“On the First Day of Christmas, My True Love Gave to Me…”

Written by contributing writer, Trina Holden.

Chances are this week you’re in the thick of making a list and checking it twice and I’m sure you don’t think you need one more thing to think about. But even while encouraging simplicity this Christmas, I’m gonna throw out a unique challenge.

I’m gonna suggest you add one more thing to your list.

Your husband.

Yes, I know you have him on your list already, and maybe you’ve already found just the right gift to bless him on Christmas Day. But what about today? What about the busy weeks counting down to Christmas, when your time and energy are stretched to fulfill all that this season requires of you as a wife and mother and homemaker? Is there a way you can keep this most important relationship – this man God has given you, in the forefront of your thoughts, maintaining your friendship even in this hectic season?

There is a way you can add a little holiday spice to your marriage. It’s so simple, it’s almost corny. But I’ve been keeping this little tradition with my husband for 6 years and every year he says it’s his favorite part of the whole season.

We call it “Twelve Days” but it has nothing to do with Partridges and Pear Trees. The idea is that I give him a little gift on each of the twelve days leading up to Christmas. The gifts are not big, often just a favorite cookie or candy, but the value of the gift lies in that I’ve thought of him. When he finds 3 envelopes on the ‘Third Day of Christmas’ or a half a dozen of his favorite cookies on Day Six, his eyes light up like a kid at Christmas, and I fall in love with the tradition (and him!) all over again.

If you’d like to start this tradition in your house, it’s not too late! I usually call Dec. 13th our ‘first day’, so you still have time to gather some things from around the house or on your next trip to town. Here’s a list of items to get you started…

Day 1: Any single object – this is where I usually spend a little money and give him something I’d otherwise have tucked under the tree. A hat, tool, piece of masculine jewelry, etc.

Day 2: Think pairs! Socks, gloves, matching mugs for him and her, sunglasses, pants, long underwear, tickets to a concert or a game.

Days 3, 4, 5, and 6: What comes in packs? Golf balls, socks, briefs, favorite candy, guitar picks, favorite beverage, refills for his razor.

Days 7, 8, 9, 10, 11: Higher numbers get a little trickier – just think ‘small’ and you can do it! Cookies, packaged and delivered to work. A CD with 11 songs. Post-it-note love notes hidden through the house.

Day 12: Think ‘by the dozen’ or ’12 months in a year’. A magazine subscription, coupons for a monthly date night or a dozen chicken wings for lunch.

More ideas…

• A book or film with a number in the title
  • A series of emails or texts sent to him throughout the day
  • A gift certificate or coupons for his favorite meal
  • A collection of poems (Haiku is a quick and easy!)
  • One year I publicly praised my husband by posting 10 things I loved about him on my blog

Get Romantic!

• Decorate your bedroom with a number of lit candles
  • Love letters — New or old
  • A custom CD of your favorite love songs
  • Coupons to redeem for a massage — given by you!

Once you’ve collected your little gifts, wrap the items up and stash them away where he won’t find them. I jot down which gift I’m giving him on which day in my day planner so I don’t forget. I also like to plan when and how to present each gift — under his pillow, on his vehicle seat, in his work boots — so I have everything thought out in advance, and I can pull off our little tradition with ease despite the rush of those final days leading up to Christmas.

It takes just a little extra effort on my part to fit this in with everything else, but it is totally worth it for the sparkle it brings to our relationship at a time where it might otherwise suffer. It helps me keep my man my priority even when so many other things call. I look forward to Dec. 13th and eagerly anticipate to the look on his face when he realizes his favorite tradition has begun again.

About Trina Holden

Trina enjoys offering hospitality from their 1800’s farm house in Upstate New York. She loves to encourage women to nourish their families, celebrate the journey, and choose to thrive at TrinaHolden.com.

347 Responses to “On the First Day of Christmas, My True Love Gave to Me…”

1. Phil December 21, 2013 at 7:08 am #

How about the twelve days after Christmas instead?! Give gifts until the last day of Christmas, January the 6th!

2. Amy December 18, 2013 at 12:10 pm #

I really do love this as nothing makes me happier than showing my love to my husband. That being said, I am so busy with being the “mother, wife and homemaker” how about a post for the woman?.. Believe it or not I am more than just a mum, wife and homemaker and while I may not have time to spend with my husband and kids it is as a result of running around after them so how about 12 days for me?? I do so much for my husband and I am constantly thinking of new things to do for him, it is automatic, I just want to please him, but I, for sure need a piece of that special treatment for a change. He works hard to provide for the household but so do I and all other women, we are deserving of these special tokens too.

3. Amanda December 14, 2013 at 10:59 am #

I am trying this out this year for my fiancé! He already has his actual present and it is our first Christmas living together so I wanted to make it special. I’ve already done 1 & 2. I didn’t tell him what was going on, just leavin little notes in the mornings. I think he’ll catch on by tomorrow. Here are my ideas:

1. Snickers bar
    2. 2-$2Lotto tickets
    3. 3 Doughnuts
    4. Underwear
    5. Movie from his Top 5, which a big deal for him
    6. Six pack of mtn dew
    7. 7 o’clock dinner reservation for a home cooked meal-meatloaf, his favorite
    8. Guitar picks
    9. 9 Coupons for back/foot rub
    10. 10 Reasons why I love you
    11. Lord of the Rings-because he always talks about “elevensies” from the movie and I’ve never seen it.
    12. List of my favorite memories from each month with him

4. Aubrey December 10, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

This is the 2nd year doing this for my boyfriend! Last year he was so surprised on Day 1 and could hardly wait for the next 11 days to see what he was getting…

Good luck and hopefully you all have as much fun doing this as I have!

