Soaked Oatmeal Breakfast

Why not our own little tutorial for enjoying the goodness of oatmeal, not only is it nutritious, but it is extremely frugal! I have found the soaking benefits to be very worthwhile and simple. If you are not familiar with the benefits of soaking, please read here. Basically soaking helps to break down phytates in grains which prevent proper digestion of the nutrients. Soaking breaks down the phytates and allows the body to properly absorb all the good content of those whole grains!

Besides the benefits for digesting, soaking also accomplishes a few other helpful things:

- Decreases cooking time – after soaking, you can cook up a batch of oatmeal in less than 5 minutes! Unsoaked oats can take anywhere from 15-25 minutes to cook.

- Provides a porridge texture – we love the porridge consistency of soaked oatmeal. It is not dry like standard oats, but is very smooth and delicious!

- Expands -thus stretching the oatmeal and you get more for your dollar! When you soak oatmeal it absorbs water, thus expanding and becoming more filling at the same time. Whereas unsoaked oatmeal only barely serves two of us (with the following recipe), the soaked version with make 4 significant hearty portions. That’s a frugal way to go with just a little foresight!

Soaked Oatmeal for 4 (multiply as desired)

1 1/2 cups uncooked rolled oats
1 1/2 cups water (to just cover the oats – see picture)
1 Tbsp acid medium (kefir, whey, or yogurt)
1/8  cup ground whole wheat flour (this helps break down the phytates more quickly, according to this article)
1-2 Tbsp ground almonds or other nuts (we use a coffee grinder dedicated to grinding nuts and seeds!), optional
Other toppings: ground flax seed, pumpkin seeds, chopped apples, raisins, shredded coconut flakes

1. I find it easiest to soak my oatmeal in a glass quart size jar. I fill with the oats and just cover slightly with fresh filtered water. But you can use any various container.

2. Add your acid medium, and nuts, as desired. Soaking the nuts help break down their unique phytates as well.

3. Cover with lid and shake to combine. Easy! Takes a matter of 3-4 minutes to get those oats soaking away. Put in a cupboard and allow to soak.

Ideally, it is best to soak oats for 24 hours, because they have the highest level of phytates. Oftentimes that doesn’t happen at our house, but I try to at least get it soaking the night before to get a good 12 hours in.

After soaking, heat up an additional 1 1/4 cups of water. After it boils, add the soaked oats, and any additional toppings you desire. We love chopped apples, raisins and shredded coconut. Turn down temperature to a simmer, and allow to cook for 5 minutes or so. Remove from heat and top with ground flax seeds, if desired.

Serve with butter, honey and fresh milk for a wonderful nutritious breakfast!

The flax seeds and nuts increase fiber and protein! Great for pregnant mommies too!

Visit Tammy’s Recipes for further kitchen tips.

113 Responses to Soaked Oatmeal Breakfast

1. Sharon May 18, 2011 at 3:19 pm #

What happens if you soak them longer than 24 hours? Is it still ok to eat?

• Lindsay May 19, 2011 at 12:57 pm #

Yes…I have soaked them for as many as 48 hours and they are totally fine…just a bit more sour.

2. Shannon April 25, 2011 at 8:33 am #

how do I unsubscribe for notification of comments on this? thanks so much.

3. joanna April 9, 2011 at 8:37 am #

If the amount made does not all get eaten that morning, can the remaining oatmeal be put in the fridge and heated up again the next day on the stove? And if so, do you lose any of the nutritional value in doing so? thanks!

• Ruta April 9, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

Joanna, any cooked product loses some nutrients with time, but I would not worry since it is refrigerated and that is such a short time. I’ve been baking oak groats so that I have enough to last a week. (See my previous comment on preparation.) It still tastes fine at the end of the week.

4. Jesica Ronning April 5, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

My family is now gluten free and we use the GF rolled oats and I was wondering what kind of flour can I use instead of the whole wheat? Thanks! :)

• Lindsay April 5, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

I would just skip it. I don’t know enough about gluten free to say if any other substitute would function in the same way.

5. Maria February 21, 2011 at 6:36 pm #

Hello,

I will like to know if I need to rinse the oatmeal in the morning before I put it to boil?

• Lindsay February 22, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

No, not at all.

