Homemade Goat’s Milk Formula: Natural Supplementation for Baby

Do you need a good natural milk supplementation for your nursing baby? I have struggled with maintaining a sufficient milk supply for all three of my little munchkins and I have definitely tried my best at boosting my supply as well. The evenings have always been my struggle…meeting the demand when my body was weary and the breast empty. My babies have always wanted an extra portion to fill up the tummy to sleep through the night. I wanted to find a good natural milk alternative that I could give them in a bottle to top them off for the night. We wanted to avoid commercial formulas due to the soy contents. After doing a lot of research, we have found a great supplement. I also confirmed this recommendation with my naturopath and she affirmed my findings.

Enter…Meyenberg powdered goat’s milk. (Use the subscribe and save and its only $22.90 for 3 cartons).

Goat’s milk, I believe, is the best alternative because it most closely resembles the mother’s breastmilk. It is easy to digest, and completely natural. Goat’s milk contains around ten grams of fat per eight ounces compared to 8 to 9 grams in whole cow’s milk. According to Dr. Sears’, goat’s milk contains only trace amounts of an allergenic casein protein, alpa-S1, found in cow’s milk, making it less allergenic. He adds:

“Although the mineral content of goat’s milk and cow’s milk is generally similar, goat’s milk contains 13 percent more calcium, 25 percent more vitamin B-6, 47 percent more vitamin A, 134 percent more potassium, and three times more niacin. It is also four times higher in copper. Goat’s milk also contains 27 percent more of the antioxidant selenium than cow’s milk. Cow’s milk contains five times as much vitamin B-12 as goat’s milk and ten times as much folic acid (12 mcg. in cow’s milk versus 1 mcg. for goat’s milk per eight ounces with an RDA of 75-100 mcg. for children). The fact that goat’s milk contains less than ten percent of the amount of folic acid contained in cow’s milk means that it must be supplemented with folic acid in order to be adequate as a formula or milk substitute for infants and toddlers.”

Meyenberg goat’s milk is fortified with folic acid and vitamin D, free of pesticides, chemicals, or hormones. At my naturopath’s recommendation, we added cod liver oil (for omega-3′s and vitamin A & D) and a natural liquid multi-vitamin for the nutritional benefits. Amazon is definitely the best price I have found on this product, but is also available at your local Fred Meyer Nutrition or through Azure Standard.

My babies have always taken this goat’s milk just fine. Ideally, raw goat’s milk would be the best option, since the powdered version is pasteurized. But due to the fact that goat’s milk spoils quickly, powdered is a great option. Find raw goats milk sources through Local Harvest.

Goat’s Milk Formula:

Yield: 36 ounces

4 cups goats milk (or 8 scoops Meyenburg goats milk powder & 4 cups filtered water – dilute further with water when you first start supplementing with this recipe, watch stools, and gradually increase if baby is digesting just fine)
1/4 cup liquid whey from yogurt or kefir (contains probiotics, strain from yogurt, or kefir- we start feeding our babies yogurt when they are around 7-8 months, so I stop adding it after that point)
1 -2 tsp organic blackstrap molasses (This provides B-vitamins, iron, trace minerals, and helps relieve constipation. Decrease amount if stools are too loose.)
2 tsp organic maple syrup (for carbohydrates)
1/4 tsp of bifodobacterium infantis (we use Natren Life Start for priobiotics, calcium, and other nutrients)
1/2-1 teaspoon high-vitamin cod liver oil (we use Childlife Cod Liver Oil for nutrition and to support healthy brain function, 1/2 tsp is the recommended daily allowance, so adjust as necessary.)
1 tsp unrefined sunflower oil (for vitamin E)
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp virgin coconut oil (contains lauric acid that is important for anti-viral, antifungal properties as found in breast milk)(B Vitamins & folic acid – 1 tsp per day is the recommended daily allowance for infants, so adjust as necessary. Since they are getting many vitamins through the other nutrients here, you could just use a b vitamin liquid supplement or use a smaller amount. You can use 2 tsp of nutritional yeast as the best option, but we always had stomach issues with this, so we have stayed with the multi-vitamin. We are currently using Nature’s Plus Baby Plex.)
1/4 teaspoon acerola powder (we use Now Acerola Powder for vitamin C)

Blend all ingredients together in a blender. Pour into individual glass bottles or one large. To warm, place in a pan of simmering water. Never use a microwave. This formula is best made daily for optimal nutritional retention. It is recommended that you only use 1 tsp multi-vitamin and 1/2 tsp cod liver oil daily for infants, so you may need to adjust the recipe as needed. This recipe lasts approximately two days for my current baby, Eden, who drinks a 4 oz bottle before every nap and an 8 oz bottle at bedtime.