Here is what I am doing this year

1. Ornament for our 1st Christmas Tree
    2. Two movie tickets for date night
    3. Three Pairs of socks to keep his feet warm
    4. Four bible versus about Love
    5. Five Love Languages Book
    6. Six Reese’s Christmas Tree’s
    7. Seven lucky scratch tickets
    8. Eight O’Clock date night (I bought tickets the Christmas Carole, starts at 8pm)
    9. Nine O’Clock Naughty Night (I bought some lingerie to wear for him)
    10. Ten reasons why I love you
    11. Eleven songs to dance too
    12. Twelve months of memories (I made a calendar with pictures from the last year)

Last Year I did the below
    1. Ornament for our first Christmas together
    2. Picture of his two favorite girls (it was of myself and our dog)
    3. Three new ski resorts to ride
    4. Four bible versus on how to love
    5. Five hour round trip plane ride
    6. A picture frame with six of my favorite memories from the last year
    7. A world map with seven places that I want to watch the sunset with him
    8. Eight day all expense paid vacation
    9. Nine songs to dance too
    10. Ten minute massage
    11. Eleven Hershey kisses with eleven real to follow
    12. Twelve reasons why I love you

• Aubrey December 10, 2013 at 2:50 pm #

I left out that last year his 12 days of Christmas revolved around his actual gift which was a trip to Lake Tahoe to go snowboarding… His Birthday is in January so I spent a little extra money and combined his presents. The best part was we were able to cross something off his bucket list together!

5. Tara December 9, 2013 at 3:01 pm #

One year I did 25 days of Christmas and I wrote my husband a love note everyday. I plan to do this for him and our 3 children that are at home. I will do 12 days beginning on the 13th and put the items in their stockings

6. Stephanie December 6, 2013 at 4:23 pm #

Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas everyone! This is what I did

1. A framed picture of us (with the 12 days of Christmas poem)
    2. 2 Christmas coffee mugs and shots of baileys to drink together on our first Christmas morning
    3. 3 packs of gum
    4. Package of 4 Chapstick
    5. $5 Starbucks card
    6.six pack of different kinds of holiday beer
    7. Lucky number 7 lotto ticket
    8. Package of 8 chocolate santos
    9. 9 homemade cookies
    10. 10 reasons why I love you ( I got a mini box and cut up 10 pieces of paper and wrote it on there)
    11. Mix cd of 11 love songs
    12. A book full of sexy pictures of me (something to keep him happy all 12 months of the year!)

Hope some of my ideas come in handy! :)

7. Olivia December 5, 2013 at 9:35 am #

Your ideas are great! What about some good quality steaks for the hubby? I ordered meats online for my husband for his birthday and he was so excited to grill them. If your husband is a foodie like mine, I definitely recommend it. Food is the way to his heart!

8. Jolanda December 5, 2013 at 8:15 am #

Need ideas for my hubby for day 7 and 11 maybe love/thank you notes or maybe something on the intimate/sexy side?
    I did this last year too and love it, trying to it a bit less expensive then the past year…but ya this is our new tradition….
    Thank you!!

• Aubrey December 10, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

I made a CD with slow songs to dance too, might be good for day 11.
      Day 7 maybe do a 7′o clock dinner reservation or get tickets to a show that starts at that time… Last year I got a world map and marked 7 places I wanted to watch the sunset with him…
      Hope this helps, Merry Christmas!

9. Mp December 2, 2013 at 1:00 pm #

1-bottle of whiskey
    2: movie tickets
    3: boxers
    4: coffee essentials-mug, lb, cold press, cooler
    5: five course meal
    6: march 6th concert
    7: oclock dinner reservations
    8: red bull 8 pack
    9:lottery tickets
    10: gift card to dunn bros
    11: brownies
    12: pack of beer

10. Danielle November 18, 2013 at 5:22 pm #

I was stuck for ideas on what to get my boyfriend for Christmas as I am extremely tight on money this year because I’m saving for a holiday I’ve booked with my friends in January. I didn’t want to get him nothing because he always buys me small things and surprises me, he’s going through a hard time and I couldn’t not do anything. I have been looking for ideas all over and have come up with ideas just not sure what numbers to put them under. number 1 I was going to get him a wallet as he always says his is broken. 2. movie tickets. I was going to make dinner reservations to the place we had our first proper date. I wanted to take him camping for a weekend as he keeps saying he wants to go camping. I was going to set up Christmas lights and make a pathway of lights in the ground (my friends suggestion) but not sure what number to put this under.
    I have read all of your posts but am still stuck for ideas, he is trying to get fit, he loves going out and doing new things. was thinking of giving him a photo of us in a photo frame as he is always wanting to get photos together and writing him a note as he has written me so many already but stuck on what number to put them under
    I love all of your ideas, thank you for all your ideas also :)

11. Bianca Mears November 12, 2013 at 12:35 pm #

Absolutely in love with this idea! I wasn’t sure how to get my boyfriend a practical and thoughtful gift at the same time, and this an awesome way! I thought I’d share my list since so many others’ lists helped me make mine :)

I wrapped all of the little gifts the same and put a tag on each one saying “On the first (second,third,etc..) day of Christmas my true love game to me….
    And inside the wrapping I finished the sentence with a rhyme that goes with the gift

Day 1. A heated zippo lighter – to keep his hands warm during smoke breaks
    Day 2. A pair of movie tickets
    Day 3. A three pack of Mach 3 razors
    Day 4. $40 gift card to his favorite store
    Day 5. Five coupons for five minute back rubs
    Day 6. Six pairs of socks
    Day 7. Seven Lotto tickets
    Day 8. An eight pack of red bulls
    Day 9. 9 o’clock dinner reservations at a nice restaurant
    Day 10. A candy bouquet with 10 of his favorite candies
    Day 11. A CD with 11 Christmas songs for when we drive around looking at Christmas lights
    Day 12. A dozen reasons why I love him, its also my 12th month knowing him so I might do something about that, not sure yet

I’m going to deliver the gifts different each day, I’ll put some in the house for him to find, or waiting in his car, or even delivered to him at work. I’m so excited for this and I know he is going to love it.

Thank you! :)

12. secret santa October 14, 2013 at 2:48 pm #

I’m doing this for my boyfriend this year. The only issue I’m having is that his birthday is on 12/12 and I’ll be starting his 12 days on 12/13. Normally I wouldn’t combine his birthday with Christmas but the gifts he’ll be getting are pretty big. Basically I need a way to tell him on his birthday that I didn’t forget its his birthday but that Christmas and his birthday will be rolled into one because wonderful things are on the way Lol. Help!

