- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (whole wheat pastry/soft spring wheat is the best!)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup rapadura or sucanat (natural sweeteners)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup butter or coconut oil, melted – or replace with half applesauce, as desired
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup rapadura, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 12 muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling 3/4 full (Definitely fill all 12, otherwise they will overflow).
- Optional: In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 cup rapadura, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins. I normally just sprinkle with cinnamon and a little rapadura.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
Blueberry Variation: Replace bananas with 1 cup of fresh or frozen blueberries and 3/4 cup applesauce. Yum!
Visit Tammy’s Recipes for further inspiration!
Original recipe tweaked from Allrecipes.com