Note: If you are just beginning to supplement with this, it is recommended to start with a smaller portion of goat’s milk to water (9 oz water to 1.5 scoops as described by Dr. Sears) and work up to the 1 scoop recommendation above.

See Dr. Sears’ Goat Milk Formula recipe here or Organic Thrifty has done a thorough recipe that I adapted from here.

We have used this recipe for all three of our little ones, and they usually took two to four 4-8 oz bottles per day, depending upon the child and age. We use it till they are about 1 year old before switching over to raw cow’s milk.

Lastly, we like to avoid plastic baby bottles and have found Evenflo’s glass bottles to be a wonderful alternative! They are very frugal as well.

Please note: I am not a medical professional. I am just a wife and mother who cares for the health of her family. Please use your careful discernment and double check with your naturopath before using this formula, especially if desiring to use it full time.

126 Responses to Homemade Goat’s Milk Formula: Natural Supplementation for Baby

1. Jen November 5, 2013 at 7:43 pm #

I have been using this recipe for 5 days now on my 4-month old daughter, with fresh raw goat’s milk. I am using the full 2 tsp of blackstrap molasses but she is still pretty constipated, especially compared to how she was going on Similac formula. Am I doing something wrong? I’ve been adding an extra 1 oz water for each 4 oz of formula, but still hard-ish stools. Can someone offer advice on how to change this up a little to help her go easier?

• Jen November 7, 2013 at 10:18 am #

Anyone? Please help! Its been a week and she is still very consitpated. I don’t know how I need to tweak it to make her not consitpated anymore. I shouldn’t have to give my baby prune juice every day to keep her formula from constipating her. :-(

2. Joni August 8, 2013 at 10:34 am #

Hi, Thank you for the video. I am not sure if you know this or not but why does the recipe call for both whey and bifidobacterium infantis. They are both live cultures. I am wondering if I can omit the homemade whey since that would be a lot grocery store trips to get fresh yogurt.

3. ashley July 14, 2013 at 11:36 am #

Question I’m still ebf but can not pump, so I’m wanting to try this but does all the other stuff have to be added for say 2 bottles a day?? How many scoops per ounce of water

4. Jessica April 30, 2013 at 11:22 am #

Hello,

If you use the Multivitamin versus the coconut oil and nutritional yeast, how many drop or tsp/tbls do you add to this recipe? Thanks!

5. Jessica April 30, 2013 at 10:37 am #

Hello,

Was wondering how long the ‘bottle’ is good for consumption after it has been warmed by simmering in water? Or, if my baby does not finish her 8 oz in one setting how long is the bottle good for for her to finish later? Typical formula from the shelves says 1 hour… is this true with Goats Milk Formula? I saw you said your mixture is good for 2 days in the refrigerator.. what is the maximum time for the mixture to be in the refrigerator before spoilage? Thank you for the recipe!

6. sara April 24, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

hi! a good support on bresatfeeding mothers whose milk is drying of is making an infusion with normal grass…cows make it like this. i was close to drying two times, when i was 4 and 5months and managed to increase it doing this…SUPER EFFECTIVE, easy and natural.

• Nicole August 24, 2013 at 3:43 am #

Hi, can you please tell me more about this? I have just returned to work and my supply is dwindling, even though I am pumping.

7. Hollie April 14, 2013 at 6:31 pm #

Hi, I have just started supplementing with the goat milk formula with my 1 month old. He was have a terrible time latching on. I am able to pump but not to his demand so I am doing half/half breastmilk/goats milk formula. It’s going great and he is so much more satisfied & content:) I was wondering how many days can batch be stored in the fridge? How long does it last after a bottle has been made? Thanks so much!!

8. Lauren April 3, 2013 at 12:53 pm #

Thanks for sharing this recipe.. I was wondering how long is it okay to keep out on the counter?

9. Sabrina March 4, 2013 at 7:50 am #

I breastfeed my 5 month old all night, in the morning before work, on my lunch break and all evening when I get home from work. I also feed her organic apples and carrots. Would it be OK just to give her about three ounces of powdered goats milk a day mixed with three ounces of breast milk to keep her full when she is with the nanny? I was hoping not to have to make the formula. I also give her a probiotic daily. Please advise. Thanks!