13. jolanda July 22, 2013 at 1:11 pm #

hi,

already working on ideas for my hubby, got two items already but I wanna spice it up a bit with some romantic/ sexual items…any ideas ? tia

• Gabby July 22, 2013 at 1:22 pm #

I suggest reading through the other comments, as there have been a few people who shared their really creative ideas!

• Jolanda December 5, 2013 at 8:11 am #

I love your name!! ;)

14. Jennifer December 26, 2012 at 5:02 am #

Fyi the 12 days of Christmas begins on Christmas day and runs through the epiphany. 12 days of feasting and celebrating the lord after the quiet preparations of advent.

15. Reina December 23, 2012 at 7:37 pm #

I gave my dh the redskins football Jersey today and I’ve never in life seen him this excited about a gift. This was day 10 so of course i gave him the quarterback Jersey (#10) at 1pm in time for the redskins game. I think he swooned lol

16. Raquel Garcia December 23, 2012 at 1:04 am #

I am looking for a summary to the 12 Days to print out and give me husband. I did find one, but for the life of me cannot find it again and did not save it at the time.
    Please help…Thanks!

• Reina December 23, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

What do you mean by a summary?

17. Jami December 21, 2012 at 9:36 pm #

My husband and I have been married 18 years and have been together since 7th grade. Love of my life. I always try to do something cute for gift giving. He is always appreciative and loves the sentiment behind even the smallest gift. We have a 14 year old and a 4 year old and it is hard for us to ever have one on one time with him. He has said numerous times that “we” are what he loves most. So we decided to give “us” to him. We (me, my son and daughter) are giving him 12 Dates of Christmas. We have planned 12 dates with him, one per month, alone with only one of us. We each picked what we wanted our Date with Daddy to be. It has been fun to see both children really enjoy getting it together as we each picked and planned our four dates.

Jan-1 game with Garret (courtside basketball tickets to the local college ballgame alone with our son)
    Feb-2 concert tickets (I bought two tickets for us to go to a concert together. It’s right at Valentine’s Day, so it can be a Christmas gift that keeps on giving all the way to Valentine’s Day!)
    Mar-3 chicken strips (A gift gard to ChickFilA for him to take our four year old daughter. They love this! ChickFilA is both of their favorites and she plays on the playset and they get chicken strips and share an ice cream at the end. She actually said, “I want to go to ChickFilA with Daddy all by myself!”)
    April-4 hours with Mama (I’ll get a sitter and have a date night at home. I bought a RedBox gift certificate and a bottle of massage oil and wrapped them together with a pack of tortillas and a can of green chiles. Enchiladas are his favorite, so we’ll do dinner, a movie and a little massage.)
    May-a 5-stack o’pancakes (I got a gift card for Craker Barrel…the 4-year-old’s idea. She loves to go to CB with him and eat pancakes and shop in the country store and play checkers and rock in the rocking chairs out front and get candy on the way out.)
    June-6 days at youth camp (We just moved out of state and my son immediately said that he wanted his “Big Gift to Daddy” to be that they would both go to camp with his youth group from our church where we moved from. He wants my husband to go as a chaperone. So, I called the youth minister and reserved and prepaid for two spots for them. It’ll be a road trip to meet them at this summer’s destination, but both of their best friends will be there and it’ll be good father/son time.)
    July-7th inning stretch (Tickets are cheap and easy to come by for our local minor league baseball team. I wrapped a 2013 baseball schedule and highlighted July and explained that he gets to pick the game he wants to go to. This is supposed to be a date with me, but may turn out to be a famly event. Either way, it’ll be fun and cheap.)
    Aug-8 rounds of skee-ball (ChuckECheese giftcard to use with our daughter. They spend all their time at skeeball. LOL)
    Sep-9 NINE-teen years with Mama (Our anniversary is in September and I asked new, local friends for date night suggestions. I bought a gc for a nice restaurant that was suggested and am working on burning a CD with a nineteen important songs from our years together.)
    Oct-10 piece chicken wing (We don’t live near our favorite football team, so my son said he wants to go eat wings with Dad somewhere they can watch a Georgia game “without the girls.” We, again, asked the new locals where to have good guy time during football season. I bought a gc and put a football schedule with it so they can decide when to go.)
    Nov-11 I need a cheesy phrase, but my son wants to go to a movie, “just them,” to see a movie that “only a guy would like.” So I got them a gift card to the movies and wrapped it with 11 movie titles that are to be released in 2013.)
    Dec-12 favorite flavors (Our local icecream shop has a menu item that is 12 tiny balls of different icecream flavors, all lined up in a cute little presentation like Christmas balls on a triangular, green thingy. Cheesy and cute and delicious. And my daughter got her love of icecream from her Daddy and the icecream place says they have it every Christmas as a menu item.)

• Wanda December 22, 2012 at 5:16 am #

I have to say… I have thoroughly enjoyed ALL of the input on this thread, but yours is the angel atop the tree, so to speak. I absolutely LOVED ALL of yours. A lot of Love and thought put into your hubby and their Daddy. Hats off to you guys! Sounds like you have a sweet family. (We are high school sweethearts and have been married for 31 years. He is the Love of my life.) Merry Christmas! Wanda

• Jami December 22, 2012 at 8:33 am #

Thanks for your kind words, Wanda. It’s definitely not a new idea, but a spin on a classic that works for my little family. My son and I have talked about how to present these dates and have gone round and round with ideas. We finally decided on this: We made simple scrapbook pages for each date and I’m putting them in a 12×12 scrapbook. (I love to scrapbook and always buy extras when I see them on clearance. I already had the supplies and it only took a little while to put them together.) My son suggested that I give him the scrapbook first and let him open that as a gift. He said that I should then take it and “read “it to my husband like storybook, turning one page at a time as he and my daughter give him each gift. We shall see. We have two days to perfect our plan. ;)

• Wanda December 22, 2012 at 9:15 am #

Jami,

You are most welcome! What a (yet another) great idea! I’m sure he will love that!

