I read this article recently that informed me that you can prepare and cook practically anything in the microwave. Their reasons – it is fast! This concerned me greatly. First off, why are we in such a rush to have our food prepared in 1 minute? Why not slow down and enjoy the gift of life and the process of preparing quality food for your family? Does it concern you at all that you can cook potatoes in four minutes with the microwave? Doesn’t that seem a little unnatural? It does indeed use the least amount of electricity in the kitchen (although the differences are minimal, as described here - $0.04 per kwh vs. $0.10 for toaster oven, & $0.20 for electric oven), but it’s rapid cooking power might just cause some problems.
This article was interesting (sorry, made an error on the links previously):
Microwaves are thought to destroy and deform food molecules. In fact, one study published in the Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture found that broccoli “zapped” in the microwave with a little water lost up to 97 percent of the beneficial antioxidant chemicals it contains.
So what’s the rush to possibly destroy some of the nutritional value of your food? Other concerns have been possible connection to cancer, brain tumors, immune system deficiencies, and the list goes on. There is indeed much controversy over the health concerns of microwaves, and I am not totally convinced of the harmfulness of its use, but I am just providing some food for thought, and maybe we should all step back and consider. Why would Russia ban the use of microwaves in 1976? Interesting to note.
Benefits of the Toaster Oven
We bought a toaster oven off Craigslist for just $20, and I love it for the following reasons:
1. Heats food slowly and naturally like a standard oven.
2. Uses less electricity than standard oven - for a small family, you can bake practically anything in it for far less time, because it doesn’t have to heat up such a large space, as in an oven. This results in using less electricity (although the differences are not drastically significant). I bake casseroles, toast bread, reheat leftovers, and thaw food (on those forgetful days!) all in my toaster oven!
3. Simplifies your kitchen – no need for a toaster or a microwave, and even an oven at times! Why do we need so many different appliances and gadgets? Why not simplify by choicing options that can accomplish two or more tasks in one!
4. Don’t have to heat up the whole kitchen! Especially on a hot day, this is a great alternative than the oven!
5. Works as a warming oven- keep already cooked food warm before serving! Another advantage is when you have multiple things needing to be baked, when needing to cook two things at different temperatures -
6. Easy clean up! If something spills, you simply pull out the tray!
7. Great for small places and reasonably priced!
Just some things to consider…