10. Willetta Spiter February 11, 2013 at 10:23 am #

If you are suffering from a chronic cough, it is very important that you get it treated. This is particularly the case if you are elderly or it is a young child that is suffering from a persistent cough.Whilst a cough is rarely serious, at first, if left untreated in these age groups, it soon can develop into something quite serious. For example, a cough with phlegm or green mucus can be an indicator of a deep or serious infection. A simple chest infection can quickly develop into something like pneumonia, which can take months to recover from. In the elderly, it can be even more serious and can result in death. A cough in a baby can be an early symptom of bronchiolitis. This is why if a baby has a persistent cough you should seek medical advice at an early stage.”

Most recently released post on our personal blog
    <http://www.healthmedicinelab.com/plantar-fasciitis-stretches/

11. Sasha January 9, 2013 at 3:21 pm #

Hi Lindsay, I was reading the recipe for the powdered goat milk formula. I was wondering if you needed to still use the coconut oil if you are using nutritional yeast for b vitamins?

Thanks.

12. Emma December 27, 2012 at 7:42 pm #

I am so glad I found your site. I am a mother of a 11 1/2 month old. I have never given my daughter formula, she takes a bottle and I pump. She was 6 weeks premature and never able to breast feed successfully. I have been extremely fortunate with my milk supply but am beginning to need a supplement as I am having difficulty keeping up now. She does eat homemade organic food and only takes a few bottles during the day. I have SEVERAL food allergies, a strong family history of allergies especially to cows milk and I dont really like the soy options available. Do you know if I could just use the powdered goats milk with an added multi vitamin since she eats food and is almost a yr old? Or would I need to make the whole formula recipe? Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you for your time!!

• Lindsay December 30, 2012 at 2:09 pm #

Yes, I think that would be appropriate.

13. Joanna Shkreli December 11, 2012 at 11:34 pm #

Hi Lindsay thank you so much for this formula. I just started trying this for my 2.5 month corrected age former preemie because he has terrible reflux and nipple aversion and nothing is helping. Could you tell me how many calories each ounce of this provides?

14. Nina November 29, 2012 at 7:07 am #

hiya sheila. my baby is 4.5 months old now and absolutely vetoed the homemade goats milk formula last night. she spat, blew raspberries, fake gagged, pushed it away, etc for about 15 minutes to illustrate exactly what she thought of that bottle. ive had her on variations of it for the past few days. the ones that include oils aggravate her reflux really bad. ive tried the dr sears version which she stomached better but still refused. plus i was worried about her nutrition as it only consists of goats milk, water, sugar, and multivitamins. to top it off she was really constipated with goats milk even after adding blackstrap molasses and probiotics :( id try a cows milk variation but im worried shes slightly sensitive to cows milk and id still have the issue with the oils.

shes a bit underweight, refusing bottles, has bad reflux, mild excema, chronic cough, sneezing and congestion, and a perpetual diaper rash. shes a very picky eater and has a sensitive stomach.

shes tried ALL the formulas here in the usa including nutramigen, alimentum, elecare, and neocate. she failed them miserably and actually does better with normal milk based formulas. im currently special ordering an organic formula from england that she takes better, but all the above symptoms are back.

15. Raya November 27, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

Melony,

The formula mixture recipe you provided looks great. I did a lot of research and this mixture covers whatever the goat milk lacks compare to cows milk (iron and vitamin B etc. It’s totally doable. I hate to feed my baby with cows formula full of growth hormones, antibiotic, additives, preservatives and all the unhealthy stuff. Organic formulas all have brown rice syrup which means a lot of Arsenic so this recipe could really come to rescue.
    I think I am gonna start with below items and give my baby the multivitamin separately by mount.

Raw or powdered goats milk (decided by choice and availability)
    *To start, use 1/2 scoop of powdered milk and work up to 1 whole scoop)

-Water (4 oz.)

-Blackstrap Molasses (added as a carbohydrate + has nutritional value)

-Cod Liver Oil (added for the Omega-3′s + offers awesome nutritional value)

Now have a few questions:

1- From what age you can give this mixture to your baby as supplement to mother’s milk? My baby is going to be 3 months and a half by end of Nov. She drinks my milk all daylong but regular formula about 4 or 5 oz before sleep when i have no more milk :(

2- HOW MUCH Molasses per 4OZ. should I add???

3- Dose she need Multi vitamins at all since she drinks breast milk all day long?

Anybody out there know more than me???? PLEASE HELP.

16. Danielle November 26, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

About how many days worth does this recipe make?

17. Najwa power November 23, 2012 at 7:59 pm #

Great formula! Is it alright for fully formula fed babies? I’m using it on my 4 month old refluxer tonight! Also, any suggestions for a fish oil replacement?