Cant wait to do this again next year. It has been so much fun!

Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

Wanda

• jolanda December 22, 2012 at 5:43 am #

love it !!
      next year i will be doing things different, we will have a newborn (our 1st) and i will be doing this with baby boy involved into things….
      so many great ideas i found through this thread….
      MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

18. Kym December 20, 2012 at 4:33 pm #

I don’t think my six year old would even get excited about things like pudding cups and underwear. No offense but if you want to treat your husband to something special, why not give a man what he really wants? 12 Days of Sex! After 16 years with my husband, things are spicier than ever, despite two kids and many many challenges. Our romance and love is what keeps me sane, lol, and helps us both feel connected. I survived lung cancer this year and it’s given me even more resolve to live life unabashed and with great enthusiasm and joy!

If anyone else is interested in really dazzling your man, try twelve days in a row of something that will bring him true excitement and fun! I’m treating my hubby to twelve days of bj’s, starting Dec. 25th. Each morning, I’ll hand him a scroll tied with a sexy red ribbon and these words:

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…
    Naughty Santa

(I’ll wear a santa hat and creatively use a candy cane.)

One the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…
    Tingles and Tangles

(I’m using a strand of red lights to tie his wrists.)

On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…
    Hot Stuff

(I’ll put a satin eye mask on him and use warming lotion.)

On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…
    It’s a Mystery

(I’ll wear a Mardi Gras mask with smokey eye and pretty lipstick.)

On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…
    Sweet Surrender

(I’m using a pair of playful handcuffs and creatively using a mug of warm cocoa and can of whipped cream.)

On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…
    Hot Lips

(I’ll wear cherry red lipstick and use cinnamon warming lotion.)

On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…
    A Magic Carpet Ride

(I’ll place our super soft throw blanket over a plush rug on our bathroom floor, decorate the bathroom with candles and red Christmas lights only, and play Steppenwolf and Van Halen which I always find very sexy to listen to. Also using a warming lotion – I found a 12-pack of different flavors on amazon.)

On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…
    A Pretty Present

(I’ll dress up in red lingerie.)

On the ninth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…
    A tie

(I’ll tie him up with red satin ribbon and also decorate myself with red ribbons and one of his business ties and shirts.)

On the tenth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…
    Something Naughty and Nice

(I’ll put a satin eye mask on him and use some special bedroom toys.)

On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…
    Sugar & Spice

(Using another bedroom toy and also creatively using melting chocolate after being warmed in microwave, and whipped cream.)

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me…
    My Own Snow Bunny

(I’ll dress up in white lingerie and decorate our bathroom with white Christmas lights and candles.)

Hope this might help other couples enjoy a fun Christmas and bring your man into a fantastic New Year! Your husbands can thank me later, lol. :)

• Siamese February 23, 2013 at 5:17 pm #

Hope Santa brings you the definition of “TMI.” Do you honestly believe a bunch of strangers actually are interested in the intimate details of what you and your husband do in your privacy? This was really rather gross.

• MB November 13, 2013 at 9:13 pm #

Love the ideas!! There is nothing wrong with having a healthy and fun sex life with your husband, disregard the other comment, sad that they don’t have what you do :) Congratulations on having such an amazing relationship with your husband after so many years… you go girl!!! You’ve made it so through so much with surviving cancer, etc… I’m so happy for you and thank you for sharing for the rest of us that are lucky enough to be as fortunate.
      Take care and Happy Holidays.

19. Rae December 20, 2012 at 2:31 pm #

Thank you for this post! It inspired me to put together a 12 days of Christmas care-package for my husband who is currently deployed. He has some fairly strict rules of what can or can’t be sent (nothing that can’t be used or has to come back or takes up room, hold off on the sweets), but it was a great way to use some creativity and send him some holiday cheer.

Day 1 – Irish Spring shower gel and scrubber
    Day 2 – a pair of insulated work gloves (he had actually just requested some, so perfect timing)
    Day 3 – summer sausages (requested list item from FRG)
    Day 4 – packs of Prilosec
    Day 5 – five 5x Scratch Lotto Card
    Day 6 – air freshners
    Day 7 – $70 i-tunes gift card
    Day 8 – Hot Hands Warmers
    Day 9 – 9 Ferrero Rocher truffles
    Day 10 – pairs of socks
    Day 11 – bags of microwaveable popcorn
    Day 12 – instant hot chocolate packages and marshmellows

20. Meg December 20, 2012 at 1:29 pm #

I love this idea! I started this on the December 12th and will end on the 23rd, doing real Christmas presents on the 24th and 25th. Lots of my gifts have been pintrest inspired:

1 – 1 Rice Crispy Treat shaped like a Hershey Kiss
    2 – 2, $2 scratch off lottery ticket
    3 – 3 homemade jars of bath salts
    4 – 4 jars of homemade seasoning packets (taco, ranch, jerk, cajun)
    5 – 5 coupons for back rubs
    6 – 6 pack of unique beers (make your own six pack at Total Wine)
    7 – 7 day pill pack – filled with different candies and love notes in each day
    8 – CD with 80 minutes of favorite Christmas Music
    9 – Balloons filled with air and little treats (candy, gift certificates, notes, little stocking stuffer stuff)
    10 – TBD
    11 – 11 candles leading up to a romantic evening
    12 – 12 month subscription to favorite magazine

I made little cards that say “On the First Day of Christmas, My True Love Gave to Me 1…” (and so on with numbers). I place that card on the door knob or more obvious location in the room the actual gift is hidden. Then I hide the other gift (usually wrapped) within that room. That way the searching for the gift doesn’t take all day. I started the whole thing with a note explaining the game and why I was doing it.

This has been a really fun and inexpensive activity to show my man I love him. :)

21. Angie December 20, 2012 at 7:01 am #

This post has been so inspiring!! I love to hear what everyone comes up with!