6. adam January 27, 2011 at 10:48 am #

Is there any benefit in just simply soaking the grain with water only?

if not, please explain why. and the differences…

• Ruta January 27, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

All grains are naturally covered by phytates to keep them from sprouting prematurely. The phytates do not allow your body to digest nutrients in the grain. Soaking the grain in an acid medium (whey, orange juice, yogurt or kefir, water with vinegar or lemon juice) before cooking dissolves the phytates, allowing your body to use the nutrients in the grain.

7. Ruta January 2, 2011 at 7:09 am #

Lindsay,
    The article on adding another ground grain to break down more of the oat phytates did not include barley. Do you know if barley would work?

I’ve been soaking 3/4 cup oat groats with 1/4 cup barley in a covered dish with water and 1 tablespoon vinegar overnight. In the morning I discard the liquid, rinse the grains and add twice the amount of milk as grains and bake between 200 and 250 degrees about two or three hours. Then, each morning I take about 1/4 cup of the baked mixture, add 1/2 cup milk, heat to boiling and simmer about 7 minutes, stirring twice.

My grandmother always cooked oatmeal with milk. I’ve never understood why everyone else cooks oatmeal with water. Cereal tastes sooo much better with milk!

• Lindsay January 5, 2011 at 2:41 pm #

I do not know. Sorry!

8. Michelle November 4, 2010 at 3:09 pm #

I apologize in advance if you have already answered this question. I didn’t see it though… I’d like to make this for tomorrow. When do I add the ground whole wheat flour? In Step 2?

Thank you, Lindsay. I have included a lot of your recipes in our November menu. I am looking forward to trying them. :)

• Carrie April 22, 2011 at 11:36 am #

I know this is old, but I thought I’d answer anyway! :) i think you put the ground whole wheat flour in with the soaking mixture the day before. It helps with neutralizing the phytic acid, more than only using the acid medium. Hope that helps :)

• Michelle April 22, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

Thank you, Carrie. I’d remained curious about this.

• Lindsay April 25, 2011 at 6:05 am #

Yes, that is correct.

9. Nina Yardley October 24, 2010 at 9:03 pm #

I was wanting to increase my oatmeal consumption because of it’s benefits in lowering cholesterol. I know that the “old fashioned” oats are better than the quick cooking. I wonder, does the soaking decrease the benefits in lowering cholesterol? Is the undigestible fiber part of the benefit?

• Shannon November 21, 2010 at 10:03 am #

I’m curious about this too especially after hearing about the benefits of “resistant starch” – the carbs that aren’t totally digested by your lower intestines. Hopefully someone will pipe up with some info soon.

10. Curious_1 October 15, 2010 at 1:46 pm #

This is some great information here! …. silly question (?) … when using yoghurt as the acidic medium to soak oats in, overnight …. doesn’t the yoghurt spoil?

• Lindsay October 17, 2010 at 6:26 am #

Not at all. That is the benefits of cultured milk products.

11. Megan October 9, 2010 at 7:17 pm #

I make water kefir, can you soak with water kefir or is it not acidic enough? Thanks

• Lindsay October 11, 2010 at 8:03 pm #

You can definitely soak with water kefir – wonderful alternative.

12. Debra Worth June 25, 2010 at 4:30 am #

Are rolled oats whole grain? I always assumed they were, but read an article which confused me.

Are steel cut whole grain?

Can you use lemon as the acid medium? We don’t use a whole ton of dairy.

13. Linda May 12, 2010 at 7:28 pm #

I have found that pouring boiling water over oats and letting them sit til they soak up all the water gives them a less mushy consistency than cooking them, and it’s very quick. Is this okay from a health standpoint, since the oats are already “cooked” by being steamed when hulled? Thanks.

• Lindsay May 13, 2010 at 2:44 pm #

If you quickly cook them like that, you would not be able to achieve any benefits from soaking. The water has to be warm filtered water, but not boiling, then added together with a acid medium as described in the post if you want to incorporate the soaking.

