for the first time ever!) I wanted to share my alternative recipe with you guys:

1.5 tablespoons beeswax, 5 tablespoon coconut oil, 1 tablespoon shea butter, 1 teaspoon mango butter (optional), 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup arrowroot powder. 20 drops of essential oils (I used a combination of tea tree, lavender, sweet orange, and ylang ylang).

I melted the wax and oils together first in a double boiler, then added everything else. I put some into an old deodorant container, and some into a jar. It hardened to a very nice consistency. The beeswax really helps to keep all of the ingredients together. And it smells amazing. I am never going back to traditional deodorants. I hope this helps if anyone is looking for alternatives!

Cheers,
    Vasilisa

• Cortney September 8, 2011 at 8:38 am #

How much does this make at a time?

• Priscilla September 14, 2011 at 6:09 pm #

Vasilisa, I tried your adapted recipe & like it…found it easier to make than the original recipe. It made about two-thirds of a cup which filled 1 & some of a 2nd empty Speedstick container (brand my hubby likes).

I put water in a saucepan. Once it boils then place a pyrex glass measuring cup in the water. First I put the beeswax in…measure out shea butter and add that to the melted wax and then next the coconut oil. I start with the ingredient that takes the longest to melt. Once melted I added the other ingredients & then poured it carefully into my containers.

It hasn’t hardened as much as I’d like…it maybe too warm in my house. I may place it in the fridge to get it more solid. I probably won’t have any problem with it once we get into our cold winter months.

I double checked the recipe & see it is a total of 20 drops (combination) of essential oils, I added 20 drops each of lavender, tea tree & orange….LOL.

46. Soulthoughtful May 4, 2011 at 7:06 am #

I have used the soap Dr.Bonner’s Magic Soap -Pure Castille soap, the huge peppermint kind, as a deodorant and that has worked for me.

• Kathy C May 18, 2011 at 7:19 am #

You just apply the castille soap straight?

47. Lynn D. April 24, 2011 at 5:39 am #

Hi. I’m also a lover of Jesus and wanted to share with your readers that Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and other store bought baking sodas also contain aluminum. It’s hard to buy anything “mainstream” that isn’t tainted with toxins. I buy my baking soda from VitaCost.com and you can also get it from Swanson’s health supplements. It’s called Bob’s Red Mill baking soda and is aluminum free. Using Arm & Hammer just puts the aluminum right back in that you are trying to avoid!

• Priscilla April 24, 2011 at 4:37 pm #

thanks Lynn D for sharing that info. I’m surprised Arm & Hammer doesn’t list that info. on their packing. How did you learn that? I’ll be checking into the Bob’s kind.

• Jaky June 23, 2011 at 3:28 pm #

There are other brands of baking soda right next to Arm & Hammer that indicate on the label its aluminum free.

• Jenn B July 24, 2011 at 11:31 am #

You have confused baking powder with bang soda. Baking soda is pure sodium bicarbonate, no matter which brand you buy. It’s baking powder that has a combination of ingredients and sometimes contains aluminum (it will say on the container). Baking powder and baking soda are not interchangeable.

• Elin January 7, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

Actually, Bob’s Red Mill’s Aluminum-Free title is redundant. Taken from a Bob’s Q&A:

ØAluminum Free- most baking soda now days does not have aluminum. **we used to get asked this question a lot back when other co. had aluminum in theirs. So we added it to our labeling ** we may consider taking it off.

So, Bob’s Red Mill admits that the fact that their b.s. is aluminum free is not unique. I’ve also seen a FAQ sheet from Arm & Hammer stating that their b.s. does not contain aluminum. Just can’t find it at the mo.

• lisalynn March 29, 2012 at 4:54 pm #

amen !
        I get so tired of reading about this..
        I should start selling SUGAR FREE water..

just a gimic ..

• ScrimplyThrifty April 10, 2012 at 8:47 pm #

Lynn, All baking soda is aluminum free. It’s baking powder that has aluminum in it. Apparently some baking soda companies have started labeling their products ‘aluminum free’ to take advantage of people who don’t want aluminum in their products, even though there never was aluminum in it in the first place. Amazing what companies will do to get your money!

• Elyse May 9, 2012 at 5:43 pm #

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Baking powder has aluminum in some brands, but I don’t know how baking soda could…

48. Emms April 4, 2011 at 9:10 pm #

Hello, I was wondering if this deodorant recipe works as an antiperspirant too. I have had a lot of trouble ‘keeping the sweat away’ and hoped maybe a homemade deodorant might have different results than the store bought kind.

• Bekah May 23, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

I just wanted to say that after about a month of using this, I hardly sweat at all anymore, and I had hyperhydrosis prior to using this. I tried all kinds of things, but I always react to the zinc in deoderants and end up smelling like sweaty metal – yuck. The only thing I have noticed as it gets into summer months is that the oil will put a slight mark on my tank tops. For some reason, it doens’t show on my t shirts, but it looks a little odd on my tanks – like I’ve been sweating. I am going to play around with the amount of oil b/c that is what is showing up. That said, it doesn’t stain – washes right out. Love this stuff!

49. Gracie March 28, 2011 at 7:06 pm #

Hi there. Thanks for the great recipe! I just made it, but am wondering if you would recommend keeping it refrigerated? My jar of coconut oil recommends that you keep it refrigerated to maintain freshness, so should I do the same with the deodorant?

Thanks again!
    Gracie

• Lindsay March 29, 2011 at 7:27 am #

No, that is not necessary. Coconut oil has a stable shelf life of at least 6 months.

50. Dawn March 27, 2011 at 10:21 pm #

Do you think it would work just as well if I substituted extra cornstarch for the baking soda? I have painful reactions to sodium bicarbonate (and sodium carbonate but that’s another issue) and am hoping to find a solution to the deoderant issue. Currently I use Toms as a deoderant due to my issues with antiperspirant but it contains baking soda too. Hmmm if the coconut oil weren’t so expensive I’d just try it. Maybe in a smaller batch so less money is wasted if it doesn’t work… idk.

• Jane March 28, 2011 at 1:19 am #

Hi Dawn – I have modified this recipe to:

3-4 Tbl coconut oil (solid state)
      1 tbl baking soda
      2 tbl arrowroot
      5 drops each of peppermint and tea tree oil essential oils

While I don’t have an allergy to baking soda, I was getting a rash and a lot more ingrown hairs with equal quantities of baking soda and arrowroot. By adjusting the ratio to 1:2, the irritation has really decreased.

To try out a small amount, I’d suggest reducing the recipe into teaspoons instead of tablespoons (to make a smaller quantity) as a trial.

Best of luck!
      Jane

• Kathy C May 18, 2011 at 7:23 am #

I also broke out in a rash with homemade deodorant which contained cornstarch and baking soda but don’t know what caused it. I am going to try this recipe in hopes that it works. Thanks.

• Kim July 19, 2011 at 3:11 pm #

You should exercise caution when using peppermint oil on the skin – it can be a sensitizing agent. Just FYI.

This recipe looks interesting. I’m going to have to try it. Thanks!

• C July 1, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

Most of the versions of this recipe I see include a caveat that you can easily decrease the amount of soda – because using a 1 to 1 ratio with the cornstarch often gives people a reaction because it’s too much. It would fix the rash some posters mentioned, too.