Because everybody’s husbands and relationships are different, I think it’s great to keep sharing ideas! I think for this to be truly special for him, really take some time to think of things that will be special TO HIM! Don’t just try to come up with gifts just to get it done. There should be some really heartfelt items included. And that’s not saying every gift has to be the bomb but the majority should be ones you know he will be really delighted with.

That said, here are my 12 gifts I came up with. My husband and I like to keep the “spark” alive (we’ve been together over 20 years and still going strong!)

Day 12 – 12 red roses
    Day 11 – 11 reasons I love him (one of his favorite)
    Day 10 – 10 back rub coupons
    Day 9 – 9 o’clock “naughty” party (presented with a new piece of lingerie)
    Day 8 – 8 Godiva chocolates
    Day 7 – 7 loving quotes. – taken off Pinterest and texted throughout the day (another favorite)
    Day 6 – 6 oz of Redi-Whip
    Day 5 – 5 sexy pics sent throughout the day
    Day 4 – 4 scratch off tickets
    Day 3 – 3 pack of boxer briefs with love coupons tucked inside
    Day 2 – “2nd chance” at day 9′s gift (we weren’t able to have our “party”)
    Day 1 – Christmas Eve breakfast out with the family

22. Angie December 20, 2012 at 6:55 am #

This post has been so inspiring!! I love to hear what everyone comes up with!

23. Paula Z December 19, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

Thank you so much for sharing this! Just finished up day 6 so far and my husband has LOVED it! He has been truly touched. I enjoyed reading all the ideas in the comments too! It helped get the gears in my head to turn, so I wanted in turn to share mine.

1 walmart gift card
    2 pairs of jeans
    3 bags of twizzlers
    4 frappacinos
    5 peppermint patties
    6 ice cream sandwiches
    7 scratch offs
    8 foot rub coupons
    9 packs of reece’s peanut butter cups
    10 yoo-hoos
    11 toasted coconut marshmallows
    and 12 snackwell’s devil’s food cookies

24. EDC December 19, 2012 at 6:16 pm #

If you are still struggling to think of an item for the higher numbers, consider shoes. A cheap pair of flip flops to decent kicks, shoe sizes could help fill in 9-12.

25. Jennifer December 19, 2012 at 8:53 am #

Day 8, I’m combining the #26 acts of kindness in honor of the Sandy Hook victims with our 12 days for my hubby. I’m making 8 gift bags w/ homemade cookies, misc Dollar store toiletries, and a small gift card with the note to my hubby:

Day 8, let’ share our love by celebrating it with others, so today here are 8 gifts to pass along to fathers, sisters, daughters, mothers or brothers. Random acts of kindness can be passed to a stranger or a friend. One of the many things I love about you my dear, is that you kindness knows no end.

Just an idea to pass along…Merry Christmas!

• Reina December 19, 2012 at 9:04 am #

I love it! So very sweet!

• MarieTherese December 23, 2012 at 7:29 pm #

Ooh I like this one! Excellent. These all are so creative!

26. Ashley December 18, 2012 at 2:57 pm #

I am on day 5 today and here is my list, as well as the poem. Boyfriend is loving this!!

Day1: a really nice new hat (a cap to show off his swag)
    Day 2: new cycling socks (2 awesome socks)
    Day 3: 3 bars of soap made with beer (3 soapy beers)
    Day 4: 4 stacks of nano post-its (4 tiny notes)
    Day 5: 5 clementine oranges (5 fruit rings)
    Day 6: coupons for massages (6 hands a rubbin’)
    Day 7: 7 lucky 7 scratchers (7 chances o’ winnin’)
    Day 8: 8 gold chocolate coins (8 chocolate coins)
    Day 9: 9 handmade chocolate dipped pretzel rods (9 yummy snacks)
    Day 10: $10 gift card to his favorite coffee shop (10 free lattes)
    Day 11: Cd with 11 love songs (11 sappy songs)
    Day 12: calendar with vintage bicycle prints (12 vintage bikes)

• Kacey M December 19, 2012 at 8:04 pm #

Love the poem that went along with it. I sang it out in my head! Good job! Def doing this for my husband next year!

27. Amy H. December 18, 2012 at 7:11 am #

I love this idea–and I think my husband will love it, too! And even though it’s a little late for me to do this now up to Christmas, I realized I can still do it on the actual 12 days of Christmas–up to Epiphany! This gives me a little more time to plan it out and get it done. Day 1 will be on Christmas Day–although he already got his main Christmas gift early, I still have the “smaller” gift I can use for this.

1. One leather wallet (he’s been needing a new one). I already removed the inserts, and I will include a few things to make it more personal, like wallet-sized photos of family and a gift card to his favorite store.
    2. Two hunting/fishing permits (one for him and one for our son to go with him).
    3. Three-pack of boxers. Since underwear can be boring to get as a gift, each will also include one special “love coupon” for him to redeem with me. ;-)
    4. He’s a hunter/fisherman, so I’m thinking four inexpensive, outdoors-related items… maybe an animal call, box of ammo, fishing lure, and a thermos or something. Or if all that costs too much, maybe just four fishing lures.
    5. I will make and serve a five-course, candlelit meal (will have a babysitter for that night).
    6. Keepsakes made by our children (we have six children, so one from each of them).
    7. Seven lottery tickets.
    8. An 8-pack of socks–which he *always* needs! Also an 8-minute foot massage to go with it and make it a little more fun.
    9. Nine large brownies (one square pan cut into 3″ x 3″ squares) for him to take to work. Also, a novena I’ve been praying for him for a special intention.
    10. “Ten Reasons I Love You” letter (or poem) written by me.
    11. Eleven sticks of his favorite beef jerky.
    12. A dozen new arrows for archery practice. (These are custom-made and a little expensive, but I had planned to give them to him for his birthday in January, anyway, so this will just be a little early. Now to come up with a new birthday gift idea, lol!)

• Kacey M December 19, 2012 at 8:07 pm #

Great idea’s!!

28. kristina December 17, 2012 at 9:13 am #

I have done this for my boyfriend. I started it a little early because we will be out of town for over the holidays..

