Monday night we had ones of those shocking experiences…we were soundly sleeping in bed when we bulted upright at the sound of a large crash and broken glass at 3:30 in the morning. Do you know what thoughts were going through my head? Someone is breaking into our house!!!! Grab the babe and run!!
Archive | January, 2008
Live simply that others might simply live. ~Elizabeth Seaton
The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak. ~Hans Hofmann
Eliminate physical clutter. More importantly, eliminate spiritual clutter. ~D.H. Mondfleur
We don’t need to increase our goods nearly as much as we need to scale down our wants. Not wanting something is as good as possessing it. ~Donald Horban
Karis in her BumGenius!
Cloth diapers! There are so many cute diapers out there now and it’s so simple! No dunking necessary! Why in the world would I pursue this route? My main reason for cloth diapering was so I could spend more of our budget on good wholesome food (prioritizing my spending). But there are several other benefits…
Valentine’s Day should be like any other day…but then again, it is a good reminder to get a little more creative this time around! I love expressing my appreciation to my hubby, but being that creativity is not my forte, I need help! How can we express our love in a simple, frugal and most importantly, meaningful way?
Here are a few ideas from our household…
More nutritious desserts that won’t kill you! I wish I had pictures, but alas, you will just have to take my word for it, these are good! Don’t you love the thought of making good wholesome desserts? I sure do…that is why I am always experimenting with recipes and tweaking them to make them healthy!
Did you know that you can save water and electricity by using your dishwasher? I would never had believed this if it were not for a recent stumbling upon an article which said: “Doing only full loads of laundry and –this one is a surprise – using your dishwasher instead of hand-washing dishes saves water. A fully loaded dishwasher cuts the water used to do dishes.” (Gregg Horn, Living Green)
“A wealthy plantation owner invited John Wesley to his home. The two rode their horses all day, seeing just a fraction of all the man owned. At the end of the day, the plantation owner proudly asked, ‘Well, Mr. Wesley, what do you think?’ After a moment’s silence, Wesley replied, ‘I think you’re going to have a hard time leaving all this.”
~ Retold in Randy Alcorn’s, Money, Possessions & Eternity
The question is, are we living in such a way that this world or the next is our home? Where are my attachments? Am I accumulating assets for this life or the life to come?
I am sure all of you are way ahead of me in this area, but I am in the learning process of making my own baby food for Karis. This week I was evaluating if the extra work was really worth it. The convenience of buying prepared baby food in the jars is so tempting for me. Earth’s Best has organic baby food! I have proven that it is indeed true.
Mountain Rose Herbs is a wonderfully superior source of organic unrefined and refined coconut oil, and at the best price around! At $41 per gallon, it is significantly cheaper than even Azure Standard (which is around $34 for 1/2 gallon). If you are interested in hearing more about this excellent oil and its multiple uses, check out these posts.
Many Health Benefits of Coconut Oil – this is a post by Stephanie’s mom-in-law!
I have greatly been enjoying the use of this product! Lately, I started using it in replacement of lotion. A little dab will do you! But it is wonderful for the skin and hair. I apply it directly to my hair as a conditioner of sorts after getting out of the shower. In eating, I use it to stir-fry, grease my pans (as it is a more solid substance), throw it in smoothies, use it in replacement of oil or butter at times in my baking (usually half and half) and whatever else I can think of! Today I made pancakes and applied it liberally on the pan (more than usual) to prevent sticking…it added a wonderful flavor. Aaron loved it! Normally, you can hardly taste a difference, that is why it works so well!
Why do we think it is impossible to live nutritiously and organically on a budget? It is because we are buying everything in a box or can! These pre-made packages of so called “organic” goodness are not as healthy as I originally thought and they jack up the food budget. The simple solution: make them yourself! It really is not as hard as you think.
- Paula’s Bread: NutriMill Grain Grinder Giveaway! January 14, 2012
- 6 Reasons Why I Love My Dehydrator & Giveaway July 9, 2010
- Graham Gardens Giveaway! July 9, 2011
- Graham Gardens Christmas Gift Set Giveaway! November 12, 2012
- Primer on Essential Oils & Giveaway! June 22, 2010
- Learn Your Letters, Learn to Serve Giveaway! June 25, 2011
- Sprout Change Cloth Diaper Giveaway! June 11, 2011
- NaturoKits Giveaway! February 5, 2011
- Graham Gardens Summer Essentials Giveaway! June 2, 2012
- My Favorite Cloth Diapers Giveaway! October 20, 2012
- Till We Meet Again… February 8, 2013
- Can Natural Living Become an Idol? February 6, 2013
- Redeeming Childbirth Giveaway! February 4, 2013
- Preparing My Heart for Motherhood February 1, 2013
- Embracing the Pain & Letting Go of Fear in Childbirth January 30, 2013
- Homemade Natural Postpartum Care Kit January 28, 2013
- Paula’s Bread Giveaway! January 26, 2013
- What is the purpose of the home? January 23, 2013
- Homemade All-Natural Deodorant January 18, 2013
- Finding Joy in Your Homemaking January 16, 2013
- sapmachines.nl: Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really appreci...
- Maggie: Rach- it's a total myth, actually. ALL baking so...
- Rach: Great recipe - I've made some up and found it eff...
- Katie: I was so excited to try this. I ordered this fabri...
- Homemade Pizza + My Favorite Dough Recipe | this daily portion: [...] pizza dough recipes, but this has been my fa...
- best seo company toronto: Hey! I realize this is sort of off-topic however I...
- Star: you are in point of fact a just right webmaster. T...
- frp tanks: Awesome issues here. I'm very happy to look your ...
- newgirl: oh my!!! For 30 years I have been using Health Fo...
- Vern: Vinegar in a dishwasher is NOT, I repeat, NOT a go...