14. Bonbon April 10, 2010 at 7:22 am #

Thanks! I was actually stumped about eating oats because on Weston Price, they said compared to other grains, oats is the hardest, or almost impossible to completely remove all the phytic acid. And rolled oats, due to high temperature when processing, is definitely not as nutritious as unprocessed oats. But now that I see your recipe, I realized no matter how try we try to strive for a “perfect” diet, we will never get there because it doesn't quite exist. There are always two ends to a stick. But knowing that you are trying the best you can, that is doing yourself big enough of a favor. All in all, thank you so much for sharing your healthy recipes with the rest of us. I look forward to have you share even more of your experiments with us in the kitchen.

15. Kristina March 28, 2010 at 6:30 pm #

Hi,
    I love soaked oatmeal. I was wondering if a dollup of plain low fat yogurt could be sub’d for the kefir? (I have been using a splash of Apple Cider Vinegar with good results for a while.) I made this recipe this morning with unsoaked oats and it was SO yummy I am going to make it with soaked oats and see out it turns out. Thought you might be interested in the recipe and site for ideas. http://www.katheats.com/kaths-tribute-to-oatmeal/
    Blessings!
    Kristina

• Lindsay March 29, 2010 at 8:54 am #

Yes, cultured dairy products or vinegar or lemon juice can we used for soaking.

• Mahlon October 20, 2010 at 3:10 am #

Hi,
        I tried soaking our oats overnight in water with a 1/2 teaspoon of apple cide vinegar. Yikes! We could hardly eat them – so vinegar-y was the taste. I’ll try kefir or the watery stuff on top of the yogurt next time.
        Thanks for the informational post. Mahlon

• andrew February 10, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

Would kombucha work? I brew my own and would like to find new ways to use it.

• Lindsay February 10, 2011 at 4:50 pm #

Yes, it would.

16. Jennifer March 27, 2010 at 7:56 pm #

This was delicious-thanks so much for posting it. I had never had oatmeal with coconut..that really made it for me. Thanks again-Jennifer

17. Carla March 11, 2010 at 7:36 am #

I really enjoyed this. Usually when I eat oatmeal my blood sugar drops so low later in the morning. I am waiting to see if that is going to happen. I feel so full and satisfied. It tasted kinda wheaty though. The taste grew on me as I ate it. This weekend I’ll try it on DH and see what he thinks.

18. danielle February 17, 2010 at 6:15 am #

when you say 1 tbsp whey – can you use whey protein powder?

19. Megan February 11, 2010 at 4:33 pm #

I’ve done the soaked baked oatmeal and look forward to trying this as well. Thanks!

20. Pam January 21, 2010 at 1:12 pm #

I was wondering that, too! I would like to try to soak oats (and a little rye flour) in a water/OJ mixture to prep for making an orange-walnut granola. Would that break down the phytates?

• Lindsay January 25, 2010 at 1:37 pm #

I do not know the answer to this question. I would try contacting Weston A Price foundation. They are always very helpful with these unusual questions. God bless!

21. Vanessa Weir December 19, 2009 at 10:34 pm #

Hi, this may be a silly question, but could you soak oats in unsweetened orange juice rather than lemon juice and water? (I am dairy-free)

22. Lisa Norsworthy November 3, 2009 at 8:13 am #

My Mom said when she was little, my grandmother would put their oatmeal in a double boiler and put it on top of the wood cookstove overnight…she said it was delicious. I’ve always wanted to be able to buy a miniature version of the oatmeal cookers they use in restaurants…it’s steam I believe. Has anyone ever seen one? I’ve used the double boiler before for app. 1 hour and it came out pretty smooth too…I’ll try soaking now.

23. Renee November 3, 2009 at 7:58 am #

I made this oatmeal this morning and I just have to say it is so good! My 3 yr. old loved it as well. Thank you for a easy, nutritious recipe that I will be using often. This was my first attempt at soaking and I love the results. I’m interested in soaking flour but I don’t know if that is possible with store-bought flour. Do you have any suggestions for a type of whole wheat to buy from the store if I do not have a mill?

• Lindsay November 4, 2009 at 7:39 am #

You can definitely soaked store-bought flour, it just is not as nutritious as freshly ground. Look for a good quality whole wheat (from hard winter or spring wheat), preferably in the bulk bins as it will be fresher than a package on the shelf. If you can get organic, go for that! If not, just use what you can afford.