Day 1 Over the door ironing board (he needed this!!!)
    Day 2 two movie tickets
    Day 3 three pack of mints
    Day 4 4 pack of wisks
    Day 5 5 hour energy
    Day 6 6 pack of special k bars
    Day 7 7 lucky scratch offs
    Day 8 8 pack of gatorrades
    Day 9 I am not sure yet may do some candy or something
    Day 10 gift card to a local restarant he enjoys
    Day 11 maybe 11 oz of something or some kind of food
    Day 12 12 seasonal beers!

I am trying to make mine not so expensive because I got a lot of gifts for him for christmas

29. Lauren M December 15, 2012 at 10:41 am #

I absolutely love this idea! I’m on the third day, and so far my boyfriend loves it. He says it’s like having Christmas every day! :-) I started with 1 and am counting up until Christmas Eve, mostly so we could see the Hobbit around day 2.

Day 1: A Webster’s Teach Yourself Spanish book (what he asked for this year)

Day 2: 2 movie tickets to see the Hobbit

Day 3: 3 donuts from his favorite donut place that’s across town (that I never want to drive to) — had them before he woke up.

Day 4: 4 pairs of boxers

Day 5: A gift certificate to 5 Guys Burgers

Day 6: A 6 pack of beer (either his favorite, or I like the Dos Equis idea someone else had)

Day 7: 7 Lotto Scratch-offs

Day 8: 8 of his favorite cookies to take to work. This will be hard to do sneakily… maybe bake at a friends’ house?

Day 9: ???

Day 10: 10 cans of Dr. Pepper 10 for him to take to work — his favorite soda

Day 11: ???

Day 12: A photo book with all of the places we’ve traveled this year (the last 12 months)… ha this one is a bit of a stretch but oh well!

Does anyone have ideas for Day 9? We will be going to a high school football game at Cowboys Stadium that day — I’m trying to think of something football related, or something we could use on the drive over / at the game / etc.

And I’m stuck on day 11 too. Maybe a coupon book with 11 coupons? It’s also our 11th Christmas together, but I don’t want to do a photo thing because he’s also getting a photo book the next day on the 12th. Help??

Any ideas would be WONDERFUL! :-)

• Lucy December 19, 2012 at 5:50 pm #

Day 9- 9 butterfingers, hoping the other team fumbles the ball.
      Day 11- 11 minutes of heaven or romantic coupons (30 minute long massage, shower time, evening of dancing, picnic in the park etc.)

• Lauren M December 20, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

I love the butterfingers idea! I’m not a sports person, and would have never thought of that. Thanks!

• Jami December 21, 2012 at 8:36 pm #

For day 11, you could burn a CD with 1 important song from each of your 11 years. For day 9, you could load 9 nine songs to his ipod (or burn them) for the car ride to and from Dallas.

30. MarieTherese December 14, 2012 at 9:27 pm #

Gave my husband gift number two today. Two massages balls. Left it on his bathroom sink. He came in this mornigpng when he saw it and crawled over the bed and gave me a big kiss! His hip had been hurting him last night and like magic, there was a massage! Yesterday, I gave him a French pear tart from his favorite French bakery. He didn’t get it but I think he’s getting it now. :-)

31. Rai December 14, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

1- a purple tie b/c it is our wedding color
    2 – (2) 2-liter bottles of mountain dew
    3 – tins of mini altoids mints
    4 – mini bottles of tangueary
    5 – $5 giftcard to his favorite place to get a milkshake
    6 – reasons “i love you” taped all over
    7 – lucky lottos
    8 – handmade (by me!) ornaments reflecting our favorite/best moments (including day we met, where we got engaged, 2 different vacations, etc)
    9 – ‘love’ coupons ;)
    10 – giftcard to red robin (his favorite to eat at with a guy pal)
    11 – hershey’s kisses
    12 – a new Yankees calendar (even though i hate them – go Mets!)

32. Kaylee December 14, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

I pinned this months ago, and found it the night before the 13th! My husband and I got married less than 2 weeks ago, and for a wedding gift I went all out and bought him a $200 watch from fossil that he has been wanting. So, the 12 Days of Christmas is perfect so I can give him a lot of inexpensive gifts, but the idea of it makes it more special!
    I am doing day 2 today. Since I had a late notice I just got he first thing I could find for day 1, here is my list, some may change if I get better ideas!

Day 1: A tub of his favorite popcorn!

Day 2: House shoes,

Day 3: a 3 musketeers

Day 4: A 4-frame picture frame with a picture of us from each year we have been together.

Day 5: A 5 in 1 car safety kit

Day 6: A 6 pack of coca-cola in the bottles, decorated like this:

Day 7: 7 Lottery tickets, lucky #!

Day 8,9,10 will be something to do with a new book, homemade coupons of things I don’t
    particularly like doing! lol, and maybe a back massage for the # of min the day is,
    but that could be a “coupon,” so I am going to try and think of something funny to
    do for the remaining day, or maybe boxers, socks, or undershirts!

Day 11: CD with 11 songs he likes, or that have meaning to us

Day 12: Chic Fil A Calendar with coupons

• Kaylee December 14, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

For Day 1, I didn’t tell him what was going on, he just thought it was a random gift.
      And for today, Day 2, I am making him do a little work! I am leaving a note on our front door that says “Micah, Do not pass go, do not collect $200, Go directly to my car and read the note in the seat. Seriously.” And the note there explains what is happening and at the end says “If you want gift #2, go to the place where I first told you I love you!” Which is next door at his parents house in his old room! Kind of a little scavenger hunt.
      Day 3, I planned on leaving the candy bar in his car, but just realized tomorrow is Saturday and he won’t be going anywhere! If anyone has anymore awesome ideas, please let me know! I love doing out-of-the-box things for my hubby(:

• MarieTherese December 14, 2012 at 9:35 pm #

Cute idea on the bottles!