18. Mary Habib October 21, 2012 at 10:52 am #

Hi. I just started giving raw goat’s milk to my 10 month old using the formula recipe, except without the vitamin c and nutritional yeast. The acerola powder (now) has corn in the ingredients, so I left it out. Have you ever noticed that a child had any reaction to the change later in infancy. She seems to really like the formula, but her activity level seems much higher than usual. Any kind of “die off” effect possible with the removal of cow protein?
    Any insights would be very helpful!
    Mary

• Amber November 6, 2012 at 1:40 pm #

My dd has always been very active and smart. I started supplementing this at 2 months and stopped breastfeeding at 6 months so she only drinks goats milk now at 8 months. She has been sitting up, standing, and crawling since 6 months.

19. Erika October 17, 2012 at 6:38 am #

Lindsay

I was wondering how do you make the whey?

• Lindsay October 20, 2012 at 6:28 am #

I usually just strain it from a batch of kefir or yogurt. The liquid that rises to the surface is whey. You can use a cheesecloth to strain it.

20. Corrine October 11, 2012 at 7:04 am #

Hi Lindsay! Been reading your blog for a couple years but have never posted…have gleaned to much valuable information and much encouragement from you! Thank-you for being faithful to post! :) I’m from SK, Canada, I homeschool, try to be thrifty, and love Jesus too, so I find many of your posts seem to be just for me! :)

My 4th baby is 4 months old, and I routinely run out of milk between 4-6 months in spite of doing everything I can to keep it, so am looking ahead to possible options for feeding her. (Almost bought a goat, but after much consideration realized that was probably not going to work in our unfenced yard in a town) ;o So, I love this post! Now, I’ve looked around online, and it doesn’t seem like I can order this powder from the U.S. for a reasonable rate. Can I use any goats milk powder and add my own vitamin D or what would you recommend if I can get the same kind you use?

Thanks again so much for taking the time to post and reply. I know it’s a sacrifice and takes time away from your family, but it is so appreciated!

May God bless you Lindsay!
    Corrine

• Lindsay October 11, 2012 at 8:16 pm #

I think you would be able to use a different goats milk powder and make sure to add the infant multi-vitamin which should cover their need of vitamin D. I would check with your physician or naturopath to be sure though. Blessings!

• Amber November 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

My daughter never did well with the powder. She would puke and it clumps up so much. We get our milk from a farm. Its cheaper too!

• Corrine November 6, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

Thanks, I am looking everywhere for a farm that can supply fresh goats milk, but there doesn’t seem to be any near me. Have you ever frozen the goats milk? Wondering if I found a supplier farther away could I get it frozen?!

• Lindsay November 7, 2012 at 6:17 am #

I would imagine this would be a great option. If there is any problems with separation, the blender would solve the problem when you combine with the other ingredients.

• Heidi G February 10, 2013 at 4:41 pm #

If you go to the american dairy goat associations home page
          http://www.adga.org you can find a list of members. All the people listed on that site raise dairy goats. It shows addresses and phone numbers. Find a phone number in your same area code.
          Goat people are extremely friendly and LOVE to help others, especially babies that need their special goats milk.
          I’m a mom of an 18 yr old boy that has been on goats milk since 4 months old.
          Had to try all kinds of formula, but nothing worked. He had projectile vomit for most of those first 4 months. We were fortunate enough to find a family that milked goats and switched him over. We never had a problem from that day on. (raw) NOTE: I watered it down at first, 6 oz milk, 2 oz water.

I found this site because my niece is looking at switching her daughter over to a goats milk formula, maybe a powder. We now raise goats ourselves. As my son got to be about 10 yrs old I couldn’t afford or keep enough milk on the fridge shelf, so bought the goats. She is too nervous to get goats milk from us just yet. so I was hunting for alternatives for her.

great site!
          thanks for helping so many moms! I was in this spot 18 yrs ago and I don’t know what I would have done with out finding out about goats milk.
          Saved my sanity.
          Heidi

• Heidi G February 10, 2013 at 4:46 pm #

I am a goat raiser! Yes frozen is a great idea. Because it is so similar to breast milk, its naturally homogenized, it can be stored and frozen just like breast milk.
          I would say its only good for about 3-4 months. 6 months it seems to get yucky and seperate. I have customers that come and get 1 gallon fresh and 6 gallons frozen. Then they don’t have to come to the farm that often.
          (of course when I say I have customers that buy my raw milk, please note they are buying it for their puppies- wink wink)
          Its best to store the milk in glass containers, it seems that plastic gives it a yucky taste.
          We freeze in ziploc bags, we lay it on its side in a cake pan to freeze, then they stack nice in a freezer.
          I hope this helps.
          Heidi

21. Mary Habib September 25, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

HI. Very interested in this for my baby who seems to be having some digestive issues with formula, though I don’t really want to make my own whey. Is there a way I could buy this? Does Goat’s milk contain whey as well?