24. Ashley October 6, 2009 at 7:09 am #

Hey Lindsay! Quick Question–I have been soaking my oats in apple cidar vinegar (I have a dairy sensitivity)–and have found that the oats retain a slightly vinegar taste that isn’t so yummy! Any suggestions? Does merely soaking the oats in water act on the phytates at all? Also, do you know anything about eating “raw oatmeal”–soaking the oats and not cooking them?

Thanks, peace and light,

Ashley

• Lindsay October 6, 2009 at 11:38 am #

Did you try decreasing the amount of ACV? Just use 1 Tbsp or so. How about soaking it in lemon juice? That might be a better option. Water alone will not break down the phytates unless it is soaked for a very very long time….or at least that is how I understand it. I have not tried raw oatmeal before.

25. Nancy September 29, 2009 at 7:33 am #

Here is interesting information about how whole oats are turned into oat groats. The stabilizing process is necessary so that the dehulled oats don’t go rancid! And we humans cannot eat the indigestible hull of the whole oat grain as harvested. So there you have it. I imagine all flaked oats are made from stabilized groats, which will probably confound raw food people! The information below explains why oat groats do not sprout. I still suspect that soaking oat groats makes them more digestible. I found some data that suggest that soaking in acidic water for 24 hours reduces phytates in oats somewhat. But oats are low in phytase enzyme, so if you want to enhance phytate removal, you can add some freshly milled wheat flour which is high in phytase to help the process along. Hope this answers some questions.

Dehulling
    Separation of the outer hull from the inner oat groat is effected by means of centrifugal acceleration. Oats are fed by gravity onto the center of a horizontally spinning stone which accelerates them towards the outer ring. Groat and hull are separated on impact with this ring. The lighter oat hulls are then aspirated away while the denser oat groats are taken to the next step of processing.

Kilning (stabiliizing)
    Oat groats are then passed through a heat and moisture treatment to balance moisture, but mainly to stabilize the groat. Oat groats are high in fat (lipids) and once exposed from their protective hull, enzymatic (lipase) activity begins to break down the fat into free fatty acids, ultimately causing an off flavor or rancidity. Oats will begin to show signs of enzymatic rancidity within 4 days of being dehulled and not stabilized. This process is primarily done in food grade plants, not in feed grade plants. An oat groat is not considered a raw oat groat if it has gone through this process: the heat has disrupted the germ, and the oat groat will not sprout.

26. lynn September 17, 2009 at 11:00 am #

I hope you don’t mind one more question, I just really want to know:
    the reason soaking things works is because of the sprouting factor. Grains are seeds, and like nuts, if you soak them they prepare to sprout, and thus the phytates are reduced. But if oats are steamed (and they are, to dehull them) then they are not raw. Can there really be any enzyme activity since rolled oats are pre-cooked? What I mean is, since oats are not raw, can the phytates really be reduced by soaking?
    thanks again.

• Lindsay September 18, 2009 at 1:17 pm #

I really do not have an answer to your question. I have never heard that they are cooked in the dehulling process. I am following the recommendations of Nourishing Traditions and others in recommending you soak your oats. This may be why they prefer steel cut oats, but I always thought it was due to the fact they were slightly less processed in the production of them.

• Nancy September 29, 2009 at 6:40 am #

I have wondered the same thing, I tried sprouting the bulk whole oat groats that I use to make oatmeal and they don’t sprout! However, I’m not sure that breaking down phytates and sprouting are the same thing. Does anyone know?

My husband loves granola and so I have beeen soaking whole oat groats for 24 hours, drying them in a very low oven, and then rolling the soaked oats for the granola. Sally Fallon does not recommend granola since it is essentially eating a non-cooked grain (if made with uncooked unsoaked rolled oats).

Thanks,

Nancy

27. lynn September 11, 2009 at 7:18 pm #

Where do you find uncooked oats? I was on a raw food diet for awhile, and learned that oats have to be steamed to be dehulled. So oats wouldn’t be raw- and wouldn’t have enzymatic activity when soaked.

• Lindsay September 13, 2009 at 11:10 am #

In the bulk food section of most food stores, you should be able to find rolled or quick oats. We used rolled oats from our food co-op, Azure Standard.

• Lindsay September 13, 2009 at 11:10 am #

Also, Quaker Oats come in a packaged container if you can’t find a bulk option.