33. Melissa December 14, 2012 at 10:15 am #

Love it! Doing it for my son & hubby.
    1- belt
    2 – gloves
    3 – Orbit gum 3 pack
    4 – Fusion razor refills
    5 – pairs of boxers (out dog likes to eat them and pull them out of the laundry)
    6 – pack of beer
    7 – A week of something… i dunno
    8- days of diaper duty (we’re expecting #2, and I know he’ll want to get out of it!)\
    9- Reasons I love him
    10 – $10 gift card (car wash or BK)
    11 – CD of “our songs” one for each year I ‘ve known him + our wedding song.
    12 – Maximum PC subscription.

34. jolanda December 13, 2012 at 8:05 pm #

i am so excited about this…i had a poem that someone posted on the first gift this morning with the fact that he expect more but i took it off last night..when he saw the first gift this morning he started singing the 12 days of xmas song…and was like so i can expect more gifts….i said maybe..
    than tonight at supper time he brought up the Hobbit…he is like guess what is coming out tomorrow and knew exactly what he was talking about (i bought two Hobbit tickets for tomorrow night ) and he is like i am not to excited about it and i probably wanna wait till after Christmas…haha if he only knew what i am up to…now he has been watching some trailers and is excited to watch now….and probably not after Christmas…..Am so glad i found this idea!! Thank you!!
    From now on this will be our new tradition for Christmas…

35. Rebecca December 13, 2012 at 7:52 pm #

Day 9 idea: ammo for a 9 mm to go shooting at the range :)

36. Rebecca December 13, 2012 at 7:48 pm #

Tomorrow we do Day 3 and he’s LOVING this! All gifts are wrapoed in red paper, white bow and a printed label with the number on ir.I was struggling with #4 and decided to do a 4 generation picture frame! His Grandaddy, him, his mom and our daughter all as kids. His Grandaddy passed this year and his mom passed when he was 14, so he’ll like this. Day 9 is the big one-going to see the Radio City Christmas show with the Rockettes (dancing ladies!).

37. Lisido01 December 13, 2012 at 7:46 pm #

1-brita filtered water bottle
    2- pr of black socks
    3-Ferraro rocher chocolate 3 chocolates
    4-king sized almond joy 4 pieces
    5-Nivea gift set has five items in it (lotion, body wash, loofa, lip balm, body cream)
    6-small tin of cookies
    7-book by Tony Dungy has 7 chapters
    8-Reece’s pieces candy cane
    9-3 pk handkerchief and king sized twix
    10-pocket calendar
    11-iced animal crackers 11 oz
    12-$12 giiftcard

38. Casey December 13, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

I’m starting mine tomorrow morning! SO EXCITED! I know I got most of my ideas from the help of viewing all of your ideas so I thought I’d post mine in case anyone else needs last second ideas!! I’m starting from 12 and going down to 1 to end on Christmas day.

12 – A dozen doughnuts I’m putting in his car before he leaves for class
    11 – CD with 11 songs for us to listen to while we drive to Atlanta that day
    10 – Gift card to Chic-Fil-A
    9 – Cookies
    8 – Snack Pak pudding (they come in sets of 4)
    7 – 7 Packs of gum
    6 – 6-pack of Sam Adams (his favorite)
    5 – Pepto – (funny joke between us) – & there’s 5 symptoms relieved!
    4 – the movie “Four Christmases”
    3 – 3-wick candle (Twisted Peppermint is his fav!)
    2 – Pair of gloves that he can still use on his iPhone while wearing
    1 – 1 year of preplanned, prepaid dates!

39. Cassandra December 13, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

I LOVED this idea!!! I planned everything out and couldn’t wait to start! I told all of my friends and coworkers…. My husband hated it! What the heck! I got him a shirt on the first day that he could wear to work outside and I wrote a card that said “on the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me… A warm shirt to keep me cozy” and he HATED it. What the heck?! Has anyone else had this experience? Not that I think I should try it again, but I’m just curious….

• MarieTherese December 14, 2012 at 9:38 pm #

Keep trying…he probably thinks he owes you 12 gifts. Just explain. My man didn’t get it at first either. Not sure he does yet but I will just keep telling him it was a way to demonstrate I love him,

• Kelci December 16, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

Yeah…mine didn’t tell me he hates it but he doesn’t seem very excited about it. I feel really disappointed because I was so excited about it. Day one he sent me a thanks text message, day two he was grumpy and just set his unopened gift down…he still hasn’t looked at it. He only seemed excited today because it was a set of tickets for his favorite sports team. I kind of feel like I shouldn’t bother finishing…

• Lisido01 December 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm #

Similarly, my husband is not excited about this either. Seems more like a bother to him than bringing him joy. I too was very excited to be a blessing to my husband for 12 days before Christmas, also he didn’t get any presents for the first 12 years of his life. I feel more disappointed than happy each day when he just doesn’t act all happy about his gift. I explained to him about it and that I was tring to recreate new memories for him but I guess it boils down to the fact that gifts are not his thing, but rather words of affirmation. Lesson learned for me.

40. Nichole S December 13, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

Need help with my rhymes

today I am doing 1 dozen cookies
    12-

tomorrow I am doing 11 love songs on a cd
    11-

10- i am doing a pair of gloves that he use with his touch screen phone (10 fingers)

1-a watch

I have bought a shirt like a dress one, a tie, a cardigan vest, 5 pairs of dress socks, We have been together 7 1/2 years married almost 6 years…have 3 daughers between us. He likes politics, Aggies and Cowboys football…Texas Rangers baseball. HELP PLEASE. Not a big beer drinker and is trying to eat healthy.

• Nichole S December 13, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

Oh and 3 pairs of boxers… I was also thinking of getting some undershirts.

• Nicole December 13, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

For day 6 i got a six pack of coke in glass bottles, (its his favourite drink) and the glass bottles made them look a little more like a gift! And for 10 i got a £10 gift voucher for his favourite shop! Hope this helps a little! =)

• Mel December 19, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

I would use the tie, vest, and shirt as day 3 (3 articles of clothing… maybe for “date night”)

I bought my fiance a nice dress shirt and a black blazer and am going to give it to him for day 2 with a date night tag on it.