• Lindsay September 25, 2012 at 7:46 pm #

Unfortunately, you can only find the base powdered goats milk on the market, but not a complete formula as is described here.

22. Michelle August 21, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

Hi Lindsay,
    My son is 8 months and on soy formula. I have tried introducing goats milk once already but haven’t tried making my own formula from scratch, so was very grateful to find this one! I have ordered everything listed except for liquid whey (do you order this or do you simply strain yogurt?). Might sound like a silly question but I have never done this before! I am hoping that I can order it or buy it at a health food store. Is there a substitute for this ingredient? I want to try this ASAP as my son wakes in the night for up to four hours straight and is ready to rock n roll, is absolutely restless and hyper and sometimes has trouble falling asleep. I am almost certain it is from the build up of toxins and sugar from the corn syrup that he is currently consuming in the soy based formula that he has everyday. I had him on soy as he puked up all the milk based formulas and was very fussy until I made the switch.

Thank you!

23. James August 9, 2012 at 5:45 am #

Hello!,
    We started using goat milk and a recipe similar to this as my wife ran into some breast mastosis. It seems to fill the baby up alot quicker than breast milk. i guess it is becuase the increased calories here. Does that sound correct?

24. Tania July 22, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

Hi Lindsey,
    I also have a question. Do you feel that starting an 8 month old on just the straight goat’s milk formula from the can isn’t enough? I am just trying to think through the cost of all of this so I can decide and just wondered about going with the plain formula. Thanks!! (-:

• Lindsay July 23, 2012 at 1:22 pm #

The plain goat milk is lacking the nutrition needed for an infant. You can possibly get away with just adding a liquid multi-vitamin and cod liver oil at that age and if you are already supplementing with solid food.

25. Bethany June 14, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

I have a question. This recipe contains 2 tsp of molasses and 2 tsp of maple syrup, which according to my bottle labels is 73 calories (60 cals/tbsp for the molasses, i.e. 40 cals for 2 tsp; and 50 cals/tbsp for the syrup, i.e. 33 calories for 2 tsp). The Dr. Sears contains 6 1/2 tbsp of rice syrup which is 273 calories. Why the huge difference in carbohydrate/sweetener levels?

26. Bethany June 11, 2012 at 11:14 am #

Thank you for posting this. This seems more accessible than the WAP recipes somehow.

27. Melony June 7, 2012 at 6:51 pm #

I am so thankful for the information all the ladies are sharing here! My first child, I supplemented with commercial formula after she did not gain weight after 3 weeks (she lost one pound before leaving the hospital, and did not even get up to her birth weight). I was told she was a lazy suckler. It was probably the awful narcotics (pain pills) I was given from my C-section! Anyway, she puked constantly. And as many of you, we were told by her ped. to give her soy formula. It helped a little, but she still puked a lot. She quit breast feeding at 3months old. I sure wish we had known about goats milk then. She ended up getting tubes in her ears, which sounds like a symptom of a cows milk allergy that her little body could not digest, as some of you moms had experience with. It was when she was around 2 years old that we were educating ourselves on natural living.

Thirteen years later, I’m about to have our fifth child, three are adopted. So it’s only my second go at breast feeding, and I’m praying I will be more successful. But if not, I am so, so, very relieved that I have an alternative that I can welcome and live with to offer my baby girl that I know is doing good for her and not actually harming her! I just want to confirm the formula recipe with you Lyndsay to be sure I have it right, if I could.

Basically this is what you need:

-Raw or powdered goats milk (decided by choice and availability)
    *To start, use 1/2 scoop of powdered milk and work up to 1 whole scoop)

-Water (4 oz.)

-Blackstrap Molasses (added as a carbohydrate + has nutritional value)

-Cod Liver Oil (added for the Omega-3′s + offers awesome nutritional value)

-Whole Foods Infant multivitamin (added for the Folate, B12 and Iron)

So basically, just be absolutely sure you add a carbohydrate, omega-3′s, folate, B12 and iron to your formula, right? I’m not sure what the nutritional yeast substitutes in this recipe, but I know you can substitute molasses for brown rice syrup. Anyway, this is what I gathered. Also, you can freeze raw goats milk and that mixing your breast milk with the goats milk is a great way to get them started. When doing that, would you need to add all that other stuff, or just go with straight goats milk? I want to thank you again, all of you ladies and Lyndsay for sharing your stories with us. These are our most precious possessions that God has entrusted us with. And we always want to give our best to them and to Him. :o )