28. Allison August 15, 2009 at 7:36 pm #

You mention filtered water. Do you have a post where you’ve expounded on your choice of filtration type? I can’t keep up with what the best water choices are and would like your thoughts.

• Lindsay August 18, 2009 at 6:00 pm #

I wrote a post about water filters awhile back here and many people recommended the Berkey Water filtration system.

29. Michele May 20, 2009 at 5:59 pm #

I really want to soak my oatmeal. My son is allergic to dairy and am wondering if I could use lemon juice and if so how much? Thank you.

• Lindsay May 21, 2009 at 9:23 am #

Yes, I would use 1 Tbsp lemon juice for this recipe.

30. Jacqualine Chamberlain April 21, 2009 at 10:35 am #

Over the last couple of months I have started adding more natural grains and foods into my family’s diet (thank you for all your helpful information). I made some yogurt whey a couple of days ago just so I could try this recipe for my 10yr old daughter. I put everything in a mason jar and set it in the cabinet and went off to be giddy that I would try my first soaked grain/oats in the morning. Then my mommy brain kicked in…I forgot about it. I was wondering if there is a limit to how long the grain/oats should soak.

• Lindsay April 21, 2009 at 3:24 pm #

I would not worry about it. It will only get more sour if you soak longer but is not harmful in any way.

31. Katie @ 3 Blondes and a Redhead March 25, 2009 at 11:25 am #

You got me at “pregnant mommies!” I’ve never heard of soaking oats, but am totally on board. I just need to pick up some whey and I’ll be in business. Thanks so much for sharing – I’m bookmarking this post!

32. Kissel March 19, 2009 at 7:21 pm #

I am gluten sensitive, though I am okay with certain oats the suggested use of wheat flour will not work for me. Any suggestions of GF flours that will serve the same purpose?

• Lindsay March 20, 2009 at 8:32 pm #

I would recommend contacting Amanda Rose, the original author that wrote of the importance of the addition of wheat to the soaking process and direct that question to her. You can contact her through her website here: http://www.rebuild-from-depression.com/

33. CarrieK January 31, 2009 at 2:01 pm #

Once you get the soaking down, try flaking your own oatmeal or grinding your own steelcut oats. It’s much cheaper to buy the oat groats, and really easy to find organic oat groats. You just flake or grind the amount you need at that time. You will have much fresher oatmeal. Saves on packaging too. Thanks for your recipes!

• Lindsay March 20, 2009 at 8:34 pm #

Actually, I looked into your suggestion, and found through Azure Standard that oat groats and rolled oats are sold for the same price.

34. Alyssa January 20, 2009 at 6:23 am #

I tried this over the weekend and it was VERY good!!!

35. Sara January 19, 2009 at 7:50 pm #

This recipe was fantastic! I used Kefir and steel cut oats and my house guest ate it all up and loved it! Thanks so much :)

36. Aimee January 14, 2009 at 2:41 pm #

Thanks Lindsay…I’ll try that recipe…although I’ll probably 1/2 the recipe b/c it looks like it makes a TON!

37. Aimee January 14, 2009 at 2:21 pm #

Okay, I made the oatmeal this morning and my kids aren’t totally thrilled with it because they are used to my making baked oatmeal. They like the baked consistency better. This is the recipe that I use:

Would you mind looking at my recipe and telling me how I could soak the oats for it? Would I just soak them in the milk? But it wouldn’t be enough? Thanks for any thoughts you could give me on adapting this recipe for soaking!

• Lindsay January 14, 2009 at 2:30 pm #

I have a soaked baked oatmeal recipe as well. You can view it here. It is at the end of the menu plan.

38. Alyssa January 1, 2009 at 5:48 am #

I have just stumbled upon your site and have another question. When you are ready to make it the next morning after soaking, do you dump out the soaked water (kind of strain the soaked oats from the water) and then pour it into the boiling water, or do you take the entire combo of soaked oats and the water that it was soaked in, and pour it into the boiling water?

Thanks again.

• Lindsay January 1, 2009 at 8:52 am #

No straining is necessary. Just dump the entire soaked contents into your freshly boiled water and there you have it!