41. Jessica December 13, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

I had forgotten until last night that I had pinned this, so I’ve been scrambling trying to get everything but I’m thankful for all the ideas that have been posted! I gave my husband the first one at his lunch break today…he was a little confused as to what it was for, so I just told him “There are 12 days of Christmas, right? Looks like you’ll be getting a little something everyday!” He was excited and I think he’s really looking forward to what the next 11 days will hold!
    1) FM transmitter for his work van, so he can listen to his favorite preachers podcasts while he’s driving around all day.
    2) Handmade cards from our two boys…letting him know why he’s such a good daddy!
    3) Holiday Boxer briefs…not sure how I can make that fit #3 but I’ll think of something.
    4)Reasons I love him on our mirror!
    5)$5 gc to Dunkin Donuts
    6)cookies/brownies/truffles…6 of one of these!
    7)7 minute foot massage…he’s always begging for this!
    8)mini boxes of junior mints
    9) 9′s scratch off lottery ticket
    10)a “tin” of chocolate truffle cookies
    11)handmade ornament celebrating our 11th “married Christmas” together
    12) chick fil a calender-12 months of his favorite fast food!

I tried to make a rhyme for each day and then I printed them out and attached each to the corresponding present. Excited to see his reaction each day…thanks again to everyone and their ideas!

• Jen December 14, 2012 at 4:56 am #

For #3 – boxers have 3 holes in them. :) (ok, technically 4, but it works – legs & waist!)

42. Debbie K December 13, 2012 at 9:34 am #

Day number one.
    All twelve gifts are wrapped in the same red paper and tied with a green bow.
    The note and book (gift #1) was left in the car seat in the garage.
    Though it took a while for the car to back out of the garage, the immediate phone call was full of joy and surprise. I could hear the smile in his voice.
    The book opened under the tree would not have delivered 1/2 of the experience.
    So once again, I thank you all for the ideas and this very special Christmas journey. Oh, by the way, he is clergy. I explained in the note that I realized the twelve days of Christmas should officially begin after Christmas.Surprisingly there was no compliant that his journey is beginning twelve days before Christmas.

43. Katie December 13, 2012 at 9:20 am #

I am so excited! I am starting tomorrow with a countdown 12-1, with 1 being Christmas Day:

12- Months in a year (calendar- outhouses!)
    11- Ingredients in his favorite cookies
    10- Dollars to spend at Subway (gift card)
    9- Letters to spell Liverpool (his favorite soccer team- I got an ornament)
    8- Reasons to love my hubby (will send him 8 texts throughout the day)
    7- Agent 007 (got his favorite James Bond DVD)
    6- Special nights (coupons)
    5- Treats for a plane ride (we are leaving to visit family that day- gummi candy, Pez, gum, Wooly Willy, jelly beans)
    4- Coupons for 4 days that I will cook all three meals for him- and that doesn’t mean pouring a bowl of cereal!
    3- Books he’s never read (Lord of the Rings trilogy)
    2- Dinner date for two (we have a 5 month old baby and a sitter lined up!)
    1- His big Christmas gift!

44. Jocelyn Coleman December 13, 2012 at 8:20 am #

I am sooo excited to start this today!!!! Here is what I did
    1. A wallet
    2. Two tickets to see the Hobbit
    3. 3 packs of his favorite gum
    4. 4 Dallas cowboy ornaments that he wanted
    5. 5 lottery tickets
    6. A six pack of his favorite soda
    7. 7 white t-shirts
    8. 8 pairs of socks
    10. 10 DVD’s that I got for stickin’ cheap
    11.
    12. A cd with his top favorite songs.

I haven’t figured out 9 and 11. But lucky I have some time!:)

45. Wanda December 13, 2012 at 7:11 am #

12 days of Christmas starts today here at our house! SO EXCITED! He is on call this week and he worked all night last night so I have to wait until he wakes up at 11:00 to give him his first gift! The way I feel right now, there is so much truth to “tis better to give than to receive”! CANNOT WAIT FOR HIM TO WAKE UP!

Here is my (almost complete) list: I must admit, I have waited until the last minute to post mine because you all have been SO helpful in helping me decide what to include in the gifts! Cuz I had nothin – except the 5th of whiskey! Still gonna be watching for days 8 and 11 : )

1) Keurig travel coffee mug, Starbucks ornament and peppermint bark from Starbucks – We enjoy coffee together first thing in the morning while we watch an episode of one of the million shows we record to watch. American Pickers, Homeland, Storage Wars… : )

2) Harley Davidson fingerless gloves (pair)

3) 3 of his favorite childhood candies, tin of Butterfinger bites, 3 large Chic-O-Stics and Banana Laffy Taffy

4) 4 cigars from the cigar shop that he/we love going to.

5) A Fifth of Woodford Reserve Whiskey – He is on call this week, ABSOLUTELY HATES it and he will be off call on the 5th day of Christmas and will have a little in his coffee. ; )

6) 6-pack of Dos Equis – He is the most interesting man in my life (LOVED this suggestion!)

7) Gift card to Studio Movie Grill (or as I like to call it the adult movie theater) to see 007 Skyfall.

8) Still trying to come up with something for this day…

9) HE LOVES Sterling Silver so .999 silver it is for this day.

10) Warm cozy slippers (ten toes – great suggestion!)

11) Still trying to come up with something for this day…

12) Calender to Twin Peaks – Hooters type joint (freebie monthly coupons – and yes… he goes there because the food is GREAT ; )

I am wrapping the gifts in plain brown paper (great suggestion) with On the ? day of christmas… my true love gave to me… Lettering in black, the day in red (great suggestion) and under my pink Christmas tree in our bedroom! It looks amazing!

This has been SO much fun!

• MarieTherese December 14, 2012 at 9:42 pm #

Love that dos equis idea!

46. Chriss December 12, 2012 at 9:21 pm #

Thank you all so much for sharing. Money is tight this year but I couldn’t stand the thought of not doing anything for my guy. This was a perfect idea. I was able to think of so many things that didn’t cost much, or were even free. And I know he’ll love it!

47. nina nichols December 12, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

I will start mine this FRiday, I’m excited! I know he will be very happy and proud of this..thank u for the idea…