39. Food Diva November 29, 2008 at 12:09 am #

Thanks for the great information and details. Couldn’t get the ratios and specific amounts on other sites so had to guess. My rolled oats are soaking and I’m looking forward to a yummy and nutritious breakfast Saturday morning. So, top o’ the mornin’ to you and yours!

40. Susanna October 17, 2008 at 12:15 pm #

What can I do to keep the oatmeal from tasting acidic b/c of the kefir? We had our first soaked oatmeal this a.m. and my husband couldn’t even eat his. It was very sour tasting (even though I sweetened it with maple syrup.) I only soaked it overnight – was that the problem? Should I try lemon juice instead?
    I’ve spent hours on your website recently learning so much. Thanks for all your work – I know you are blessing many families!!

• Lindsay October 17, 2008 at 1:09 pm #

I use kefir every time practically, and most often just overnight like you tried. The only time I experience this problem is when my kefir is too sour from having cultured too long. Maybe your kefir was too strong? And you don’t need more than 1 Tbsp as well.
      Hope that helps!

• Susanna October 30, 2008 at 9:02 am #

Thanks, Lindsay. I switched over to yogurt and haven’t had any problem since. It does taste a tiny bit sour, but it’s definitely something we can work with! I still need to perfect my kefir…

41. Kristina September 29, 2008 at 1:06 pm #

I am going to have to try this out sounds wonderful. My hubby is into those little instant oatmeal packs…ugg… Thanks so much

42. Carol September 19, 2008 at 3:37 pm #

Thanks for the instructions! I’ve read on your blog before about soaking oats and wondered what there was to it. I now have a portion soaking for tomorrow’s breakfast :-)

43. nikki September 18, 2008 at 3:28 pm #

I have my 2nd batch of the week soaking right now! I’ve really enjoyed finding your site this week:-)
    Blessings,
    Nikki

44. donna September 18, 2008 at 5:59 am #

Ohhh that’s the secret:) I’d given up on rolled oats because I could never get it to be the texture of the oats that I purchase at restaurants. Now I know what to do:)

I have since switched to steel cut, I tend to like those even better however every now and again rolled oats does the trick when I don’t want something quite as hearty as the steel cut so will be trying this soon, with both types actually.

45. Org Junkie September 16, 2008 at 7:15 pm #

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed!

46. Brenda September 16, 2008 at 3:46 pm #

Our favorite toppings for soaked oatmeal include: sprouted dried pecan’s, dried apricots and a bit of maple syrup. Absolutely yummy!

47. Sarah September 16, 2008 at 1:08 pm #

I am assuming the recipe is for old fashioned oats. What do you think the cook time would be for quick oats?

• Lindsay September 17, 2008 at 10:50 am #

This recipe applies to both quick and old fashioned oats. They both fall into the category of rolled oats.

48. Stacy September 16, 2008 at 9:28 am #

Do you have a preference for kefir, yogurt or whey for soaking?

I have only used yogurt so far. Usually this is fine,however, once the oats just tasted like yogurt..I wonder if it was the kind of yogurt I used or perhaps I used too much. I assume that whey would add the least amount of flavor, but that is just a guess.

I’ve never tried it with the flour added. I’m excited to do that. Looks like we will be having oats for breakfast tomorrow!
    Stacy

• Lindsay September 16, 2008 at 9:58 am #

I prefer kefir for the majority of my soaking and especially for oatmeal.

49. Michele @ Frugal Granola September 16, 2008 at 8:18 am #

We use steel cut oats at our our house, but have found that they require an extra cup of water when cooking (soaking stays the same).

When we travel, I like to make up a batch to take with us, since it needs to sit for so long. Then, when we’re ready too cook it, all have to do is add water! :)

Blessings,
    Michele

• Lindsay September 16, 2008 at 9:58 am #

Thanks Michele for sharing!

50. Bonnie September 16, 2008 at 5:39 am #

What do you know about steel cut oats? Should they be soaked? I’ve read they are the best oats to buy. Bonnie

• Lindsay September 16, 2008 at 6:46 am #

Yes, steel cut oats are to be soaked in the same manner and could be completely replaced for the rolled oats in the recipe. Steel cut are the best oats to purchase because they have gone through the least amount of processing to get their shape. But I prefer the taste and texture of rolled oats.